Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#801 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:00 PM

Looks like the Fort & Blanshard Startbucks is up for renos, their BP was issued last week

That location has always bothered me in the fact that it previously was in the Downtown neighbourhood but mysteriously got transferred to Fairfield. I"ve been complaining about it for years. It's this tiny notch in the official city map that only takes in the Starbucks.

It may seem trivial but this type of thing has started world wars.

• Mike K. likes this

#802 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:20 PM

That location has always bothered me in the fact that it previously was in the Downtown neighbourhood but mysteriously got transferred to Fairfield. I"ve been complaining about it for years. It's this tiny notch in the official city map that only takes in the Starbucks.

It may seem trivial but this type of thing has started world wars.

Rob,

Wouldn't that whole block be considered Fairfield (including all of the "Fort Street Common", or are you saying that the Starbucks alone is in Fairfield whilst neighbouring businesses like La Taquisa remain in 'downtown'?

#803 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:33 PM

Original map:

old.jpg

Current map:

new.jpg

I know it's hard to read but you can see the Starbucks notch at Fort and Blanshard and how it's now in Fairfield. This would affect community consultation on rezonings and variances.

Edited by Rob Randall, 29 April 2020 - 12:35 PM.

#804 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for showing that Rob. 

To be honest, since the neighbouring businesses were already in Fairfield, I'm ok with the city including Starbucks as part of Fairfield; otherwise the landlord is going to be dealing with one neighbourhood for most tenants and another neighbourhood for Starbucks matters.

Disclosure:  I'm a Fairfield resident but I would be happy to have the downtown boundary move south to Burdett Street (between Quadra and Blanshard) so that the YMCA development site, courthouse, and adjacent park are all 'downtown', along with *every* business at the SE corner of Fort/Blanshard .

• Nparker likes this

#805 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:12 PM

Traitor! I may as well call you Neville Chamberlain! What other empire will you appease! We will never surrender an inch!

#806 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,856 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:16 PM

I was going to say. kk might want to go into hiding after that remark.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#807 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

Moka House @ Cook Street Village has dropped their long-time ice cream supplier Island Farms in favour of a new supplier:  Central Smith (out of Ontario) :  http://www.centralsmith.ca .

Note that they are now selling it in small, pre-scooped containers due to the current COVID outbreak...

#808 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:59 PM

Moka House @ Cook Street Village has dropped their long-time ice cream supplier Island Farms in favour of a new supplier:  Central Smith (out of Ontario) :  http://www.centralsmith.ca .

Note that they are now selling it in small, pre-scooped containers due to the current COVID outbreak...

I hope they have some good flavours!

#809 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:31 AM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but the space formerly occupied by Serious Coffee on Broad Street has signs up for a business called "Tres Gourmet Cafe & Bakery".

#810 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

Not sure which unit, but there's a BP issued for tenant improvements for a new cafe at 655 Fort Street. "Flourish Beautea" is the name of the business.

#811 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:42 AM

Most tea and coffee shops are putting the cream behind the counter no more self serve station I like the control but I guess that’s what made the double double. I’m not sure how the coffee shop cream station has been acceptable? I guess the coffee is pretty hot.

Edited by todd, 26 May 2020 - 12:42 AM.

#812 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:45 AM

It's more work for staff, but I don't see another solution to that that doesn't have multiple people handling carafes or pushing buttons every day.

#813 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

Lots of stuff that seemed normal before won’t be back for a long time. Cream stations, ketchup bottles on the table, crayons for kids colouring, etc.

Matt.

#814 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:43 AM

I guess individual creamers, ketchup packets, box of three single use crayons.
  • Matt R. and kxl like this

#815 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:48 AM

I don’t know who these freaks are who can drink their coffee black.
  • Nparker, lanforod and FogPub like this

#816 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

I guess individual creamers, ketchup packets, box of three single use crayons.

What a waste of perfectly good crayons.
  • Matt R. and todd like this

#817 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:04 AM

What a waste of perfectly good crayons.

Rather waste a crayon than a life.

#818 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:06 AM

I'd love to know the statistics on crayon-borne COVID-19 infections.

• todd likes this

#819 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:21 AM

Lots of places already give kids 3/4 packs of crayons. Boston Pizza for example. Reusable crayons just doesn't work anyways, kids break them.

• todd likes this

#820 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

We would put an ice pack at the bottom of the creamers one time had somebody tell us off thought we were leaving creamers out.

Edited by todd, 26 May 2020 - 11:00 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users