Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#861 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:31 PM

The Good Earth location on Oak Bay Avenue caught fire and the building has since been evacuated:  https://www.cheknews...-avenue-705466/

#862 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:48 PM

It was for sale, wasn’t it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#863 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:58 PM

yes

#864 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 02:41 PM

Tim Hortons to open drive-throughs in every major city and town in Britain, creating 2,000 jobs

The pandemic had caused a spike in demand for drive-through service

https://financialpos...expansion-in-uk

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 October 2020 - 02:41 PM.

#865 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:47 AM

Tim Hortons to open drive-throughs in every major city and town in Britain, creating 2,000 jobs

The pandemic had caused a spike in demand for drive-through service

https://financialpos...expansion-in-uk

It'll be interesting to see if that demand holds up after the pandemic is over, particularly in Britain where in many areas driving isn't as big a thing as it is here.

#866 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

It'll be interesting to see if that demand holds up after the pandemic is over, particularly in Britain where in many areas driving isn't as big a thing as it is here.

They do love a good queue though

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#867 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

^They do love queueing. And I love words with five consecutive vowels.

Yes, England has great pedestrian friendly big cities. But it is also as car dependent as we are once you get out of the big urban centres. I am not a fan of this, especially after hearing about the number of traditional pubs forced to close. I like to travel to see different cultures and a TH in every town is just, ugh. But I guarantee it will be a big hit. 

#868 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

I was in Mayfair mall today and the only thing that was lined up was TH.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#869 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:33 PM

That’s normal for Mayfair.

#870 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:42 PM

Cozy cafe sits in Foul Bay Rd beside Hot House Pizza with lots of exposure. Parking out front of shop. Gathering spot for nearby residents. The cafe offers a satisfying selection of bake goods, sandwiches and drinks. It went through a $70,000 renovation in 2016 with another $70,000 of new equipment; total of $140,000 upgrade. It is close to Camosun College (Lansdowne), less than 10 mins walk. It is on major bus route #4 #7 #14 #15. Please do not contact staff or owner directly regarding sale.

$70,000

https://www.realtor....k-bay-henderson

841553_1.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#871 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:55 PM

Cadboro Bay Starbucks location to close permanently after 16 years

https://www.goldstre...after-16-years/

Cadboro Bay residents are preparing to say goodbye to their neighbourhood Starbucks location set to close its doors in less than a week.

A notice dated Oct. 18 and posted on the door of the shop at 3849 Cadboro Bay Rd. says it closes permanently on Sunday (Oct. 25).

“We would like to thank you for being a part of our store community; you are the heart of who we are at Starbucks. We are very thankful to have played a role in your daily routine and that you have shared these moments of your life with us,” the notice reads.

The note lists the three next closest Starbucks locations – Torquay Village, Shelbourne Plaza and the Fort/Foul Bay – and suggests reaching out to the Cadboro Bay baristas during the location’s final week to ask which shop they’ll be transferring to.

The reason for the closure isn’t listed in the notice and residents are “frantically trying to find out more details,” said Eric Dahli, president of the Cadboro Bay Residents’ Association (CBRA).

“What we’ve heard is that it’s quote ‘a corporate decision,’” Dahli said, noting that this wasn’t enough information for the CBRA. The members have reached out to the local Business Improvement Association to find out more about why the Seattle-based coffee chain is leaving Cadboro Bay after 16 years, he explained.

#872 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:22 PM

^ Starbucks said back in June they had plans to close around 200 stores in Canada

#873 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:25 PM

That's a nice location for a coffee shop. I hope a competing outlet goes in there. 

The Starbucks at Yates and Quadra remains closed. They have yet to empty it out so who knows it may reopen next year. Maybe. 

#874 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:21 AM

The reason for the closure isn’t listed in the notice and residents are “frantically trying to find out more details,” said Eric Dahli, president of the Cadboro Bay Residents’ Association (CBRA).

“What we’ve heard is that it’s quote ‘a corporate decision,’” Dahli said, noting that this wasn’t enough information for the CBRA. The members have reached out to the local Business Improvement Association to find out more about why the Seattle-based coffee chain is leaving Cadboro Bay after 16 years, he explained.

that's truly a first-world problem.

more details?  locked.  closed.  over.  finished.  

frantic!  hopefully they will call a special emergency meeting of the CBRA.  maybe see if they can get a court injunction against the closure.  enough is enough starbucks!  you've awoken the sleeping giant that is the CBRA.  don't you know they almost left saanich, that's how (self) important they are.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2020 - 04:26 AM.

• Mike K. and grantpalin like this

#875 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:08 AM

It was my understanding that unless a starbucks location WITHOUT drive thru was doing phenomenal, they were closing them. Every time I speak to their location rep, they are only interested in drive thru locations for the future, unless of course we are talking a major metropolitan city with high pedestrian counts

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#876 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:13 PM

I don't mind Starbucks, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit one. Now, if something like Discovery opened there I would go out of my way to pick something up.

#877 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

I don't mind Starbucks, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit one. Now, if something like Discovery opened there I would go out of my way to pick something up.

Why go to Starbucks? After all, you have a coffee shop named after your handle (QV): https://www.qvcoffeehouse.com/

;-)
  • qv likes this

#878 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:46 PM

It was my understanding that unless a starbucks location WITHOUT drive thru was doing phenomenal, they were closing them. Every time I speak to their location rep, they are only interested in drive thru locations for the future, unless of course we are talking a major metropolitan city with high pedestrian counts

Now that’s disappointing. The last thing we need right now is more drive thrus. Hope the local munis step up and don’t allow any new ones (if they haven’t already).
  • Brantastic and FogPub like this

#879 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

Sounds like we need more drive-thrus?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#880 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:54 PM

Now that’s disappointing. The last thing we need right now is more drive thrus. Hope the local munis step up and don’t allow any new ones (if they haven’t already).

more drive thrus means less surface parking lots.

and more distracted driving.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users