Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#961 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:17 PM

I believe Upgrade Labs is a Dave Aspey company.   If you want to live to 120 (or longer), this is the place for you!

I'm surprised that Victoria is the 3rd location for this venture.  I didn't know we had so many bio-hackers in our midst.

• Barrrister likes this

#962 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:36 PM

Let’s not forget Michael Forbes, he’s got a bio hacking outfit too in his portfolio of weed shops, brewery, pharmacies, etc.

No word on what he takes in his coffee.

https://agelessliving.com/

Matt.
  • Freedom57 likes this

#963 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:25 PM

Let’s not forget Michael Forbes, he’s got a bio hacking outfit too in his portfolio of weed shops, brewery, pharmacies, etc.

No word on what he takes in his coffee.

https://agelessliving.com/

Matt.

Oh yes!  I wonder what happened to them.  Didn't they close their downtown location in the year before Covid?  Perhaps we don't have as many bio-hackers as they need to keep the businesses in business.

Edited by Freedom57, 21 February 2021 - 01:25 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#964 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

When I first met Michael Forbes he was my pharmacist. He sure has grown from that.

Now I have one of his sons living next door to me.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#965 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:50 AM

Become part of the Good Earth family, a great Canadian franchise with over 50 locations across the country. This beautifully built out corporate location is prominently located at the high traffic corner of Oak Bay Ave & Foul Bay. The Village Walk condo building was built by award winning developer Abstract Developments and has 22 condos above the ground floor commercial. The interior space has over height ceilings and great natural light from large retail windows on three sides. Good Earth has thoughtfully designed the interior with a well laid out floor plan allowing for soft comfortable seating throughout creating a cosy yet modern café atmosphere. This is extended to the covered patio with seating available on both sides of the building. The sale price includes the franchise fee, all franchise training, assets/equipment and the franchisor will be upgrading several pieces of equipment for the next operator.

$175,000

https://www.realtor....ctoria-rockland

#966 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:54 AM

It was listed for $260k in December of 2019.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#967 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:45 PM

Am I to understand the lease on this Oak Bay Cafe is $10,000 a month? 

Wasn't it for sale in 2019 for $75,000?

This is strange..

TFord

#968 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:48 PM

IF the lease is 10K a month I just dont see selling that many coffee's But who knows?

• Matt R. likes this

#969 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:58 PM

I’d wanna see 1.5 million plus in sales for that lease amount, and there’s just no way.

They are paying better than 10% of gross in rent, which is nuts.

Matt.

#970 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:04 AM

Am I to understand the lease on this Oak Bay Cafe is $10,000 a month? 

Wasn't it for sale in 2019 for $75,000?

This is strange..

TFord

It's technically within the City of Victoria, but on the Oak Bay border. The benefits of Victoria taxes, but in 'Oak Bay!'

In 2019 it was for sale at $260k, and has now slid to $175k.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#971 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:25 AM

Does anyone actually know if the lease is really 10k a month?

#972 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:48 AM

You must have a dream lease Matt. Many places I know are 8-12%.

I’d wanna see 1.5 million plus in sales for that lease amount, and there’s just no way.

They are paying better than 10% of gross in rent, which is nuts.

Matt.

#973 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:44 PM

No, my lease is terrible. Lol.

I hope those places you speak of pay a more appropriate percentage outside of pandemic times when sales are normal.

Matt.

#974 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:54 PM

No no, that was prepandemic... I didn’t say they were the most profitable places! Good way to lose half your profit if you pay too much for rent.
  • Matt R. likes this

#975 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:57 AM

Someone on Oak Bay Local on FB posted that there is a new coffee shop coming to replace the former Starbucks in Cadboro Bay. Someone suggested Discovery Coffee but they said "It is NOT going to be Discovery Coffee. I am not able to say who it is but it's a great local coffee shop". I wonder what it'll be. Cafe Fantastico? Moka House?

Edited by Brantastic, 01 March 2021 - 11:05 AM.

#976 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

Someone on Oak Bay Local on FB posted that there is a new coffee shop coming to replace the former Starbucks in Cadboro Bay. Someone suggested Discovery Coffee but they said "It is NOT going to be Discovery Coffee. I am not able to say who it is but it's a great local coffee shop". I wonder what it'll be. Cafe Fantastico? Moka House?

This reminds me of how Gonzales Coffee replaced the former Starbucks in Fairfield Plaza...

#977 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:55 AM

Serious Coffee, maybe?

#978 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:14 AM

Serious Coffee, maybe?

That'd be surprising, since they've been closing locations around Victoria and other cities around the island for years now. Mayfair, Broad Street, James Bay, and Cook Street Village have all recently closed.

#979 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:35 PM

That'd be surprising, since they've been closing locations around Victoria and other cities around the island for years now. Mayfair, Broad Street, James Bay, and Cook Street Village have all recently closed.

Oak Bay Avenue also. I seem to recall that the Cook St Village one closed because the lease was up for renewal, and the landlord wanted a higher rate than the store owner could sustain. That's not necessarily a fault of Serious Coffee the brand.

#980 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:21 AM

Much to my sadness, yes - I'd come to quite like the Cook St Village one, and used to stop off at the Mayfair one now and then.  The Oak Bay Ave one is still there as a coffee place, but a different operator.

There's still a Serious Coffee in Esquimalt Plaza and I think one or two more further west, so they're not dead yet.

Edited by FogPub, 03 March 2021 - 04:21 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users