Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#1061 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 02:42 PM

I can't imagine this is helpful in our ever-divided society. Matt R. brought this to my attention. Here's a preview. You can check out the full posts here: https://www.instagra.../p/Ceq-QLfFt_z/

Bows and Arrows coffee roasters on Garbally Road in Victoria's Burnside-Gorge neighbourhood published a request for resumes two days ago with a caveat that white cisgendered men would be last in line for employment.

"We're currently hiring," read Bows and Arrows' post on the company's Instagram account, which then described various positions available for potential employees. The posting ended with the following: "At this time, yt [sic] CIS males are back of the line."

The call for labour elicited a large response on social media critical of the unorthodox employee selection process, to which Bows and Arrows responded by calling messages it received a "s***storm" that was "taking up space," and an example of "white fragility." The post then went on to say white male applicants "often apply with little to no experience and presume their affinity and enthusiasm for coffee will grant them equal or favourable standing," and that such applicants are "under-qualified but undeterred. It's a thing."

Today, the company issued another statement, apologizing to non-cisgendered individuals who may face a "potentially dangerous and definitely intrusive disclosure" if they apply to the roastery given its public hiring preferences. The company did not issue a direct apology for what many people said was a discriminatory hiring practice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1062 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 03:05 PM

Correcting a perceived injustice with this type of discrimination is despicable, but unsurprising in today's absurd woke culture.

I hope Bows and Arrows is prepared for the backlash.
  • LJ likes this

#1063 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 04:28 PM

I occasionally pop into Bows and Arrows to pick-up one of their finer whole bean coffees (it's on my way home from work) ... a practice that will now come to a very permanent stop.

I hope many other customers feel the same way I do.

This isn't even in the "woke" category ... this is just outright B.S. pandering to societies hard left weird-o's ... folks who are very likely not the type to purchase some of the most expensive coffee beans in town.

What a complete load of garbage.

• LJ, sebberry and lanforod like this

#1064 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 04:56 PM

why would any work place discriminate against someone willing to work there and learn.

it's hard enough to find staff these days, regardless of their ethnicity.

• lanforod likes this

#1065 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:18 PM

Social Justice Warriors don't really have much business sense. If they can't find staff they'll just ask the government to bail them out.

#1066 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:33 PM

Sometimes you just can’t win. On the one hand we try to encourage young people to give it their all and show their employers they’re eager, willing to learn, and wanting to work on/with something they enjoy, especially if their qualifications aren’t refined. Then comes along an employer, who tells you your enthusiasm doesn’t mean anything, and your go-for-it attitude clouds your perception, because of your sexuality. And they call that attitude a “thing.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1067 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 08:03 PM

What the fxxx has sexuality got to do with working for a living?

• Nparker and lanforod like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1068 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 06:14 AM

I politely poInted out the errors in their hiring practices- I was blocked. Good times

#1069 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 06:30 AM

I guess you were one of the people they considered to be taking up space.
  • Belleprincess likes this

Know it all.

#1070 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 09:48 AM

This warm and welcoming community gathering place, that is based on providing purpose, inclusivity, diversity and equality for its staff and guests, is located in the heart of View Royal. Serving up more than just great coffee and delicious and decadant treats, there is an authentic and genuine passion for people. Features an exceptional menu, loyal clientele, and set in busy commercial centre with excellent vehicle and foot traffic. The current owners have successfully provided compassion and connectivity through their hiring practices, eye for detail and superb customer care. Business has grown through covid and continues to set monthly records. This successful business model has attracted extensive media attention and interest in franchising. 

$375,000

Address not available

https://www.realtor....60730/esquimalt

Is it this?

https://www.ilukaespresso.ca/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2022 - 09:49 AM.

#1071 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:44 AM

I don’t think so. My guess would be further afield in View Royal.

Know it all.

#1072 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 10:52 AM

It says in "the heart of View Royal" but the listing is coded as Esquimalt.

#1073 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 11:47 AM

Yes, that’s the real mystery here.

Know it all.

#1074 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 11:48 AM

Yes, that’s the real mystery here.

And the description mentions much social / regular media and I think this place has had that.

CHEK:  https://youtu.be/stM3GTnj_Iw

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2022 - 11:49 AM.

#1075 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 11:49 AM

Aha. You might be right then.

Know it all.

#1076 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 11:52 AM

Hold on.

set in busy commercial centre with excellent vehicle and foot traffic.

#1077 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 11:58 AM

I got it:

https://akindercup.ca/about-2/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2022 - 11:58 AM.

#1078 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 12:18 PM

The place where the fire truck is usually parked in the "No Parking" tow away zone.

#1079 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:56 AM

Welcome to the White Heather Tea Room. This well-known charming eatery features a vast selection of teas & tiered trays of sweet & savoury bites. Open from Thursday to Sunday. Services ranges from afternoon tea, takeaway, private parties and catering. Come make it your Destined Tea Room!

$289,000

1885 Oak Bay Ave

https://www.realtor....y-south-oak-bay

907108_3.jpg

#1080 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 05:19 PM

After her Tuesday shift at a downtown Seattle Starbucks, Katherine Van got a call from her manager.

No need to come back to the store at First Avenue and Pike Street tomorrow, her manager said, as Van recalled the evening call. She had a choice: either transfer to another store — taking a pay cut and facing possibly longer commutes — or leave Starbucks.

Van, 18, was one of nearly two dozen workers at the First and Pike store to receive such a call yesterday. Their workplace — a high-profile Starbucks cafe that Van and others had been working for weeks to unionize — was to be rebranded one of three “Heritage Markets” in the city as part of an initiative announced by the company Tuesday. The store’s new theme? Starbucks’ “present,” as opposed to the other stores’ themes of “past” and “future.”

Few of Van’s colleagues at First and Pike were selected to remain at the store after many reapplied for their positions, she said. They were reassigned and will start at new locations Friday. They will get paid for the days they did not work this week, said Van, who graduated earlier this month from University Prep high school.

https://www.seattlet...Registered User

The National Labor Relations Board is asking a federal court to order Starbucks to stop interfering with unionization efforts at its U.S. stores.

It’s the third time the board has filed a case in federal court against Starbucks since December, when a store in Buffalo, New York, became the coffee chain's first location in decades to unionize. Since then, more than 289 U.S. stores, including, most recently, a store on the Vestal Parkway East in Broome County, have petitioned the NLRB to hold union elections and at least 151 stores have voted to unionize.

Read More: Starbucks Union Fight Back in Court | https://wnbf.com/law...medium=referral

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 05:22 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users