Photo

[Rock Bay] BC Hydro land | unknown | land remediated

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#161 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

The word “Indian” is no longer a word used to describe members of First Nations. I know you know this, so cut it out, please.

Well you better let the Federal government know

#162 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

C) In Victoria we like to play the l-o-n-g game when it comes to waterfront development. So we'll probably just turn this into a parking lot for 70-80 years before we start the planning process

it does seem to be a strange statement.

#163 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

whatever it ends up being is likely better than what is there now. and free of city hall restraints maybe the eventual use will be amazing by recent victoria standards.
  • aastra likes this

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

It's also likely that zoning regulations will also be waved to some degree, and that could pretty much result in anything, of any size down around the Inner Harbour.

That’s why I find this so exciting. With D’Ambrosio at the helm this could end up as something absolutely amazing, and not bound by the constraints of officialdom’s whims.

In fact, if done right, and if it pushes beyond the “norm” I could see the City having to rewrite its own rules if this redevelopment sets a new precedent ...and the world continues to turn the next day.
  • aastra likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

whatever it ends up being is likely better than what is there now. and free of city hall restraints maybe the eventual use will be amazing by recent victoria standards.

That’s exactly what I’m saying! This could be a game changer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#166 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

Well you better let the Federal government know

I don't think the Feds use the word "Indian" in any capacity other than those instances where it's entrenched in a pile of 100+ year old documents.

e.g. "Indian Act"

Any contemporary Fed reference is always "First Nations".

#167 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

To be fair, some indigenous people express a preference for the term “Indian.” The Indigenous-owned website Indian Country Today is perhaps the most comprehensive source for indigenous news on both sides of the US / Canada border, and some indigenous writers like Sherman Alexie use the term in book titles and writings.

But we should be careful lest NParker marks this as an off topic thread ...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 27 May 2019 - 10:12 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

That’s exactly what I’m saying! This could be a game changer.

although based on the current shape of the two nations’ local property I would not bet on it.

a downtown rv park would be an attraction though.

#169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:10 AM

Spirit Bay in Metchosin, Oyster Bay up-Island, and other local developments on native land are redefining the possibilities.

Check out Stelly’s Cross Road and even the new housing going up on the Songhees lands along Craigflower.

Know it all.

#170 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

well spirit bay has only sold 50 homes. but that’s not much of a comparison I guess.

#171 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:21 AM

To be fair, some indigenous people express a preference for the term “Indian.” 

It's their word now, they can use it however they see fit to use it.

Contemporary non-First Nations residents of Canada are no longer invited to use the word, it was removed from the lexicon, as have many other descriptive words used to reference minority groups around the world.

• weirdie likes this

#172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

...But we should be careful list NParker marks this as an off topic thread ...

:rtfm:

#173 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

It's their word now, they can use it however they see fit to use it.

Contemporary non-First Nations residents of Canada are no longer invited to use the word, it was removed from the lexicon, as have many other descriptive words used to reference minority groups around the world.

I'll use whatever word I want thanks

#174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

...Contemporary non-First Nations residents of Canada are no longer invited to use the word, it was removed from the lexicon...

Can it still be used in reference to the people who originate from or currently reside in India?

#175 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

The old "I'll be a racist if I want to be" vibe?

#176 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:32 AM

OK, try that theory down in East Los Angeles or Compton, let me know how it works out for you.

• Kapten Kapsell and Cassidy like this

#177 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:33 AM

The old "I'll be a racist if I want to be" vibe?

he might describe it as inaccurate you using the term racist to describe him.  but he won't object to your right to use that word.

#178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:34 AM

OK, try that theory down in East Los Angeles or Compton, let me know how it works out for you.

you'll likely admit that we use different word strengths in different situations.  

#179 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,343 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

anyway to be more on topic does anyone have a map of what land is now spoken for?

#180 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

Can it still be used in reference to the people who originate from or currently reside in India?

I believe so.

The word "Indian" as used in North America is only a piece of history because Columbus was sailing for India, and thought he'd found it (it was actually North America) with Columbus recording the locals present as "Indians".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users