Mayweather Vs Pacquaio

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

Seems to be the kind of thing the RBCM could make a mint with showing it on the IMAX screen...

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

Seems to be the kind of thing the RBCM could make a mint with showing it on the IMAX screen...

Did you read the article though?  The distributor needs $20 per person.  Almost all bars are losing money, but hoping for increased booze sales.

You gonna go to a movie theatre, watch for $20, with no booze?  Might as well get the gang together at home for $89sd/94hd + tax.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

Did you read the article though?  The distributor needs $20 per person.  Almost all bars are losing money, but hoping for increased booze sales.

You gonna go to a movie theatre, watch for $20, with no booze?  Might as well get the gang together at home for $89sd/94hd + tax.

They've had alcohol events at the RBCM though, so I'm actually thinking that they get an event license and sell booze.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:06 AM

They've had alcohol events at the RBCM though, so I'm actually thinking that they get an event license and sell booze.

Doable, for sure.  But say in the case of Strath.  Their beer supplier is throwing in one beer.  So they get the whole $12 from the ticket.  So they are subsidizing each patron $8.   Now they need you to buy $12-$16 to get that back, to just break even.  Doable in a bar, people will come early, stay after.  At a theatre, people come on time, then leave right after the event.

And does IMAX want booze spilled into their seats?  RBCM usually has stand-up events

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that I was able to take a beer into the theatre during the last event at the RBCM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that I was able to take a beer into the theatre during the last event at the RBCM.

Oh, you can get a license for anywhere.  But taking a small glass of wine to see Hubble on IMAX is different than 12oz. beers while people jump and scream at a boxing match.  That's why only club seats are padded at arenas.    The extra money they get for those seats, they can launder or replace seating pads.  Alcohol stains stink for a long time, not comparable to pop stains at a theatre.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

Oh yeah for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

Strath and Tally Ho are now sold out.

Waddling Dog is first-come-first-served.

Don't know about Shark, 17-Mile or Fox. 

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

What are the odds?

Tony Pep, a Vancouver boxer fought Mayweather in 1995, then became a sparring partner for him for 5 weeks says Mayweather is going to win.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:42 PM

What are the odds?

Tony Pep, a Vancouver boxer fought Mayweather in 1995, then became a sparring partner for him for 5 weeks says Mayweather is going to win.

Mayweather, 8/15 favourite.

Major sports books have Mayweather listed between -200 and -225 for the fight, consistent with the rest of this week, while Pacquiao also holds steady, between a +175 and +200 underdog.

#31 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:30 AM

Currently expected to bring 400 million dollars.  Huge.

http://www.boxing247...0811#more-40811

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

Plus 50 Cent is putting down $1.6M on Mayweather.

http://www.tmz.com/2...pacquiao-fight/

BCLC did Oscar picks online, but they are not doing this fight.  Odd.

#33 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

Most seem to be picking Mayweather. Logistically, I don't see how Pacquiao can contend with the extra 5" of reach that Mayweather has.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

Sold my extra Strath tickets for $35 each today. Demand is strong!

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

Fight frenzy grows in Victoria as tonight’s super-match draws near

It’s being billed as the “fight of the century”, and as the clock counts down towards tonight’s welterweight championship bout between the undefeated Floyd Mayweather, and Manny Pacquiao, Victoria fans seem to agree.

Manager Clarissa Haider at the Strathcona Hotel said, “last night the phone was ringing off the hook with people looking for tickets”.  When the fight was announced weeks ago, she did not hesitate in securing the rights for the Games Room at the Sticky Wicket to show it.  “I knew that we needed to have this, and that we would likely be the only venue with the foresight to order it, downtown”.  The fight does not come cheap, media reportssuggest Canadian bars must pay about $20 per head for the rights to show it.

At press time this morning, Haider said the Strathcona was trying to find a way to increase capacity beyond the 130 tickets that were sold out days ago.

http://www.victoriab...tch-draws-near/

#36 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

Cousins Husband and his buddy flew in to Vegas from the UK this morning for the fight.....I am thinking not nice thoughts about him just now....

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

2 late venues added, The Local and Fleet Club.

#38 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

Cousins Husband and his buddy flew in to Vegas from the UK this morning for the fight.....I am thinking not nice thoughts about him just now....

I hope the fight lasts longer than the Clay/Liston bouts.

#39 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Back in the day only the heavyweight fights were hyped like this with the big money and TV rights and all that, you barely heard about welterweights etc. unless you were a fan following it.

Now off the top of your head can you name the present heavyweight champ. I couldn't.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

I'd wager 90% of people watching today's fight did not know of Mayweather or Pac before the fight was announced.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users