Photo

Kraft Hockeyville & Rogers Hometown Hockey

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

There are towns in Canada that don't like hockey?...

Assuming the average temperature there isn't 1° C (or less), I’d happily move to Unhockeyville, Canada.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

A Panorama official says the game might get moved to Save On or Q Centre. He says Panorama only has 400 seats.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

If Panorama gets it, it'll be the smallest venue in the history of Hockeyville to host a game.

I really hope it gets moved.  It seems more fair to the hundreds of people that helped get them there, that they can all actually go to the game.

Whittling down the VIP list to 400 would be hard.  Esp. if that's total capacity, and you have to take come of those spots with camera people, media and team officials.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

If Panorama gets it, it'll be the smallest venue in the history of Hockeyville to host a game.

I really hope it gets moved.  It seems more fair to the hundreds of people that helped get them there, that they can all actually go to the game.

Whittling down the VIP list to 400 would be hard.  Esp. if that's total capacity, and you have to take come of those spots with camera people, media and team officials.

I think the arena that won the contest should do it. If you really want to move it just to make more money put it in Rogers Arena.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

I think the arena that won the contest should do it. If you really want to move it just to make more money put it in Rogers Arena.

Our view here at I (heart) Downtown Victoria : It would be best if everyone that helped secure the game - with over 1 million votes - could actually go see it if they want to. So many, many more than 400 people worked so hard in the voting rounds, but Panorama only fits 400 people. We understand the need to celebrate on the Peninsula, but thousands of kids have gone through the Peninsula junior hockey system over the years. We think letting them see the game would be desirable. If Panorama hosts the game it'll be the smallest seating-capacity venue to ever host the Kraft Hockeyville game. We feel Greater Victoria can be better than that.

https://www.facebook...962613870424952

#26 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:53 PM

I also think a ton of people voted (numerous times) that don't give a hoot about hockey (me!) but wanted the rec centre to get the funds that come with this honour... so while yes, definitely more than 400 people should be able to see the game, I don't know how MANY more.

• Nparker likes this

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

If you really want to move it just to make more money put it in Rogers Arena.

The hockeyville thing is supposed to be for small towns or at least small cities, no? Methinks a municipal recreation centre in a suburb of a larger city really shouldn't even be eligible in the first place. So now the suburb of a larger city gets the game, and of course the municipal rink isn't going to have sufficient seating capacity because neighbourhood rinks rarely do have a lot of seats, so the game may be moved downtown where there are thousands of seats... but they still only want to have a few hundred people in attendance? None of it seems to jibe with the basic premise of the hockeyville thing.

• Bingo likes this

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

We feel Greater Victoria can be better than that.

This is what I mean. Greater Victoria is like the gorilla bashing its way into a contest that was meant for small towns. Would it make sense for a place like Port Moody to enter this contest? And then if they win would it make sense to say "Greater Vancouver can be better" and move the game to downtown Vancouver?

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

This is what I mean. Greater Victoria is like the gorilla bashing its way into a contest that was meant for small towns. Would it make sense for a place like Port Moody to enter this contest? And then if they win would it make sense to say "Greater Vancouver can be better" and move the game to downtown Vancouver?

Conception Bay, NFLD won and promptly moved the game to Mile Zero in St. Johns, capacity 7,300.

It's been done twice before.  Salon River, Nova Scotia also moved it to Truro.  

2 of the 7 times it's been held, it's been moved.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

I also think a ton of people voted (numerous times) that don't give a hoot about hockey (me!) but wanted the rec centre to get the funds that come with this honour... so while yes, definitely more than 400 people should be able to see the game, I don't know how MANY more.

Canucks Blue/White (intrasquad) in 2007 sold out in 15 minutes, all 7,300 seats.

Canucks / San Jose will sell just as fast, even at $30.

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:05 PM

Yeah, but VHF, my point is not about the relocation of the game but rather the relocation because the winning arena is actually just a municipal rink in a suburb of a larger city. If a small town wins the contest and there's so much celebratory enthusiasm that they want to move the game to a larger venue in a different small town (or even in a nearby-but-still-small city), I wouldn't have a problem with it. In my estimation such a relocation wouldn't blow holes in the entire concept of hockeyville. But if Port Moody wins and moves the game downtown or if North Saanich wins and moves the game downtown... that's obviously quite a bit different.

Summary: If North Saanich chose to pose as a small town then the "Greater Victoria" aspect should be irrelevant. Of course Greater Victoria can do better. Greater Victoria is a city of hundreds of thousands. Greater Victoria (or Greater Vancouver, or Greater Winnipeg, etc.) is not the sort of place that should be entering the hockeyville contest to begin with.

• Bingo likes this

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

Summary: If North Saanich chose to pose as a small town then the "Greater Victoria" aspect should be irrelevant. Of course Greater Victoria can do better. Greater Victoria is a city of hundreds of thousands. Greater Victoria (or Greater Vancouver, or Greater Winnipeg, etc.) is not the sort of place that should be entering the hockeyville contest to begin with.

For once, lack of amalgamation worked for us!  Nobody suspected North Saanich was Greater Victoria!

1.1M votes later, "ha ha suckers!"

Look, NS posed as small town BC while soliciting the vote of the 330,000 population.

Fits the rules.

But now, while we have the opportunity, let's get 7,000 into the big barn.  We can raise an extra $200k for Panorama on ticket sales.  7k fans x $30 = $210k, less operations costs.

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:34 PM

Fair enough, but it just smells like shenanigans.

For once, lack of amalgamation worked for us!

Yes, this is what I'm saying. Pose as a small town to win a contest but then admit it was all sleight of hand after they hand you the trophy.

• Nparker likes this

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:46 PM

For once, lack of amalgamation worked for us! ...

:squint:

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

Fair enough, but it just smells like shenanigans.

It's been moved twice, simply for cash/logistical reasons.  

Conception Bay > St. John's, 30km, an extra 7,000 seats

Salmon River > Truro, 2km, an extra 2,500 seats.

2/7 times it's been moved.

If we play it in Panorama, it'll be the lowest crowd EVER to watch the game.  Makes us look like the ultimate backwoods.

Cool if we, on national TV, want to look like Sylvan Lake, Terrace or Salmon River.  I think we can be better than that.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

Chatham is spitting distance from both London and Windsor. I don't believe for one second that Chatham never tried to solicit votes from either of those two centres.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

Makes us look like the ultimate backwoods.

Us who? North Saanich? A hockey game at a rec centre in North Saanich would make North Saanich look like North Saanich, wouldn't it?

The only way this thing makes any sense is if North Saanich <> Victoria. They're just shifting the party over to better digs in Victoria because they want to make a big splash. But then aren't "we" misrepresenting North Saanich even when we do that? After all, everybody knows North Saanich is a little town in the backwoods (like every other hockeyville town), so depressed that it needs to enter a contest to scrounge up a bit of money to do some basic improvements to the town's heart and soul, the local hockey arena.

If we play it in Panorama, it'll be the lowest crowd EVER to watch the game.

Right, so the biggest city by far to ever win (or even enter) the contest would be hosting the game in the smallest arena by far (the very same arena that supposedly justified entering the contest in the first place). That sounds perfect to me, and I'm not kidding.

• Nparker likes this

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Right, so the biggest city by far to ever win (or even enter) the contest would be hosting the game in the smallest arena by far (the very same arena that supposedly justified entering the contest in the first place). That sounds perfect to me, and I'm not kidding.

Do you think for one minute that only the population of North Saanich was responsible for getting 1M votes and winning this thing?

All the media outlets from the southern municipalities came out to cover the game and the vote.  NS has zero media outlets.

So let's simply let ANYONE that helped with the vote go to the game at Save On.  I can assure you, if only 400 go, thousands that voted will not be able to go the the game.

I've yet to hear one reason, financial or otherwise why you you not want to give the game to 7,000, rather than 400.  Except maybe greed and selfishness.  Tell me one good reason why Panorama should have it, other than Save On, and I'll listen.

A few reasons might be:

We want to make it super exclusive.

We don't want to move it downtown, for no good reason

We are controlling

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

I saw a short segment on this on TSN a few days back. They positioned the vote as pro-Ontario and anti-Ontario.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

For once, lack of amalgamation worked for us!  Nobody suspected North Saanich was Greater Victoria!

1.1M votes later, "ha ha suckers!"

Look, NS posed as small town BC while soliciting the vote of the 330,000 population.

Fits the rules.

But now, while we have the opportunity, let's get 7,000 into the big barn.  We can raise an extra $200k for Panorama on ticket sales.  7k fans x $30 = $210k, less operations costs.

I don't think we can be compared to Nova Scotians, they have more snow than us, but we've already had our flower count and are sitting around in shorts on the beach, eh!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users