• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

http://www.timescolo...-area-1.1821348

While the Leech land might not be needed for decades, controlling access is needed so the forest can regenerate, said Annette Constabel, senior manager of CRD watershed protection. About 95 per cent of the land, which includes more than 400 kilometres of roads, has been logged.

“Coming up, we’re going to be looking at all the water needs and forecasts again,” Constabel said.

About 200 people a year use the Leech area for camping or other activities, but Constabel said there is a long history of the public gaining access. She said the area is closely monitored. “Every time that there’s a granola wrapper that’s left behind, we write it up. We know somebody’s been there.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.4I3YeSaI.dpuf

Does anyone else find this outrageous and somewhat infuriating?
The water supply won't be needed for decades. Public tax dollars were used to purchase this land, so the CRD can restrict the public from accessing it.
Since when does the forest require zero human footprints in order to regenerate? I have seen forests regenerate in my backyard in between weekly attacks with electric hedge trimmers.

This is a bunch of armchair environmentalists who don't even go outdoors for recreation, making up policies to "protect the environment." Vancouver Island is 95% wilderness already - let the people access the land!

• tedward likes this

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

100% agree. What authority are they using to forbid access?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

Just have outrageous fines for littering or contaminating the land, enough to pay for its enforcement.

• sebberry likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

Ditto for what BC Hydro is doing with Jordan River and that whole area.

Some say this sort of thing has its roots in UN Agenda 21.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

That would be an extremely silly thing to think though.  

Edited by Baro, 13 April 2015 - 04:43 PM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

...and the CRD is doing just want the conspiracists maintain will start to happen with more frequency as a part of the Agenda.

Just saying.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

^I think that once you've worked in government, you lose all notions of conspiracy theories possible being real. "Government" including the CRD is just a bunch of normal people, usually UVIC or UBC grads with the usual liberal/environmental slant, sometimes wielding too much power, doing what they think is right. No "top down" influence from the UN is necessary. 

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

True, to a certain degree. But you have to remember that these folk attend conferences, seminars, educational workshops, etc., and the trickle down effect of global policies start to taint the kool-aid after a while. Even at UVic and UBC they'll have been inundated with a lot of rhetoric courtesy of whatever slant their educators had. I know my profs tried and they tried hard.

Know it all.

#9 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

I agree. Part of the problem is these people go straight from the academic world, where "global injustice" is a paramount local concern, straight into government work... which is also a bit of a "la la land." Case in point: Ben Isitt, but it's equally true for public servants, not just the elected. 

• Mike K. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users