385 replies to this topic

#221 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

here's a reminder of what happened last time:

https://www.timescol...sted-1.23518616

so to recap:

police said they would not be closing bridge.

at 6:07pm protestors close bridge for what was to be 12 minutes

at almost 8pm police re-open bridge after arrests.

i have a feeling that this new protest will go a similar way.. the mayor is very pro climate crisis issues, that's well known.. i wouldn't be surprised if she tells police to take a more hands off stance on it and let it play out similar to the last one.. and only step in if it's getting out of control... or if the protesters refuse to leave after a significantly extended amount of time

#222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:57 AM

the bridge block has been moved to rush hour.

Extinction Rebellion Vancouver Island, which has about 25 active members, plans to take over the bridge from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday. Similar protests in Vancouver and Halifax will shut major bridges as part of the #BridgeOut campaign, which seeks to bring more attention to the climate issue.

#223 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:58 AM

police are to release a response plan today.

#224 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,674 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:13 AM

the bridge block has been moved to rush hour....

police are to release a response plan today.

The only plan should be to remove the protestors immediately and arrest any that refuse to leave.

Edited by Nparker, 06 October 2019 - 07:15 AM.

• qwerty, exc911ence, mbjj and 2 others like this

#225 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

If only there were a way to measure the additional emissions that these genuises will cause by backing up traffic. Not really the smartest wayto protest.
  • Nparker likes this

#226 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

The emissions come from the cars, not the protesters.  If you are stuck in traffic because the bridge is blocked you should turn off your engine rather than idle the engine excessively.

Yeah, I know that's not what you want to hear but the old (really old) Any Impediment To My Driving Causes Emissions And It's YOUR Fault argument is pretty tiresome.

I would love for autostop engines to be mandated just to see this chestnut retired.

• tedward likes this

#227 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

do you think they will let me through with my solar powered electric car? I have a bike rack on the back too!

#228 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:08 PM

The emissions come from the cars, not the protesters.  If you are stuck in traffic because the bridge is blocked you should turn off your engine rather than idle the engine excessively.

Yeah, I know that's not what you want to hear but the old (really old) Any Impediment To My Driving Causes Emissions And It's YOUR Fault argument is pretty tiresome.

I would love for autostop engines to be mandated just to see this chestnut retired.

My car wasn't designed to sustain restarts every 3 feet for social engineering.  But who cares since I pay for everything.....things for bikes for others....my car....now I need a new car for protesters.   

Let's see what else you can justify I pay for.

#229 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:19 PM

The emissions come from the cars, not the protesters. If you are stuck in traffic because the bridge is blocked you should turn off your engine rather than idle the engine excessively.

I rarely drive and I hate idling vehicles, and yes I do understand about the emissions coming from the vehicles. I was just assuming that blocking the bridge would inevitably result in increased emissions because some people do love to idle, others will be slowed to a crawl and others may drive further due to being detoured. Also may very well have the effect of angering motorists which may not really do much to help the cause.

Also, not familiar with auto stop but potentially sounds like a good thing.

#230 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:35 PM

I rarely drive and I hate idling vehicles, and yes I do understand about the emissions coming from the vehicles. I was just assuming that blocking the bridge would inevitably result in increased emissions because some people do love to idle, others will be slowed to a crawl and others may drive further due to being detoured. Also may very well have the effect of angering motorists which may not really do much to help the cause.

Also, not familiar with auto stop but potentially sounds like a good thing.

Auto-stop is becoming more common on new engines. I'm not too sure about large engines, but with modern 4 cyclinders, the amount of fuel to start the engine (when it's already warmed up) is about the equvilant of 2 seconds of idling. In my Subaru, if the vehicle is stopped and the brake is depressed, the engine will shut itself off. It will turn back on when the brake is released or if the draw on the battery is too high.

Edited by Mattjvd, 06 October 2019 - 10:44 PM.

#231 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:04 AM

Auto stop only works so many times then it puts a strain on the battery. Mine will stop for 20-30 seconds at a time depending on lights and heat etc and after the 3rd or 4th time in a short period it disables

#232 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:32 AM

oh come on don't bet on that.  let's see how many of these three are allowed.

ok here's the scorecard:

halifax:  police lined up to prevent protestors from going onto the bridge.  which of course meant no cars could use it either.  the blockade continues - now into its 4th hour - but 30 minutes ago police told protestors they had 10 minutes to break up.  UPDATE 12 protestors arrested & bridge to re-open soon.

https://twitter.com/...197234219753472

toronto:  bloor viaduct closed by about 70 protestors.

edmonton:  walterdale bridge blocked by 8 protestors.  dismantled voluntarily after 1.5 hours when more police showed up.  no police were there at start.

vancouver:

victoria:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 October 2019 - 06:51 AM.

#233 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:44 AM

ok here's the scorecard:

halifax:  police lined up to prevent protestors from going onto the bridge.  which of course meant no cars could use it either.  the blockade continues - now into its 4th hour - but 30 minutes ago police told protestors they had 10 minutes to break up.

screenshot-twitter.com-2019.10.07-10_35_06.png

https://twitter.com/...197234219753472

toronto:  bloor viaduct closed

edmonton:  walterdale bridge blocked

vancouver:

victoria:

Not sure if you want to count outside of Canada but in London England 21 were arrested over the weekend on suspicion of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance. https://www.ctvnews....anada-1.4627152

#234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:48 AM

VicPD needs to calculate its response with the understanding that with the Bay Street Bridge's closure, and the closure of Gorge Road between Tillicum and Harriet, this protest is going to create a massive pile of congestion far removed from the Johnson Street Bridge. I'm sure the protestors didn't count on today's action coinciding with Gorge Road's closure (a key detour for the closed Bay Street Bridge's eastbound lane) but since it has there shouldn't be surprises if police are less lenient today.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#235 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,674 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:54 AM

...I'm sure the protestors didn't count on today's action coinciding with Gorge Road's closure...

And even if they were aware, there's little to suggest that it would have made any difference. Upsetting motorists is their entire point. 

#236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

(a key detour for the closed Bay Street Bridge's eastbound lane) but since it has there shouldn't be surprises if police are less lenient today.

i really don't think for a minute that vicpd is going to be "less lenient" today.

#237 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,674 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

i really don't think for a minute that vicpd is going to be "less lenient" today.

There is no reason to be any more lenient than before.

#238 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

UPDATE in toronto police started making arrests at around 12pm 4 hours after the blockade started.

there were no arrests in edmonton and the blockade was about 1.25 hours.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 October 2019 - 09:20 AM.

#239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

At some point a protest can become not only a public nuisance but a danger to the public. Heavily congested thoroughfares in all directions means emergency service vehicles may be obstructed, meaning there is a risk to life in the event of an emergency.

I don't think VicPD will allow this to proceed in the same manner they've overseen peaceful protest actions under different circumstances. I may very well be proven wrong but if the force conducts itself as business-as-usual this will not reflect well on their image, and right now the VicPD is (as we all well know) very image-conscious due to its funding issues.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

protestors have now closed the burrard bridge.

ctv:

https://twitter.com/...268983804125184

About 150 people have set up in the middle of the Burrard Bridge for a climate change protest. Some have said they plan to stay until 5:00 p.m. and others say maybe 11:00 p.m.

update on halifax there were 18 arrests.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 October 2019 - 10:12 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users