Traffic congestion in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

So, Nanaimo should shut down the TCH because the 19 parallels the route?

Vancouver should shut down highways 1A, 7, 91 and Hastings because the TCH also runs east-west?

1A is not a neighbourhood road because its residents want it to be so. It is an integral route, as integral in some ways as the TCH itself for there is no other east-west route if the TCH is closed down. In fact, the 1A is a critical piece of infrastructure.

Sorry, but View Royal’s destiny is to be an intermodal pass-through community. Local politicians may try to change that, but the province won’t let them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

I'd love to see View Royal "traffic calm" the crap out of the1A such that it's almost impassible, and I'd like to see Saanich do the same to Burnside West.

There should be no inbound or outbound Westshore traffic on either street ever.

It's "opinion" vs "opinion" though, contrary to efforts to have it appear as some sort of "roadway law" with perpetually guaranteed through-traffic on the 1A, all rigidly enforced by the Province :)

#163 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

Spock said it best: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.". I wish politicians subscribed to this idea.

• Nparker likes this

#164 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

Why would Westshore residents take the OIH? Access to Westshore is much easier from TCH and once you're past Mackenzie it is unconstrained in any way.

I got stuck on the OIH once by accident and I would never go that way by choice during rush hour.

I'm guessing the only people that do use it are employees of CFB, and they deserve what they got by not riding a ferry that cost a few bucks.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#165 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

Why would Westshore residents take the OIH? Access to Westshore is much easier from TCH and once you're past Mackenzie it is unconstrained in any way.

I got stuck on the OIH once by accident and I would never go that way by choice during rush hour.

I'm guessing the only people that do use it are employees of CFB, and they deserve what they got by not riding a ferry that cost a few bucks.

I imagine going anywhere in Esquimalt/Vic West is probably quicker via OIH than TCH. I dragged around a destination marker on Google Maps and I had to physically cross Douglas before it suggested TCH over OIH. I doubt the time makes that much difference. Going from Juan de Fuca Rec to the Leg is 18 minutes via OIH and 19 via TCH so during rush hour I really doubt that's quicker.

#166 bugeyed

bugeyed
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

I thought the ferry to CFB stopped running a few years ago.  

#167 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

I thought the ferry to CFB stopped running a few years ago.  

It did ... and I believe that was LJ's point ... not enough people took the ferry such that it could remain financially viable.

Kind of a "you reap what you sew" deal ... didn't bother to support the ferry when it was running, so CFB employees are now stuck in the Colwood Crawl for exponentially more time that the ferry ride took getting across the harbour.

Baseline Ferry Service were charging $5.00 for a round trip, which purchases around 3 litres of gas, which is probably a bit more than you burn going both ways in the crawl (depending on what you're driving).

But the ferry still carried up to 600 people each day, so those 600 people are now in 600 cars as willing participants in the Colwood Crawl.

All of the above, taken as a package - tends to indicate that the ferry was a far more environmentally responsible way to get those 600 people across the harbour to work. It also implies that the cancellation of the ferry was somewhat irresponsible, a notion that is compounded that none of the parties involved (DND, the various municipalities, B.C. Transit, etc) followed up in a responsible manner when they choose to just let it die, and to failed to replace it (or even bothered to contemplate replacing it) with anything equivalent.

One could posit that the real culprit in all of this was the DND themselves, when the cancelled their long running "Blue Boat" (which had run for around 55 years), thus opening the door for the private Baseline, who tried but failed to replace the Blue Boat with a financially viable business alternative.

#168 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

No, it shouldn’t. It should be split between Colwood, Highlands, Saanich and Esquimalt. a neighbourhood in an amalgamated Victoria.

Fixed it for you. ;)

• RFS and lanforod like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#169 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:32 AM

As I noted in my earlier post, Highway #1 is the route from the Westshore to the COV downtown core ...

Highway 1 is one route, but by no means the only route.  Highway 1A is, like it or not, a designated highway just like West Saanich Rd. (a.k.a. Highway 17A for almost all of its length) and as such, if it gets too congested the answer is to open it up and make it more efficient, not choke it off.

Burnside Rd. isn't a designated highway, and is thus a different animal.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#170 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:20 AM

The Island Highway and West Saanich Road have been long decommissioned as official highways and there is no signage along these routes. However, in Vancouver, the 7A (Hastings), and 1A/99A (Kingsway) still have their signs despite having also been decommissioned.

#171 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

Highway 1 is one route, but by no means the only route.  Highway 1A is, like it or not, a designated highway just like West Saanich Rd. (a.k.a. Highway 17A for almost all of its length) and as such, if it gets too congested the answer is to open it up and make it more efficient, not choke it off.

The Island Highway and West Saanich Road have been long decommissioned as official highways and there is no signage along these routes. However, in Vancouver, the 7A (Hastings), and 1A/99A (Kingsway) still have their signs despite having also been decommissioned.

The ministry downloaded 1A and 17A (along with Douglas & Blanshard in the City of Victoria) to their respective municipalities years ago. Also Island Hwy was handed to View Royal/Colwood when VMP was built.

The ministry only owns now (afaik):

- Highway 1 & Highway 17 - from Tolmie north

- HIghway 14/VMP

- Roads connecting the two Peninsula ferry terminals - parts of McTavish, West Saanich and Lochside

- Main roads in all 9 FN reserves (the biggest pieces are parts of West Saanich & Admirals)

I don't know about the new West Shore Parkway - Langford built it, but it might be owned by MoTI

• Mike K. and Jackerbie like this

#172 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

When a highway is decommissioned, people tend to build houses along the route, just like it was any other street in their municipality.

You can't then go and "open it up" by building roads into their yards.

But you miss the point ... this isn't about the multiple ways one can drive, walk, or bike from one place to the other (it's pretty clear that there are dozens, if not hundreds of ways to get from point a to point b) - it's about the fact that Highway #1 was purpose-built to get people from the COV to the Westshore (as well as up-island).

People making that trip during a brutal rush-hour should be forced to use it, rather than trying to avoid it by packing up residential streets with vehicle traffic such that residents can't access their homes.

#1A and Burnside are residential streets, regardless of how people may want to re-frame them to be something else.

#173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

The make-up of Highway 1A has hardly changed over the last 30 years. In fact, that corridor remains nearly identical to what it was like in the late 80's when the district incorporated. So people have been building houses along that route for time immemorial, just like they've been building houses along Gorge Road for time immemorial (the other component of Highway 1A).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#174 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:30 AM

Highway 1A was also never decommissioned, or else it still wouldn't be called Highway 1A.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#175 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

Highway 1A was also never decommissioned, or else it still wouldn't be called Highway 1A.

Yes, it was. 1A doesn't exist in the CRD:

https://www2.gov.bc....i_bc_201607.pdf

#176 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

Yes, it was. 1A doesn't exist in the CRD:

https://www2.gov.bc....i_bc_201607.pdf

From MOTI, Highway 1A on Vancouver Island runs "From the junction of Mt. Sicker Road and Route 1 in North Cowichan along Mt. Sicker Road to Chemainus Road and along Chemainus Road via Chemainus to the junction with Route 1 at Ladysmith." via https://www2.gov.bc....bered-routes#1A

• sdwright.vic likes this

#177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:47 AM

Every map still refers to the route as the 1A, even Google Maps does.

Know it all.

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

Apple Maps even uses the provincial crest when identifying the 1A.

Know it all.

#179 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

Every map still refers to the route as the 1A, even Google Maps does.

Google has out of date information - I just pulled up the latest GIS data from the Ministry and it clearly labels those pieces it owns (Highway 17, Admirals) and those it doesn't.

• Mike K. likes this

#180 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:56 AM

Highway 1A and Burnside would also be deemed as feeder corridors
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users