The "Langford Station" problem

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

ATTENTION all 556 Facebook users, and 130+ businesses that list their home as Langford Station, British Columbia - that's not a place you can live. It is not a city, town, municipality, village, place or even a neighbourhood. Someone just made it up. And you went along with it like a sheep.

See, some twerp decided that "Langford Station" was a place.  And Facebook accepted it, and now it's the only option for people and businesses in Langford.

Do a graph search.   "Places in Langford, British Columbia" only yields 4 results, as they have Langford in their name.  "Places in Langford Station, British Columbia" gets at least 130 hits.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Maybe the people of Langford were yearning for a better name for their city. Langford is just about the worst name I can imagine for a place. They should really consider re-naming the city if they amalgamate. 

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

Yeah, it's pretty unremarkable. Westshore would be a cool name, though. Even Goldstream would be kinda cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

Maybe the people of Langford were yearning for a better name for their city. Langford is just about the worst name I can imagine for a place. They should really consider re-naming the city if they amalgamate. 

Why wait for amalgamation?  And I agree, it's a horrible name and I bet most Langfordians do not even know the basis for the name.

I've said here before, that Goldstream ought to be the name.

• SamCB likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

How soon will tourists be able to look up hotels and restaurants in Langford Station, Capital Regional District over at TripAdvisor.com?

Seriously, what the heck is this issue in Victoria re: place names? It's getting into nutbar territory now.

• http likes this

#6 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, it's pretty unremarkable. Westshore would be a cool name, though. Even Goldstream would be kinda cool.

The western suburbs of Montreal took on the West Island tag and the area very quickly became known as the Waste Island. Just as accurate.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

^well, I guess that's better than Gangford?

• johnk likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

My sister's Waste Island suburb was Dollard. Even the residents called it Dullard.

#9 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

See, some twerp decided that "Langford Station" was a place.  And Facebook accepted it, and now it's the only option for people and businesses in Langford.

Do a graph search.   "Places in Langford, British Columbia" only yields 4 results, as they have Langford in their name.  "Places in Langford Station, British Columbia" gets at least 130 hits.

Facebook probably has an import of the gazette, which still lists all the old railway stops as places.

#10 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

Just googled Langford and read through the wikipedia page. Um???

Attractions?

Demographics? (Gangster?)

http://en.wikipedia....ritish_Columbia

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Wow:

A park was built in remembrance of 2004 Jacob Kerr stabbing. It is located on the southeast corner of the city's main traffic intersection: Veterans Memorial Parkway and Goldstream Avenue. Although the pace of development and some planning decisions (particularly "big-box" retail developments) have attracted criticism, the community continues to grow rapidly. It is the largest municipality in the Western Communities, and third-largest in the Capital Regional District after Saanich and Victoria. It serves as the commercial hub for waste disposal. Activities in Langford include shopping at the 335,000-square-foot (31,100 m2) Westshore Town Centre shopping mall (formerly Canwest Mall) with its 55 stores and services including major department, grocery, and retail chain stores as well as a seven-screen movie theatre.[4][5] Community events include heavy metal concerts, Bellmont parties, and electronic dance music raves, which takes place in mid-September at city hall. Visitors can also participate in go-karting and mini-golfing, and watch stock-car racing, at Western Speedway. Langford is also home to a unit of CBC ,the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets Corps, RCSCC Beacon Hill. There are many lakes in the area, including Langford, Glen and Florence Lakes, and the CRD regional park, Mill Hill Park.

• sebberry, Matt R. and johnk like this

Know it all.

#12 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

Bellmont parties? What are they and why have we never been invited?

• Nparker likes this

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

That settles it. I'm never trusting Facebook or Wikipedia again.

• sebberry likes this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

Bellmont parties? What are they and why have we never been invited?

The invites only go out to ravers at city hall.

Know it all.

#15 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

Everything between View Royal and Metchosin is "Colwood" to me. But then I have never lived out there. ;)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

Goldstream would be a very pleasant name for an amalgamated West Comms city.

I'm quite certain gangsters would want to have their clubhouse in a place with an angelic name like Goldstream.

• sebberry likes this

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

Just like Charming, CA.

#18 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

haha...

Hopefully the Goldstream PD is a bit less corrupt...

#19 Chef-eth

Chef-eth
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe High West

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

My favourite radio station is located in a real place named Paradise, CA...

There are some interesting names around the globe. A few unique ones in BC for certain.

Is there not some method of redress with respect to the Langford issue? (I don't do Facebook or Twitter so I don't have a clue) Perhaps contact with a site moderator or some such person?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users