#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

"...you're gonna get yourself sued again Dr. Ball."

Classic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

^Meh, when you're debating a dinosaur like Ball and a provocative host like Jessop there's bound (supposed) to be fireworks. I didn't hear anything in that clip that approached heated discussion.

#63 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

She got upset and started raising her voice in a recent CFAX interview. And then she comes out with this latest performance. So yeah, I think there's something here that needs to be addressed

I think she acted pretty reasonably on that program. To imply she has a problem because she raised her voice is crazy.

What about question period every single day? She is the most well behaved person in the house of commons. The men bellow and swear over each other. This is getting blown so out of proportion - both the CFAX debate and her recent 'speech'.

• Nparker, tedward and thundergun like this

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

I think she acted pretty reasonably on that program. To imply she has a problem because she raised her voice is crazy.

What about question period every single day? She is the most well behaved person in the house of commons. The men bellow and swear over each other. This is getting blown so out of proportion - both the CFAX debate and her recent 'speech'.

She's well behaved because she doesn't have opportunities to misbehave. It's not like she's front and centre in most debates. But it's in instances like the CFAX interview that she shows her true colours. Suddenly she's no different from the cabinet she so very much despises if she can't keep herself in check and starts getting emotional when she doesn't get her way.

Even her excuses for her "speech" are lame. Sick? Tired? When a politician has no way out, they blame something or somebody. How about she be a stand-up individual and just admit she drank too much and her emotions got the better of her? This woe is me stuff isn't cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

Andrew Weaver is a good example of how the leader of a party the size of the Greens should conduct themselves.

• AndrewReeve likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#66 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Yikes. Really getting into misogynist anger here. 

"...if she can't keep herself in check and starts getting emotional..."

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

There are plenty of woman leaders who are stronger emotionally and more capable as politicians than a whole slew of their male counterparts. If May can't keep herself together as a leader of a party then maybe she's not cut out to be one. I despise what I see as a double standard regarding females in power. You can champion them all day long but the second someone starts to criticize them all of a sudden it turns into some exist affront? Give me a break.

Know it all.

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

And there's this: http://news.national...uce-carson-says

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

Haha, what I would pay to see Harper lose his cool.

Actually there was a fantastic play the Belfry last year about Harper which depicted him in a variety of emotional states. Awesome, awesome stuff.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#70 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:54 PM

There are plenty of woman leaders who are stronger emotionally and more capable as politicians than a whole slew of their male counterparts. If May can't keep herself together as a leader of a party then maybe she's not cut out to be one. I despise what I see as a double standard regarding females in power. You can champion them all day long but the second someone starts to criticize them all of a sudden it turns into some exist affront? Give me a break.

I actually find that you are holding her to a higher standard that her male counterparts. The double standard is on you in my opinion. Rarely is a male politician's emotional fortitude called into question after a gaffe.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

On what do you base that observation?

Know it all.

#72 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

On what do you base that observation?

This:

She's well behaved because she doesn't have opportunities to misbehave. It's not like she's front and centre in most debates. But it's in instances like the CFAX interview that she shows her true colours. Suddenly she's no different from the cabinet she so very much despises if she can't keep herself in check and starts getting emotional when she doesn't get her way.

Even her excuses for her "speech" are lame. Sick? Tired? When a politician has no way out, they blame something or somebody. How about she be a stand-up individual and just admit she drank too much and her emotions got the better of her? This woe is me stuff isn't cool.

Completely blowing a fairly normal radio debate out of proportion and calling into question her ability to master her emotions and 'keep herself in check'. It's bizarre.

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

I was expecting you to show how I give a male politician a pass for acting inappropriately and therefore hold May to a higher standard, not just paste my feelings regarding a leader of a political party from this thread.

Anyways, I'll clear this up once and for all. I hold May to the same standard as I hold every other politician, man or woman. All throughout this forum I make my views well known. Heck, check out my signature, even there I shed light on the lame hypocrisy of our elected officials.

If you feel my comments are mysoginist, that's your opinion and I'll uphold your right to voice it despite disagreeing with you in every way.

Know it all.

#74 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

She got upset and started raising her voice in a recent CFAX interview. And then she comes out with this latest performance. So yeah, I think there's something here that needs to be addressed.

Where did she get upset and raise her voice in the CFAX debate?  Certainly not at 40:50? She was having a debate.  Debaters talk over each other all the time.   She didn't sound like she was flipping out or "clearly has issues" to me.  

• Rob Randall, Nparker and Jill like this

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:36 AM

She starts going on about a lawsuit against her debate partner, and she engages in that cardinal sin she prides herself on not engaging in (talking over someone during a debate). She can say all she wants about how she's respectful to her debate partners, but that wasn't the case at the end of that interview.

But then if you hear something different that's cool, too.

Know it all.

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

Elizabeth May's press gallery dinner speech will haunt her, experts say

Elizabeth May's high-profile gaffe at the annual press gallery dinner in Ottawa on Saturday is bound to become a part of her political legacy, analysts say.

Two days after the Green Party leader's awkward, rambling and profanity-laden speech delivered to a stunned crowd made up of the Parliamentary press corps and the nation's political elite, May has publicly apologized.

"It will always be part of her personal brand going forward," said John Crean, national managing partner at National Public Relations, after the story garnered national attention.

"I was sitting 10 feet away from her and I was a bit stunned. I don't think I've ever seen a performance like that one," said Robin Sears, a principal at Earnscliffe Strategy Group and a former NDP strategist.

May ranted for almost 10 minutes before she was ushered off stage by Transport Minister Lisa Raitt.

"This isn't an isolated event," said Ian Capstick, managing partner of MediaStyle and a regular contributor on CBC's Power & Politics with Evan Solomon. "She's weird and she's quirky and this reinforces that brand and will not serve the Green Party well."

May acknowledged that her speech — the highlights of which included playing a recording of Welcome Back, Kotter and saying Omar Khadr, who was convicted in the United States of war crimes in Afghanistan, had "more class than the whole f***ing cabinet" — was a "disaster." She offered to answer reporters' questions and also apologized during a daylong string of interviews on Monday.

A mea culpa and apology is probably where she should have stopped, analysts say. Instead, May used the two-pronged excuse that her 10-minute rant was the result of sleep deprivation and a failed attempt at comedy.

Read more at http://www.cbc.ca/ne...s-say-1.3070377

Here's the kicker from further on in that article:

Asked if Saturday's performance will hurt her politically, May said she didn't think so.

"Anyone can have a bad night and anyone can have a bad attempt at comedy," she said.

Know it all.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:43 AM

Holy moly, so this morning I heard from my neighbour that the Green Party has been canvassing my neighbourhood and talking to residents about May's speech. If this is election-related canvassing, the timing is sure peculiar. One of my neighbours said that the canvassers were offering up apologies for May's antics, saying, and I quote what was said to me "...she was tired, and she had a lot of meetings."

Know it all.

#78 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

She starts going on about a lawsuit against her debate partner, and she engages in that cardinal sin she prides herself on not engaging in (talking over someone during a debate). She can say all she wants about how she's respectful to her debate partners, but that wasn't the case at the end of that interview.

But then if you hear something different that's cool, too.

I don't follow Elizabeth May closely enough to know if talking over someone during a debate is something she considers a "cardinal sin", though I'll point out that decorum in Parliament is different than decorum during a radio debate.  However, I don't see any evidence from that interview that she "clearly has issues". One crappy speech (for which she has apologized), and you are making it sound like she is Rob Ford and in desperate need of rehab.  

#79 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

May has always seemed odd. I never took her seriously, and will take her even less seriously from now on.

Maybe she was drunk, but it wouldn't surprise me if she was just a ranting oddball.

Did she really think people were going to get the "Welcome Back Kotter" reference? I had to Google what the hell she was referring to. Turns out it was a show that went off the air in the 70's. The 70's! I thought the Greens were supposed to be the young, hip, cool kids...

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

In recent days we've seen an acknowledgement from people who know her or interact with her that May is an awkward and odd character. So maybe she doesn't have issues, as I earlier postulated, maybe she's actually just ...weird.

• jklymak likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users