Photo

Should marijuana be legalized in Canada?

Marijuana Cannabis medical marijuana legalize

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Should marijuana be legalized in Canada? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Should marijuana be legalized in Canada?

1. Yes (18 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. Depends (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote

#1 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

I'm just curious what the general feeling is here on this. Note votes on this are set to private. 

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

As long as it is strongly regulated, heavily taxed (equivalent to tobacco and alcohol) and all local bylaws regarding smoking it in public are at least identical to tobacco, why not legalize it?

• dasmo likes this

#3 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

Funny, this seems like such a no-brainer to me I was actually suprised you would feel the need to hide the votes.

There is simply no coherant, science-based reason to treat marijuana any differently than alcohol.

• Baro and dasmo like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

As long as it is strongly regulated, heavily taxed (equivalent to tobacco and alcohol) and all local bylaws regarding smoking it in public are at least identical to tobacco, why not legalize it?

So why'd you vote yes, and not depends?

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

Because I am reasonably certain my criteria (or something similar) would be a part of any legitimate argument in favour of legalization.

Edited by Nparker, 14 May 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

I thought this was a private vote.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

It is ;)

#8 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

It is but it doesn't mean you can't guess. Like your one NO vote.... :banana:

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

It is but it doesn't mean you can't guess. Like your one NO vote.... :banana:

Wasn't mine, I'm all in favour of legalizing it.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Legalize it, regulate it, tax it. 

• Nparker and tedward like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

Legalize it and tax the hell out of it like booze and cigs. Regulate it so consumers actually know what the hell it is they are smoking (i.e. this type has 2% THC). Make it a legitimate and legal enterprise. Take marijuana supply chain management out of the hands of bad people. 

The regs should be the same as booze i.e. can't toke and drive, can't smoke a J walking down Douglas St., must be 19+, etc.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

Legalizing it will also enable it to be studied so appropriate dosages could be determined for medicinal use.  I know that was one of Mike's issues with the current medicinal system. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

People have been studying the proper dosage for decades already ;-)

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

Indeed, but scientific and clinical trials are few and far between due to our laws. 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

And nobody has a clue what dosage is in their cookie or their joint.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

I think if they make them on their own then they do.  But store bought pot cookies might as well be mystery meat. 

As for dosing in general, doctors will routinely adjust the dosage of commercially produced medications to achieve the desired result.  In many cases, too much or too little of the medication can have wildly differing results, and sudden, significant changes of dosages can sometimes be deadly. 

Perhaps marijuana isn't like that and users are safe adjusting their dose by themselves.  Perhaps if you're dealing with fluctuating pain or discomfort, a self regulated dosage scheme is appropriate, but when it comes to controlling seizure disorders more specific control over dosage and THC/CBD content will need to be maintained. 

#17 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

The difference is a lot of prescription medications are dangerous. Even over the counter stuff can be. To much IBP and you will damage yourself. Cannabis isn't that dangerous. Instructions are simple. Try a little and see what happens. the real benefit to me is simply controlled dosage and researching more precise benefits from more precise extraction etc especially with CBD and THC combinations and percentages. CBD is supposed to work better in conjunction with THC but the THC makes you high so getting the exact amounts so you get the least high might benefit some...

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

The difference is a lot of prescription medications are dangerous. Even over the counter stuff can be. To much IBP and you will damage yourself. Cannabis isn't that dangerous. Instructions are simple. Try a little and see what happens. the real benefit to me is simply controlled dosage and researching more precise benefits from more precise extraction etc especially with CBD and THC combinations and percentages. CBD is supposed to work better in conjunction with THC but the THC makes you high so getting the exact amounts so you get the least high might benefit some...

The problem with trying a little and see what happens is that the effect is not so immediate, so you try a little more and then a little more........all of a sudden there is a big effect.

#19 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

The problem with trying a little and see what happens is that the effect is not so immediate, so you try a little more and then a little more........all of a sudden there is a big effect.

True, but in the case of say a CBD brownie you simple get super tired instead of really tired. In the case of sleeping pills you could actually kill yourself!

#20 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Indeed, but scientific and clinical trials are few and far between due to our laws.

A big reason was the "reefer madness" hysteria put about by the US govt for decades. Scientists/medical researchers could not get a dime in research funding. And everyone knew the govt would not lie, would it?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users