Chimney Rebuilding

trades chimney

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

Feel the urge to vent on chimney rebuilding.  I notice we aren't the only ones being subjected to high pressure sales--"We happened to be driving by when we noticed your chimney....You really need to replace it because it could pose a hazard. Here is a glossy brochure and a free pen."  I have respect for trades and their hard work and experience, but, for crying out loud, $5,500 to rebuild a chimney--only the 7 levels of ordinary red bricks exposed on the roof with a plain design.  Apparently, it's a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 day job, including one day to erect the scaffolding. 

Meanwhile, our gutter cleaner climbs up on the roof, cleans, patches, washes the skylights, removes moss, trims away branches, etc., often spending several hours and charges us less than $100.  Sure he's not a mason, but . . . you get my drift.  I could add a second bathroom in our house for $5,500.  That's paying the plumber, electrician, carpenter, the cost of new sink and toilet, flooring, drywall, etc.  Looks like we are going to be living with one bathroom for a long time, but, we're assured that we'll sleep better knowing that our chimney is new.  Thanks for listening.   

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

^ Sounds like you have no plans to fall for that scheme, and rightly so. Stay away from door knockers. ALL OF THEM.

• Jill likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

How can someone ascertain the condition of your chimney just by looking at it from the street?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

^ They can't.

#5 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

Feel the urge to vent on chimney rebuilding.  I notice we aren't the only ones being subjected to high pressure sales--"We happened to be driving by when we noticed your chimney....You really need to replace it because it could pose a hazard. Here is a glossy brochure and a free pen."  I have respect for trades and their hard work and experience, but, for crying out loud, $5,500 to rebuild a chimney--only the 7 levels of ordinary red bricks exposed on the roof with a plain design.  Apparently, it's a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 day job, including one day to erect the scaffolding. 

Meanwhile, our gutter cleaner climbs up on the roof, cleans, patches, washes the skylights, removes moss, trims away branches, etc., often spending several hours and charges us less than $100.  Sure he's not a mason, but . . . you get my drift.  I could add a second bathroom in our house for $5,500.  That's paying the plumber, electrician, carpenter, the cost of new sink and toilet, flooring, drywall, etc.  Looks like we are going to be living with one bathroom for a long time, but, we're assured that we'll sleep better knowing that our chimney is new.  Thanks for listening.   

I want the name of your gutter cleaner.

• jonny and Daveyboy like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

How can someone ascertain the condition of your chimney just by looking at it from the street?

Two of our quotes were given by viewing from the ground, two others by getting up on the roof.  One company (the most expensive one) crawled around inside the attic and also checked out the condition of the chimney in the basement.  Good work but their estimate was double our lowest. 

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Is your chimney used for an oil furnace, air tight wood stove or open fireplace?

#8 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

Is your chimney used for an oil furnace, air tight wood stove or open fireplace?

Currently, has an open fireplace which we've only used once in 5 years.  Thinking of a gas insert in the future but cost of running gas line to the chimney is pricey.  Getting gas to the house is next to nothing.  Fortis is dying to get our business. 

ps is there a way to get notifications when someone replies to a post.  Thx.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

^ There is a little down arrow beside your name at the top right hand corner. You can mess with all sorts of stuff there including having an email sent in the "content I follow" area.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

Chimneys are only used these days by squirrels, to gain access to your nuts.

• Nparker and akimbo like this

#11 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Currently, has an open fireplace which we've only used once in 5 years.  Thinking of a gas insert in the future but cost of running gas line to the chimney is pricey.

I would think about removing the chimney.

• akimbo likes this

#12 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

Oh yes, I have thought about that, if only to give me the extra space in my kitchen and living room, but that is going to cost a heck of lot more than repairing the chimney--carpentry and drywall to fill the empty space in  roof and wall structure, roof repair.. . . 

#13 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

Happy ending.   Found an experienced person who used to work for one of the big companies, but who is striking out on his own.  Did a marvelous job for less than 1/2 the price.

• Mike K. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users