Photo

Skiing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:41 AM

As a newcomer to Victoria, I'm wondering if you guys can give me your opinions on Whistler versus Mt. Washington. We want to go away for a ski weekend, and Whistler seems like the obvious choice: Internationally known, good hill, fun village, etc. But it seems to be awfully expensive. Is Mount Washington a good alternative, or should we really experience Whistler at least once?

I'm leaning toward the latter option... what do you think? And if you agree -- do you know somewhere half decent to stay that won't break the bank?

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

Mt Washington is an amazing ski hill!!! It's a great place to go. The last time I went we went for a few days, rented a cabin and skied most of the time. At night we had the hot tub which is always fun :wink: And at the back of the Cabin we went intertubing down some crazy hills which were right behind the cabin!!! We brought our own tubes. I love Mt Washington. My opinion try Washington first...then next time go to Whistler!!! :-D

#3 simon

simon
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:25 AM

You should try both.
And, if you don´t mind the extra drive, there is also Mt Cain for a unique north island ski experience.

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

Go for Mt Washington first.
Whistler is bigger, but Mt Washington is big enough to enjoy as well. Plus Whistler is such a hassle to get to. If you plan on actually skiiing the same day you arrive from Victoria you can forget it. By the time you drive up to Nanaimo, take the ferry, drive the Sea-to-Sky, you;re pushing after 2pm. Keeping in mind that mountain closes at around three, it's pointless to drop a whole day's fare just for one hour. So now you're looking at at least one night's accomodation, and Whistler is expensive. Even if you're planning a whole weekend in Whistler, the timing is still so tight, it makes the entire trip al most pointless. You need to set aside at least four days IMO if you're going to visit Whistler. Definately worth the visit, but go for Mt Washington first. You can do that in a long day.
Check out the tubing if you're there at night, lots and lots of fun!

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

On a day like today there's no need to leave the city :lol:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions -- are there cool places to hang out at Mount Washington? I've heard the Whistler village is quite happening, so just want to make sure there is some nightlife up at Washington, too.

Thanks!

#7 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

Go to Whistler first, spend the money and enjoy. When you realize you can't afford to go there more than once a year, get a season's pass at Mt. Washington and settle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users