BUILT
Tapestry at Victoria Harbour
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 701 Belleville Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Tapestry at Victoria Harbour is a 15-storey mixed-use seniors rental and condominium residence with ground flo... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tapestry at Victoria Harbour on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Tapestry / 701 Belleville Street | Seniors condos and rentals; commercial | 15- & 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:25 AM

...Some soaring glass would have been appropriate for this site...

Instead we are likely to get a boxy, brick-clad, "inoffensive", structure that represents no particular place or time. In other words, entirely representative of much of our region's architecture of the early 21st century. Thanks James Bay NIMBYs and Victoria City Council. I hope future generations demonize you for your short-sightedness and total lack of vision.

• rchauhan and 2F2R like this

#62 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:31 AM

Some equipment on site yesterday - not sure if it was related to site prep/info or demolition.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

I've been pondering those initial images and I'm wondering if they make the project look blander than it actually is. The materials and the colours could make a huge difference even if the overall design remains exactly the same.

#64 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

March 18th, 2016 plans with the rezoning and development permit applications at the City's Development Tracker.

Layout and number of floors still the same, total number of units was 175, now 173, still senior housing.

One level of underground parking.

Wasn't following this too closely before, so here's the unit breakdown;

Condo Units

- 6 one bedroom + den, 815 sf (minimums)

- 24 two bedroom, 957 sf

- 12 two bedroom + den, 1057 sf

Rental Units

- 14 studio, 403 sf

- 20 junior one bedroom, 533 sf

- 65 one bedroom, 634 sf

- 11 one bedroom + den, 733 sf

- 24 two bedroom, 843 sf

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

Any updates on the aesthetics of this or is still butt-ugly?

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

There are some images in the PDF. It seems to be pretty good for a seniors' residence, but I think I would have preferred some balconies on the lowrise portion because otherwise it seems to look too institutional, and I'm not crazy about that blank wall on the corner but maybe it will work. The tower is still too much of a slab and really could have used some differentiation of the top couple of floors.

#67 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:06 PM

Sure looks a lot better than that motel.

• RFS likes this

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

Sure looks a lot better than that motel.

Ahh yes. The Victoria motto: "Mediocribus esse contendunt"

• Hotel Mike likes this

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

701-Belleville-Street-Citified-1200px.jpg

Concert Properties reveals plans for 15-storey Belleville Street seniors residence

http://victoria.citi...iors-residence/

Concert Properties has unveiled plans for a $75-million, 15-storey mixed-use seniors residence with ground floor commercial space at 701 Belleville Street.

The Vancouver-based developer is seeking a rezoning of the former Crystal Court Motel property to build a mix of condos and rental apartments totalling 173 units. The ground floor component is envisioned to house a 3,500 square foot restaurant situated on the site’s northwest corner at Belleville and Douglas streets.

Dean Johnson, Concert Properties’ development manager, says the overall theme for the project emerged through consultation with the James Bay Neighbourhood Association and community stakeholders. [Full article]

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:28 AM

Without a doubt this is sure the ugliest proposal for this site. To think what might have been here - sigh.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#71 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

That cyclist is not wearing a helmet. Bring out the lynch mob.

But seriously, good luck with JBNA.

#72 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

...But seriously, good luck with JBNA.

How do you think this blocky, bland design came to be?

...the project emerged through consultation with the James Bay Neighbourhood Association and community stakeholders

It's already a victim of the JBNA.  :mad:

#73 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:52 AM

But seriously, good luck with JBNA. 

I hope this was supposed to be ironic? This project is practically their baby.

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

We went over this at length a year ago in this very thread. It went over the heads of some forumers then and I suspect it will still be going over the heads of some forumers today.

"But aastra, everybody knows that the JBNA has been 100% consistent with its concerns and criticisms about new developments."

Uh, yeah, no. Not at all. Not in the slightest.

#75 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

Without a doubt this is sure the ugliest proposal for this site. To think what might have been here - sigh.

I think earlier more modern proposals were nicer but I would hardly use the word ugly, more ... typical ... sure beats whats there now.

• RFS likes this

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

I think earlier more modern proposals were nicer but I would hardly use the word ugly, more ... typical ... sure beats what's there now.

Victoria's future historians are going to shake their heads at our "anything is better than nothing" attitude towards architecture of this era.

#77 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

Victoria's future historians are going to shake their heads at our "anything is better than nothing" attitude towards architecture of this era.

First they can shake their heads at all the original proposals turned down and then understand the frustration that leads to the opinion "anything is better than nothing"

#78 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

Any updates on the aesthetics of this or is still butt-ugly?

I would hardly call it "butt-ugly" but I'm sure I don't have the arm chair architectual qualifications to to make the call as accurately as many of the fine V.V. posters. Personally, I like it ... I like it a lot.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

The good news is, if we ever hear officialdom complain about the design, we can politely remind them of what they turned down several years ago. Together with a downtown satellite art gallery.

This could be a fun political process to observe keeping the latter in mind.
  • Nparker and 2F2R like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:50 PM

...Personally, I like it ... I like it a lot.

Really? It looks like something I would have built out of LEGO when I was about 8 years old.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users