BUILT
Tapestry at Victoria Harbour
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 701 Belleville Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Tapestry at Victoria Harbour is a 15-storey mixed-use seniors rental and condominium residence with ground flo... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tapestry at Victoria Harbour on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Tapestry / 701 Belleville Street | Seniors condos and rentals; commercial | 15- & 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#161 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Demolition of the existing Crystal Court Motel will be underway soon.

• Nparker and 2F2R like this

#162 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Hallelujah!

• 2F2R likes this

#163 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

What! They only just boarded it up.

#164 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

What! They only just boarded it up.

10 years ago.  ;)

• 2F2R likes this

#165 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

In its prime ca. 1964

cc 1964.JPG

• tedward likes this

#166 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

Yesterday I noticed they had cut down the half-dozen or so trees along the Belleville St sidewalk, and were in the process of putting up high chain-link fencing along at least 2 sides of the property (where there was only a waist-high railing-type fence) along Douglas St and Blanchard St.

Hope these are good signs!

• Nparker and jonny like this

#167 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

Interior demolition of the old motel is underway, so perhaps excavation will be underway before Labour Day?
  • jonny likes this

#168 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

Hadn't seen this angle before...

In the combined complex there will be 131 rental units and 42 condominium units, and all are designated as senior housing (the agreement with the city specifically defines senior as those 65 years of age or more). To allay fears of some that in the future the housing might migrate from providing senior housing, the agreement also specifically mentions "perpetual availability of rental units for seniors."

https://www.jamesbay...omplex-approved

Edited by aastra, 11 August 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#169 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

To allay fears of some that in the future the housing might migrate from providing senior housing...

That's a terrifying prospect, for sure.

#170 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

Re: that overhead rendering, isn't it goofy that the newest building on that block is going to have the least interesting roofline?

Edited by aastra, 12 August 2017 - 10:37 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

I think they should rename this project "The Compromise" in homage to all the better proposals that preceded it.

• Hotel Mike, grantpalin and tjv like this

#172 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

Re: that overhead rendering, isn't it goofy that the newest building on that block is going to have the least interesting roofline?

Think of the seagulls that will love it.

#173 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

That is an interesting angle. Notice how they chose high overhead western sunlight, so that it appears the taller building hardly casts a shadow. I wonder how it will affect the lawn bowlers, and St.Ann's. I assume the compromise was that the part of the building at Douglas and Belleville would be low, so they could have higher levels in the tower. Also, if they actually have a left turn into the parking lot from Belleville, that is going to mess up some traffic big time. Let's hope they make cars enter only from Belleville going east.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#174 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

To allay fears of some that in the future the housing might migrate from providing senior housing, the agreement also specifically mentions "perpetual availability of rental units for seniors."

Just imagine if the rental market ever evolves and they need to make an adjustment to allow younger renters (you know, 55+ instead of 65+). Come on, since when was this property ever supposed to be the exclusive domain of the elderly? Since never. And yet now it's so. It's all just so silly, the way these supposed principles and priorities are plucked out of thin air.

• VicHockeyFan, zoomer, Nparker and 1 other like this

#175 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,289 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

173-units of seniors rentals and condos to rise at Douglas and Belleville streets

http://victoria.citi...701-belleville/

• Kapten Kapsell and jonny like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#176 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

Demolition has started of the Crystal Court motel

http://www.vicnews.c..._medium=twitter

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 10.52.52 PM.jpg

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, Bingo and 2 others like this

#177 Cityguy

Cityguy
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

Another example of, what I'll refer to as "Victoria Blandness"  Yet another square block building with little, or no, redeeming architectural significance. While I recognize the need for seniors housing SURELY the developer and the City of Victoria could have agreed upon something that would add some flair to this very significant area of downtown.  A BIG thumbs-down on this one.

• Nparker likes this

#178 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

Another example of, what I'll refer to as "Victoria Blandness"  Yet another square block building with little, or no, redeeming architectural significance. While I recognize the need for seniors housing SURELY the developer and the City of Victoria could have agreed upon something that would add some flair to this very significant area of downtown.  A BIG thumbs-down on this one.

I "affectionately" refer to Tapestry as "Boxy on Belleville". I suppose this is what you get when you have to appease too many people. Perhaps if I had never seen this proposal I might be less disenchanted with what is being built here.

Crystal Court proposal (2005).JPG

Edited by Nparker, 22 October 2017 - 10:08 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#179 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

You're exactly right Nparker. I remember how bold that proposal from Westbank was. And if I remember correctly, the triangle shaped building would have housed a new Art Gallery of Greater Victoria. Alas, look what we're getting now.  :mad:

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

Yes, that is correct. It was to have served as a downtown satellite gallery. The best part was detractors who said it wasn't quite right as a free satellite gallery, that it should be bigger/better.

The crickets have since retired from chirping on that front.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users