Car Free YYJ in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

Right. And it's an arterial that's not Victorian. There's nothing along Douglas that has anything to do with the "narrative."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

I think moving the event to Government would be to lose the entire point of things. I believe the message is meant to be that a major thoroughfare can be closed to vehicular traffic for a day and the world won't end.

I am not interested in tacky tents full of touristy trinkets, and I dislike crowds.

Didn't go last year or this, even if the mayor is in the tank.

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:52 PM

I think moving the event to Government would be to lose the entire point of things. I believe the message is meant to be that a major thoroughfare can be closed to vehicular traffic for a day and the world won't end.

It's a political statement. It could be the Government Street Festival, or Douglas Street Festival, or Victoria Street Festival. But no, it's Car Free Day.

So I spent part of the day waxing the car.

• johnk and todd like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

I am not interested in tacky tents full of touristy trinkets, and I dislike crowds.

I can assure you touristy trinkets were nowhere to be seen. The festival celebrates local artisans who create for their communities, not the tourism trade.

You should check it out next year :)
  • Nparker and nagel like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:18 PM

Not very satisfying when she actually wants you to dunk her.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

It's a political statement. It could be the Government Street Festival, or Douglas Street Festival, or Victoria Street Festival. But no, it's Car Free Day.

So I spent part of the day waxing the car.

I bought $5,000 in gasoline in Gordon Head and just poured it down the storm drain, directly from the nozzle.  Just to counter-balance this thing.

• Rob Randall and Jill like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

If I recall the back history correctly, it was originally going to be a monthly car free day on Government, but there are some stone age businesses along that corridor who think pedestrianization, even for a day, is pure heresy.  Irish Linen Stores among them.  So that got canned, and I believe this Douglas festival sprung up from those ashes.  The big prize is still shutting down those half dozen blocks of Government during summer, but it will be a trench war making it happen.

Back to carfreeYYJ, the bike parking was a great touch, but none of the vendors knew where it was.  Luckily there was a map on Facebook.  Also I thought it was ridiculous keeping at least 3 cross streets open to vehicular traffic.  There were times when hundreds of people were standing there for 1 or 2 cars.  It defeats the purpose of the event IMO.  For 7 hours, I think it's ok if cars have to go to Discovery or to Belleville to get around.

Great way to spend Father's Day.  I got a massive lemonade, some oysters, and one of those lemon coconut donuts from Empire.  Also managed to not lose any of my 3 kids down there.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:21 AM

Back to carfreeYYJ, the bike parking was a great touch, but none of the vendors knew where it was.  Luckily there was a map on Facebook.  Also I thought it was ridiculous keeping at least 3 cross streets open to vehicular traffic.  There were times when hundreds of people were standing there for 1 or 2 cars.  It defeats the purpose of the event IMO.  For 7 hours, I think it's ok if cars have to go to Discovery or to Belleville to get around.

Ya, it seemed to me they could have closed them for longer stretches and just opened them every 5 minutes or when a bus came along.

With Douglas St. closed to buses, I'm not even sure if there were many of them.  #15 maybe only?

They probably could have worked it with just Pandora and Fort open.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:23 AM

I never saw a bus cross Douglas.  There must have been some though.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

I never saw a bus cross Douglas.  There must have been some though.

Well, if you think about it, only #15 and maybe #24 or whatever Cedar Hill is.  All the buses that come into town from the east, on Yates and Pandora would have been re-routed at Blanshard.  And all the ones that come in on Douglas from both north and south were re-routed.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:34 AM

Yup, buses went up Fort.

Yates was void of traffic. They could have closed it, I think.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

I went to Yates Taphouse after the car-free, the place was packed at 6pm.  Part of that was the NBA game #7, but still, I think many went after the day on Douglas.

#33 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

The whole thing was a huge success, as it was last year, and a real boon for both the downtown community and the businesses on the street. And I'd be kind of embarrassed if I was too much of an ideologue to admit it. :)

• Nparker and Jill like this

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

I really liked the "sidewalk" cafes set up by The Mint and Veneto, although the latter would have benefited from some white tablecloths IMHO. Both seemed to be very popular with folks and a nice alternative to standing in line at one of the food trucks. I chose Hungry Rooster myself after developing quite the appetite watching the admittedly good sport, Lisa Helps, get dunked several times. 

The outdoor living room near Centennial Square (courtesy of Capital Iron) was also a nice place to rest up from the crowds and the sun.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:45 AM

Douglas St. really needs a hosing down today.  It's dirty.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:47 AM

So in other words, Douglas Street looks pretty much like it does every day except Car Free YYJ.

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

How full were the parkades for the event?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#38 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:49 AM

Bike parking wasn't full so I bet the parkades were a zoo.

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

From that letter to the TC, I thought this was funny:

I lived in Ottawa in the 1970s and endured the protracted and agonizing discussions about whether Sparks Street should become a pedestrian precinct. Ask people now what they think of it — it would be hard to find a negative opinion.
- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.ukwjmyxK.dpuf

http://ottawacitizen...k-from-the-dead

http://www.ottawasun...-a-little-spark

etc.

#40 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:52 AM

I bought $5,000 in gasoline in Gordon Head and just poured it down the storm drain, directly from the nozzle.  Just to counter-balance this thing.

Naming an event after an airport code (unless it's at the airport) is just poor marketing, half the people showed up at the Victoria airport*.

*statistic VHF foundation

Edited by todd, 20 June 2016 - 08:54 AM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users