Photo

Car Free YYJ in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#141 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

Why? I don't see the point. I see large public events are part of their necessary on-the-job training. You can't gain experience dealing with the public from a classroom textbook. 

#142 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

Why?

Perhaps because the COV Mayor and Council have taken a very strong position indicating publicly (and repeatedly) that the COV doesn't have enough money to pay police what they need to be paid in order to facilitate large public gatherings.

There is (in many cases) no real need for VicPD to be present at some of these "special events" in any greater numbers than they otherwise would be on any normal weekend.

Considering the daily issues caused by our very visible local criminal contingent, it seems somewhat disingenuous to imply that the regular folks with their kids who would attend these types of events somehow require an advanced level of policing.

• sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#143 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

Why? I don't see the point. I see large public events are part of their necessary on-the-job training. You can't gain experience dealing with the public from a classroom textbook. 

large public events should pay their own way.   if you decide to block off a street for a paint in you should pay for it.

#144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

Perhaps because the COV Mayor and Council have taken a very strong position indicating publicly (and repeatedly) that the COV doesn't have enough money to pay police what they need to be paid in order to facilitate large public gatherings.

There is (in many cases) no real need for VicPD to be present at some of these "special events" in any greater numbers than they otherwise would be on any normal weekend.

Considering the daily issues caused by our very visible local criminal contingent, it seems somewhat disingenuous to imply that the regular folks with their kids who would attend these types of events somehow require an advanced level of policing.

exactly. if anything our place requires a 24/7 police presence not the paint in.  but sjw's would call foul.

• Nparker likes this

#145 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

large public events should pay their own way.   if you decide to block off a street for a paint in you should pay for it.

Or, as part of a 'healthy and vibrant' (whatever that means these days) city, providing public safety at large events should be part of the public safety budgets.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#146 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Or, as part of a 'healthy and vibrant' (whatever that means these days) city, providing public safety at large events should be part of the public safety budgets.  

it depends on the event.

the art gallery raising funds at an event that has never had trouble should we pay for that?  same for the parade or the 10k or marathon why so many cops?  believe it or not these events can be held with zero police. like how a bc ferry sails  with 2,000 people onboard and requires no cops.  or a royals game with 7,000 fans requires zero cops.

police can respond as required.  no need for a huge presence.  the moss street paint-in is hardly a simmering power-keg of civil disorder.  the big car show on oak bay avenue each summer has zero cops.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 June 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#147 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:29 AM

Someone has to deploy and monitor all those 'temporary' CCTV cameras... 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#148 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:11 PM

i think part of the reason is people feel safe when they see an officer patrolling, especially when there is large crowds..

#149 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

i think part of the reason is people feel safe when they see an officer patrolling, especially when there is large crowds..

do you feel unsafe on a bcf?  zero police and 2,000 people jammed together,

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 June 2019 - 12:39 PM.

#150 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

Did security for a company that worked for BC Ferries, there are several protocols in place for the fact there are no police, and rooms to secure people in till the ship docs and RCMP officers board to take them away. You don't need cops on board, you need them at the end to take the guy away at the end.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#151 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

Did security for a company that worked for BC Ferries, there are several protocols in place for the fact there are no police, and rooms to secure people in till the ship docs and RCMP officers board to take them away. You don't need cops on board, you need them at the end to take the guy away at the end.

99% of the time. meanwhile the paint in has 14 on each cross block.

#152 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:19 PM

do you feel unsafe on a bcf?  zero police and 2,000 people jammed together,

i do feel safe on BC ferries, people have paid to ride the ferry to get to a destination, it's not a case of people randomly wandering around that could be looking to stir the pot at a free event, people are also less likely to get/be drunk, dealing with heat stroke, crowds and other conflict on BC ferries, there is also a very decent visual staff presence on BC ferries, along with cameras.. also the free events around town can bring in far more then 2,000 people

• sebberry likes this

#153 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

i do feel safe on BC ferries, people have paid to ride the ferry to get to a destination, it's not a case of people randomly wandering around that could be looking to stir the pot at a free event, people are also less likely to get/be drunk, dealing with heat stroke, crowds and other conflict on BC ferries, there is also a very decent visual staff presence on BC ferries, along with cameras.. also the free events around town can bring in far more then 2,000 people

great then.  free events attract crowds of drunks.  sounds like the same reason we want losers to live here. "bring it on!!!!"  ~ Mayor Helps.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 June 2019 - 02:25 PM.

#154 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

great then.  free events attract crowds of drunks.  sounds like the same reason we want losers to live here. "bring it on!!!!"  ~ Mayor Helps.

i'm not specifically saying that.. people don't ride the ferry for entertainment.. they ride it as a part of a highway to help get from point A to point B, and the people who ride the ferry are only on the ferry for a set time frame then they all leave (except staff ofcourse) where as a free event around town people go to for entertainment value, to socialize, to eat, sometimes to hit up a beer garden, for music and dancing and sometimes things can get out of control when there are crowds in a compact area for entertainment

and ofcourse a free event is free so it can attract a larger crowd.. now if these free events had a sizable section of volunteers in bright neon shirts patrolling in pairs watching out for signs of things getting out of control, general crowd control, helping people who may have tripped or someone who has had too much sun, i think it would offer a similar effect as police officers patrolling for the feeling of safety aspect

#155 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

paint in could be 100% volunteer under your program.

no need for a single cop, instead of the 60 that currently work it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 June 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#156 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

cops installed surveillance cameras at car free day today.

why? because of troubles at past events?

no just because they could. it was fun to set up.

we should push back against random surveillance.
  • Cassidy likes this

#157 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

paint in could be 100% volunteer under your program.

no need for a single cop, instead of the 60 that currently work it.

i do agree that some highly aimed family friendly events could be mostly volunteer based..  where some events like Canada day downtown the police presence is a good thing as the day progresses to evening

#158 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

They certainly are being a bit agro with their promotion of this event on Facebook today....

#159 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:40 PM

99% of the time. meanwhile the paint in has 14 on each cross block.

I think you misunderstand, BC Ferries is under maritime law, which is different than land lover law. Every crew member is able to enforce maritime law, those you have a boat full of "cops". Generally though its gonna be the deck crew that responds.

#160 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

that does not require uniformed police. it should be handled by private contractors just like at any construction site.

Nice warm sunny day with lots of activities going on, who wouldn't want to be paid overtime at rates 2 or 3 times your normal pay?!

Edited by spanky123, 16 June 2019 - 03:42 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users