Car Free YYJ in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#161 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

paint in could be 100% volunteer under your program.

no need for a single cop, instead of the 60 that currently work it.

Members of the public have do not have the same ability to enforce laws as the police do, and nor should they be putting themselves in harms way as a volunteer for an event. You seem to forget we are in a terrorism based would.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#162 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:55 PM

You seem to forget we are in a terrorism based would.

Nah ... we don't.

I haven't, and won't ever drink that Kool-Aid.

The folks down on Moss Street probably don't have to worry much about "terrorism" getting too close to Moss and May anytime soon ... and the 40 cops can have the day off.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#163 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

Getting back to the actual topic, it was an awesome afternoon at car free yyj. Not too hot, live music, HUGE number of booths, love the silent disco (so cool!), the axe throwing booth seemed to be really popular, got to drink beer while walking down the middle of Douglas. 

You guys need to get out more. Just saying!  :)

• todd likes this

#164 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

You’re scaring me.

#165 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,859 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:49 AM

Members of the public have do not have the same ability to enforce laws as the police do, and nor should they be putting themselves in harms way as a volunteer for an event. You seem to forget we are in a terrorism based would.

use flaggers like a construction roadwork site.  we are just talking about moss south of fairfield here.   the only significant intersections are may and dallas and they are hardly high-traffic.  dallas is not blocked just the end of moss is.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 June 2019 - 02:50 AM.

#166 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:55 AM

rubbish. we are #57 on the world terrorism list.

#167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:56 AM

got to drink beer while walking down the middle of Douglas. 

i did the same last friday.  was that wrong?

62d93af94e3efd2661d1745ae2a5f4c9.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 June 2019 - 03:14 AM.

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:07 AM

Axe throwing, eh?

I would think police act as more of a deterrent. We also have police stationed at every arrival and departure of the Coho, and maybe even the clipper.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#169 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:25 AM

ya the axe company has a mobile booth.

#170 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:26 AM

on the deterrent front. we don’t even have police at the legislature lawn where large groups gather. or government street at the empress. or the moss market. those have big crowds too. i’m not sure the paint in is any bigger potential target.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 June 2019 - 05:28 AM.

#171 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:50 AM

The Leg has its own police force. The paint-in attracts tens of thousands on a nice day, doesn’t it? I think some police presence at a large gathering like that is necessary. We certainly see police at the arena.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#172 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:56 AM

there are few police at the arena for hockey games. or curling. just concerts.

#173 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:27 AM

The area is public property which uses private security for there events. Police are not responsible for policing in private property situations unless they are called there.

Could you at least try to make apple to apple comparisons?

#174 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:30 AM

police go to the arena whenever they want to.

#175 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:36 AM

police go to the arena whenever they want to.

Of course they go, but they are not responsible for the security of the arena. Liquor enforcement officials go to the area as well.

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

Ok, I think we’ve all had enough of this.

This aside has just catapulted itself into the realm of utter nonsense. I haven’t the faintest clue what’s even being talked about and I’m sure others agree.

You all know the drill. Future posts pertaining to the ranger will get nixed.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#177 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:56 AM

You deleted my post but left the post up prior to mine which mentions me by name and somehow implies that I am prone to believing that 9/11 is an inside job?

Please do exercise an even hand Mike ... and do me the honor of deleting (or at least editing) the post that mentions me by name in the context of asking a completely insincere, and utterly ridiculous question.

Thanks.

• Mike K. likes this

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

Yes, that was an ommision. Thank you for reminding me.
  • Cassidy likes this

Know it all.

#179 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

My Great Fathers Day
Woke up at 5:30 AM. My second son was wide awake by then. Coffee. The Snowman video and some mini pancakes. Baby back pack on, walking sticks, and a hike in the forest. Come back, first son up, shower, cut beard, self trim hair. wife's made eggs, bacon, fresh fruit and whipping cream. first son is off to listen to an audio book while second son naps on wife and we talk. son wakes and we herd everyone into the car and head into town for car free day (oh the irony). We split up at the arcade. Son and I play AC/DC pinball, Galaga and Super Off Road. Meet back up with other half for Gelato. Stop and watch Darth Fiddler for a minute. Drop $2 and get picture taken. Get three Vanilla bean gelatos on Government St so they were expensive. (this is relevant later). As we are sitting in the sun enjoying the relative peace since most people are packing Douglas St on car free day. Then we hear the F*KING B*CH. I'll F*KING KILL YOU lumbering down the street. As they get nearer and louder they pounce on an older lady yelling in their face F*KING B*CH. I'll F*KING KILL YOU! Then they are coming in on us. I draw a line with my hands to indicate the boundary. They pass by yelling F*KING B*CH. I'll F*KING KILL YOU! at a few more people beside us. At this point I'm coming around the front of the bench. Still eating my gelato although by now the bottom has split in two. Someone stands up to them and then walks away in our direction. F*KING B*CH. I'll F*KING KILL YOU! starts heading straight for us. I again draw the line. They get a little too close so I put my arm across without touching them and interrupt their F*KING B*CH with a "stay away from my family". Their brain stutters for a moment. Then they start up again F*KING B*CH. I'll F*KING KILL YOU! Where I then yell "STAY AWAY FROM MY FAMILY!" Their companion is half holding them back and I am just standing there staring at them as they yell at me F*KING B*CH. I'll F*KING KILL YOU! They do a kind of strange zombie slow motion attack and feign to hit me. Then my son begins to cry so I go to him. They are continuing on as their companion leads them away but now I'm a little enraged. They have made my son cry and my Gelato is melting all down my hand! So I start yelling at them "THANKS A LOT". A wise and large man gave some good advice and suggested I leave it and we just go. I know good advice when I hear it so we left and saw him helping out "the situation". We all got over it and had a nice drive home and barbecued dinner, watched some Dave Chappelle, argued on the internet. All in all, A great Fathers's Day, very memorable. Thanks Family! 

• Rob Randall and todd like this

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

Now imagine if that exit door had a 10 second delay :)

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users