Greece and the EU

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

Are people that naive to believe another round of deals will solve anything?

Politically it saves whats-his-name.  Three years might be a long run in these coalition prop-rep governments I guess.

This deal will not fix the unemployment rate.  The privatizations might help things, the higher tax won't (since they have trouble collecting it often anyway).  Cutting some other regulations will be good. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

It's hard to believe there is any hope for Greece. It is run by Marxists, has a culture deeply rooted in government handouts and is riddled with rampant corruption to boot.

#83 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

It's hard to believe there is any hope for Greece. It is run by Marxists, has a culture deeply rooted in government handouts and is riddled with rampant corruption to boot.

And 3 more years of the same won't make it get a conservative government, right?  Ya, hard to see...

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#84 aastra

aastra
  • 14,936 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

It is run by Marxists, has a culture deeply rooted in government handouts and is riddled with rampant corruption to boot.

I suppose there had to be one.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,493 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Sounds like BC's official opposition party's wet dream.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 LJ

LJ
  • 9,122 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

Politically it saves whats-his-name.  Three years might be a long run in these coalition prop-rep governments I guess.

This deal will not fix the unemployment rate.  The privatizations might help things, the higher tax won't (since they have trouble collecting it often anyway).  Cutting some other regulations will be good. 

The taxes they are talking about are sales taxes, not income taxes, so there is some likelihood of capturing it. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:50 AM

Looks like no deal will happen today. Some Euro leaders want Athens to pass legislative tax changes first.

It's clear they will get no debt write-down.

Another week of closed banks is not going to be great with the Greek people.

Interesting.

#88 rjag

rjag
  • 5,241 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

Greece is quickly learning they need the EU more than the EU needs them!!!!!

#89 johnk

johnk
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

From a friend in Europe -
Some years ago a small rural town in Spain twinned with a similar town in Greece.  The mayor of the Greek town visited the Spanish town. When he saw the palatial mansion belonging to the Spanish mayor, he wondered aloud how on earth he could afford such a house.

The Spaniard replied: “You see that bridge over there? The EU gave us a grant to construct a two-lane bridge, but by building a single lane bridge with traffic lights at either end, I could build this place.”

The following year the Spaniard visited the Greek town.  He was simply amazed at the Greek mayor's house: gold taps, marble floors, diamond doorknobs, it was marvellous.  When he asked how he’d raised the money to build this incredible house, the Greek mayor said: “You see that bridge over there?”.  The Spaniard replied: “No.”
  • rjag, pherthyl and lanforod like this

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

Well, well, they really want the new Greece government to be serious before they get any more money

http://business.fina...om-the-eurozone

Greece given 72 hours to win trust by passing bailout laws or face suspension from eurozone

European leaders gave Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras a straightforward choice on Sunday: disown his principles or quit the euro.  Euro-area leaders presented Tsipras with a laundry list of unfinished business from previous bailouts he’d pilloried in opposition and during six turbulent months in office. They gave him three days to enact their main demands into Greek law in exchange for the third bailout in five years.

Euro-area leaders also want Tsipras to transfer as much as 50 billion euros (US$56 billion) of state assets to an independent Luxembourg-based company for sale and make him fire the workers he hired in defiance of Greece’s previous bailout commitments.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

This is from The Australian:

Why Germany is showing no mercy to Greece

The Germans have had enough. They are the only European country with sufficient Greek rescue money and the Germans have decided to get tough with countries like Greece: either you accept pain or you get out of the euro.

The Germans will now not throw good money after bad unless the Greeks come into line. And because the Greeks allowed their country to decline further by not accepting the initial rescue terms offered, the pain they must now accept has been increased. There is no mercy now.

Accordingly we have a degree of clarity to the Greek crisis. Europe is giving the Greece a choice of a depression caused by the further severe austerity measures required to stay in the euro or an even deeper depression by switching to its own currency.

And if they want help, they first must pass the tough measures and hope they will be looked after. The Greeks no longer have any negotiating power.

Either way there is going to be a mass exodus of Greeks from Greece. Europe is teaching its other weaker members of the euro that if they follow the Greek path to the left, they too will face depressions and mass population exoduses.

The only hope Greece has of escaping the full severity of what was decided at the weekend is if Russia or China comes in to help. The problems in both countries make that a very long shot.

Given that Greece is choosing between two degrees of depression, Greeks would be better longer term to leave the euro but effectively its banking system would be bankrupt and it would face an awful five years or more of depression with the real possibility of a dictator from the right or left gaining control. But with its own currency, Greece would be better off longer term.

http://www.theaustra...p-1227439521097

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

EUROZONE governments taking a tough line on Greece's demand for debt relief and easier bailout terms fear opening a can of worms.

CEDING too much ground to Athens could ignite a broader political crisis by infuriating people in other bailed-out countries in the currency bloc which, unlike Greece, have obediently complied with the demands of creditors and largely restored their financial health through painful - and politically costly - austerity measures.

Governments in Spain, Portugal and Ireland, which all face elections within the next nine months, fear losing power to parties that, like Greece's radical left Syriza, are calling for an end to budget cuts and easier terms on debt.

http://www.news.com....r-1227439728329

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

Here is a very pro-Greece slant from HufffPost:

German-Led Eurogroup Launching Coup Against Greek Government

http://www.huffingto..._n_7781736.html

The author never says what the better plan is, or why Greece should not have to pay back its debts.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:23 PM

No deal tonight.

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:06 AM

I spoke too soon. A deal is in place.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:17 AM

What has Alexis Tsipras achieved for the Greek people?

Monday morning, after 14 hours of talks among the euro area's finance ministers and an additional 17 hours among the group's leaders, the Greek prime minister came away with a much worse deal than the one he just persuaded Greek voters to reject. Now he must sell it to his parliament and people.

To be clear, for all the previous overheated talk of Greece's "humiliation" by the euro area countries that were bailing it out, this deal is indeed humiliating for Tsipras and Greece. The decision to set up a fund into which the country has to place 50 billion euros ($55 billion) worth of assets for privatization is the kind of thing that courts do to bankrupt companies ruled no longer competent to manage their own recovery.

The demand that Greece's parliament must, within three days, legislate for measures the government has in the past described as "criminal" and "terrorist" only underscores the degree to which Greece's economic sovereignty has been suspended.

No matter what the parliament decides and whether Greece ultimately stays in the euro or leaves, Europe will pay a price down the road for such a vengeful act. Many Greeks are enraged, and the prominent role played by Germany in driving such a harsh bargain has awakened old stereotypes, which the European Union and its common currency were designed to dispel forever.

Right now, however, it is Tsipras whom Greeks should blame. Consider where the country was a little more than a year ago, when his political party Syriza burst onto the scene by winning Greek elections to the European Parliament. The party argued that, were it not for the supine approach that the country's then center-right government was taking toward its creditors, Greece could end austerity measures, return to prosperity and keep the euro. That was not true, but it was attractive.

http://www.bloomberg...ndalized-greece

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

Greek PM Tsipras says he is resigning, holding early elections

#98 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,878 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

It is really shocking that they are out of money given the stability of their government.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

After two weeks in power, Portugal’s government toppled by left-wing coalition with Communist Party

http://news.national...communist-party

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

Greece is about to run out of cash. Again. But this time a bailout might not be coming

http://business.fina...t-not-be-coming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users