Photo

Light Rapid Transit (aka Light Rail Transit)

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#1 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:18 PM

What is the minimum requirement of ridership to make LRT feasible? On an other link G-man speculated that Sooke might warrant LRT if the population doubled to 22,000 people. The west shore has a population now, of nearly 50,000 people . If park and ride commuters from North of the malahat were included, the numbers might work sooner than later.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

With, say, a catchment area of 60,000, LRT would be astronomically expensive to build and operate through to downtown Victoria from the west. With just a scraping of density between the urbanized core of the west shore and downtown Victoria, LRT would be a dud until density nodes were established.

There's a reason why the #50 bus, #61, and all other buses deadheading out west deadhead out west. They'll stop on some offramps along HWY1, but that's to throw a couple people off and pack a couple people on. For the rest of the ride folks remain standing until they get out at the Colwood exchange or the Canwest exchange.

And realistically speaking, will View Royal and the parts of Saanich currently along the proposed route change zoning from single family dwellings to high-density apartments? They'll have to in order to make stations viable, but when you have View Royal residents complaining about towers at Town and Country the chances of that happening are slim.

The only economic sense for LRT in the region is to run it from downtown through to Shelbourne/Hillside and then towards the UVic area. Anything other than that will result in an infrequent service servicing low-density auto-dependent communities. Although transit reliance will increase in the west shore, it's still a long ways out before its high enough to justify a full blown LRT. Also, LRT wouldn't even be necessary in a downtown/UVic route as streetcars could support similar capacity at a lower cost and without a dedicated right of way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

Now is the time to start collecting the right-of-way for LRT towards the Western Communities, but nowhere near time to think about building it.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

The right of way is already in place from downtown through to Langford -- or the majority of it is, anyways.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

This report by Todd Litman has a lot of the answers about the catchment area...

http://islandtransfo...s/ ... Dec.pdf

#6 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:18 PM

Derf is correct in saying that the proposed route as it stands now will likely never achieve high density nodes along it. A more direct route along Esquimalt Rd. and across Esquimalt harbour on the other hand already has the potential for density nodes. There is a critical mass of ridership that is needed to make LRT viable. With this in mind; starting in the east with Gordon head the line should run into Victoria then along Esquimalt Rd. across the harbour, along Goldstream Ave. and then out past the new West hills development , finally terminating at Goldstream Park where passengers transfer to the North bound commuter train. Using this route; might comprise the required amount of passengers.

#7 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

In conjunction with the LRT; street car systems should connect up to stations to add to the ridership. One such street car could run in front of Royal Roads along Esquimalt Lagoon to the base of Lagoon Estates and then along the water to Royal bay development terminating at a park and ride for people coming out of Metchosin.

#8 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

Build it and they will come. Look at the M-line in Vancouver, it was constructed in an area that was mostly industrial with a few nodes of higher density. Now there's tonnes of construction around most stations, and it's pretty much at the ridership projections, can't recall if it's slightly over or under, and that's without the extra leg that was initially planned for the North East Sector and the western extension.

#9 obscurantist

obscurantist

in your backyard

• 53 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

Vancouver provides a great example of how not to build a commuter rail network.

If Victoria followed Vancouver’s example, it would start with a line through the most highly-populated and well-established urban areas – say, downtown to Oak Bay – but using an incredibly expensive and untested form of technology as a political favour to another provincial government, as opposed to using streetcars or more conventional off-street light rail.

The second phase would initially be billed as an expansion out toward Gordon Head, but instead it would be built out to Langford.

The province would then devolve power to a regional transit authority, while making the authority effectively toothless in terms of raising revenues outside of the traditional sources of fuel taxes, property taxes, and fares, as well as making it effectively toothless in terms of transportation planning, as the province would force the authority to build a new line twinning the old one by going at a diagonal angle to it through the same core cities – and still not going anywhere close to the university.

Next, a major sporting event would serve as the impetus for federal and provincial funding for a line up to Sidney, with a spur line to the airport (but not to the ferry terminal). The Transportation Minister would order a review of the transportation authority’s governance structure, not on the basis of the decisions it had made, but because it had approved the Sidney-Airport line so narrowly. Proposed expansions up the Malahat, further into the Western Communities, and to UVic would remain on the back burner indefinitely, as there wouldn’t be any money for them.

So, what are Victorians waiting for? Don’t you want to be a world-class city like Vancouver? :smt003

#10 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

There should be a line built to Sidney and Swartz Bay, then by bridge island hop from Saltspring island over to Galiano Island where the Fast Cat ferries should have been used as RO/RO (roll on / roll off) ships taking the LRT over to the mainland and Vancouver. As for Sidney the street car would connect that town and the LRT with the airport.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

I have posted this before but this is my own personal concept for routing an LRT or street car in Victoria.

The red line is my proposal with the blue line being the alternate or second line.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

I like it but carry the red line trough to Sooke Lk rd. and the blue line from Cadboro bay, UVIC, along Mekenzie and Admirals to Esquimalt rd. to complete the Crosstown route.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:08 PM

I am not saying it couldn't be extended. The red line in an amalgam of some of the key destinations on the #6, 14, 4, 26 Bus routes.

The #14, 6, 26, and the 30 are the highest ridership routes. The number 4 is the fifth highest.

The blue line would accomodate much of the usuage of # 30 but would not be needed right away.

It has a whole new look!

#14 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

High density nodes are a good idea to achieve ridership. Though I believe that you could acheive a good ridership on an lrt line now in the westshores by providing good park and ride locations. The bus routes take a ridiculous amount of time to ride from downtown to Langford. If an Lrt line could provide quick reliable transportation with a good park and ride service many people would opt out of the colwood crawl to use an lrt service. We also have to build for the future too. The west shores will surpass the 100,000 population in the near future with developments like Bear Mountian, West Hills, Royal Bay, each development with populations in the 15,000-20,000 range, added to lagoon estates, and high density developments in the Colwood Corners area, they should start looking at building an lrt line now. Better at todays prices than in ten to 15 years when we will be looking at upgraded highways etc. As it stands Millstream overpass is at capacity, the Langford Parkway is under construction crossing with the new Vetran's Memorial Parkway. McKenzie and the Trans Canada is in a dire need of an interchange, and this is all feeding a population base that will double in the near future. To me there is no question what needs to be done. It's just I don't think the Provincial Government has any ambition to invest in Victoria. Though you never know when election time comes what the government may propose to intice the south island voters.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

It would be cool if someone else wanted to come up with their own ideal routings for LRT in the Capital. Any takers?

It has a whole new look!

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

I think that the WestShore should just get a modified E&N no need to build anything new out there. If it is well used then it will be improved.

It has a whole new look!

#17 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

Maybe but the train would actually have to come into the city in the morning and not leave the city in the morning!!! hahaha....

Only in Victoria could a commuter train leave downtown at rush hour and head in to town at even rush hour!!! All the while the brainiacs seem so perplexed why ridership is so low! and while they scratch their heads trying to find ways to improve ridership!!! It's like a sick comedy show of some sort!!!

#18 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

If it is not fast and convenient people will not use it.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

It could easily be fast. As was noted recently it currently takes 26 minutes from Langford to Victoria. I am sure some basic work would get that down to around the 22 minute mark. That is much better than the length of some commutes currently so I am sure it would be used.

You could eventually have an LRT from Langford to Sooke especially after Royal Bay is built as you have it stop there first before going West.

It has a whole new look!

#20 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

It's not convenient when it leaves downtown in the morning that's for sure.

Though it could be a quick fix while they plan a new lrt option. They would have to completely change the way the E&N currently works. New stations one or two more cars. Easy to access park and rides with minimal stops. They would have to make it so that a trip would be quicker than taking a car or taking the bus. I believe they could make it reliable and quick. It would be an exciting venture for this region.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users