Victoria Pride parades and local LGBTQ+ news, issues

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#141 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,859 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:20 AM

I’m old enough to remember when female strippers were proposed to perform indoors, in a 19+ environment, in a regulated setting at a pub in Langford. And the community was outraged.

Now these odd men want to gyrate for our children, dressed sexually provocatively, for what thrill or motivation is unclear, and the public champions it.

#142 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:29 AM

...drag shows of this type should not be directed at an “all ages” audience...

I tend to agree and I say this as a gay man. This does not mean I condone the actions of those who chose to harass and potentially harm the participants/audience of the proposed event.

• dasmo and Love the rock like this

#143 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:45 AM

Ya, the issues are different and shouldn't blend. Threats of violence are a sign of a lost soul. Probably consuming too much media on the subject. While not gay myself I grew up in the 80's liking Duran Duran and looked the part :banana: . My best friend wore makeup. I have been attacked downtown back in the day hanging out together being called all the usual things. So I get and support the premise of pride in the sense of bringing it out so people don't have to hide who they are. Don't have to fear repercussions for their way of life etc. But like most things it's nuanced. There are issues with sexualizing children. But that becomes verboten to talk about now.

Edited by dasmo, 20 June 2022 - 10:57 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#144 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:48 AM

...Don't have to fear replications for their way of life etc... 

Damned auto text!  :angry:

#145 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:57 AM

Tnx. Haha. Apparently not a word I use much. Had to pretty much finish it.

#146 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 07:59 PM

Glad to see things worked out well for the Cafe.

https://www.timescol...ag-show-5494750

#147 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 04:49 PM

@vicpdcanada

Officers are walking the perimeter of the park, letting folks know that MacDonald Park is currently at capacity.

@VictoriaPride has made an announcement from the stage updating everyone. Thank you for your patience, #yyj #yyjpride

The capacity issues at MacDonald Park have stabilized. @VictoriaPride have everything well in hand, & most officers are no longer needed on scene. #yyjtraffic will continue to be disrupted in James Bay this afternoon. Thanks for your patience, #yyj.

#148 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 05:23 PM

Expected to protect the pride participants but not allowed to take part while in uniform.

#wokeirony
  • spanky123 and sebberry like this

#149 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:47 PM

Interesting string going on in a local FB 'Rant and Rave' group where someone posted a lengthy *rant* about a woman who showed up a the pride parade yesterday with her young kidlins in tow, and snapped a few pics of some women parade participants who were topless. Not something I would've done - that's what mirrored sunglasses are for: you can look but not be seen to be looking :) - but the point is the poster went ballistic on an endless tirade about how it was 'illegal' to take pics of someone in public without permission yada yada yada. This string last I checked had about 200 posts on it with posters raging at one another foaming at the mouth one way or the other on the question of legality vs required permission, or not. Can't personally imagine expending that much energy or time on such an online activity on a nice sunny evening, but to each their own...

That said if you are a woman or a man and opt to show up topless in public - in a public space no less - I'm pretty certain under Canadian law you essentially can have no realistic expectation of 'privacy' under those circumstances all things considered when it comes be being photographed.

I would be curious though to know from the person who posted the 'rant' what her thoughts are on the multiple times each day she - or any of us - are caught in public (or on private corporate premises) on CCTV: does she imagine the intelligence services, the police, or other investigative agencies and authorities are going to advise her in advance that she is on camera? That her actions are being recorded potentially for later review, and depending on the circumstances, possibly by multiple agencies and organizations and even shared upon request with others? Or that they are going to ask her permission? Or tell her what they intend to do with those images? Is she even conscious of that fact every single person at that parade who marched by certain intersections, who used any ATM, or entered virtually any downtown building, was being photographed and/or having their actions and images recorded?

Victoria being a much smaller city is not the best example but in London the average citizen is caught on CCTV nearly 300x daily going about their business from morning to night. Attending a pride parade, or not, going topless or not, the suggestion that you have an expectation of 'privacy' in public spaces free from video, camera (and even audio) surveillance of varying degrees is specious at best, incredibly naive at worst.

• Nparker and Teardrop like this

#150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:15 AM

You can take a picture of a nude person on public property if you want.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 07:03 AM

If you don't like being photographed while partially nude in public, then don't BE partially nude in public.

#152 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 08:45 AM

Instead of 200 people fuming on Facebook, why didn't one person step up and suggest that wandering around nude at a family event might be inappropriate and would just empowers the haters? Is it because the leaders of our various community groups have become so spineless that they are afraid to stand up to the internal fringe who have absconded with their causes?

#153 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 08:57 AM

Is it because the leaders of our various community groups have become so spineless that they are afraid to stand up to the internal fringe who have absconded with their causes?

Yes.

It is.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2022 - 08:58 AM.

#154 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:44 AM

Instead of 200 people fuming on Facebook, why didn't one person step up and suggest that wandering around nude at a family event might be inappropriate and would just empowers the haters? Is it because the leaders of our various community groups have become so spineless that they are afraid to stand up to the internal fringe who have absconded with their causes?

They did - and he was crucified and buried under an avalanche of posts droning on about how '.....its all about being in a safe space, and about freedom from harassment, loving who we want to...' etc etc ad infinitum. IOW they really missed the point of the post and defaulted to the 'we're tired of being persecuted and judged by others'.

That is all well and good and no reasonable person disputes those points which are perfectly fine on their own - but if you decide to wander around nearly nude or half naked at a 'family friendly' public event you should not be at all surprised to be challenged particularly where parents with young children are concerned. Sure....do what you want with whomever you want as long as its consensual....but if you insist in exposing young kidlins to your shenanigans in a public setting expect that parents - who have every right as you to be in that place at that time - in particular may not be as enthused about your semi-nudity with a good portion of your junk hanging out, as you are.

As folks frequently and justifiably say to a hetero couple who insist on salivating all over and mauling each other in public - get a motel room! Personal 'rights' are one thing but with RIGHTS come responsibilities. Not to mention an expectation of being reasonable.....

• Nparker and LJ like this

#155 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:32 AM

What exactly makes a celebration of sexuality a “family friendly” event? Whether straight/gay/queer/whatever, I just don’t understand why people want to bring children to a celebration of sexual practices.

#156 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 11:33 AM

Some people get off on that.

Like some of the drag queens that insist on presenting “story hour” to particularly young children.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2022 - 11:37 AM.

#157 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:19 PM

What exactly makes a celebration of sexuality a “family friendly” event? Whether straight/gay/queer/whatever, I just don’t understand why people want to bring children to a celebration of sexual practices.

Clearly you didn't read their marketing material - from the Pride Society's own website '.....a queer-themed family friendly event...'

Are you implying that in spite of terms such as diverse and inclusive and 'family friendly' the onus is on (especially) parents with kids to *not* attend a public event held on public property built and maintained by taxpayer dollars? What if they aren't actually attending the parade itself, but need to go through or right by the area to get somewhere else? Doesn't sound very open or inclusive or respectful to me. Presumably these are among some of the very folks the LGBT community wants as allies and friends, so why go out of their way to alienate them?

Surely even participants in a 'celebration of sexual practices' can resist the urge to publicly bare all and go 'tarzan' in front of small children for a few short hours, still enjoy the celebration, meet their objectives and get their messaging across? 

• max.bravo likes this

#158 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,859 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:23 PM

Some can’t. The real perverse ones.

#159 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:26 PM

Surely even participants in a 'celebration of sexual practices' can resist the urge to publicly bare all and go 'tarzan' in front of small children for a few short hours, still enjoy the celebration, meet their objectives and get their messaging across?

Suggesting that a historically oppressed group should exercise self restraint is tantamount to an act of violence to the woke crowd. You bigot

🤡
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#160 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:50 PM

It stopped being an "inclusive" event when police officers were told they could not take part in the parade while in uniform. I will never attend again unless this policy is changed.

• AllseeingEye, Love the rock and FawltyVic like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users