CANCELLED
Sidney Crossing
Use: commercial
Address: 2165 Beacon Avenue West
Municipality: Sidney
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 1
Sidney Crossing was a 98,995 square foot commercial development proposed in the Town of Sidney on Victoria's S... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sidney Crossing on Citified.ca
Photo

[Sidney] Sidney Crossing | 98,995 sq. ft. shopping centre | Cancelled in 2018

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

With news about a major mall going up in Sidney, I can't see this one happening now.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

The location of the Sidney mall lends itself to catering to the local population only. For the majority of the CRD getting to and from would mean a 60-80 km trek in both directions. Costco from downtown, by comparison, is a 40km round trip.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:17 AM

It's 30 km to Sidney from downtown and 20km to Jesken. To me driving to Jesken vs Sidney makes little difference. And I can't see the market handling two big box malls 10km from each other with such a small population.
  • jonny likes this

#4 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

It's 30 km to Sidney from downtown and 20km to Jesken. To me driving to Jesken vs Sidney makes little difference. And I can't see the market handling two big box malls 10km from each other with such a small population.

Teh Sidney proposal isn't big box. It is anchored by a grocery store, more akin to Eagle Creek (which Omnicron is also developing)

• Nparker likes this

#5 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, I fail to see how the Sidney proposal changes anything. And beyond that, only a major tenant that does not exist in the core would draw people to either location. Costco or Ikea are the only ones I can think of. Costco would only draw some of them, others would continue to go to Langford for that.

The Sidney location would be crappy for a huge big box development. Jesken is better, though not perfect.

#6 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

Is this the 'major mall' you are referring to? http://cushwakeretai...andown-commons/

I would not consider this to be in competition with Costco.  The two would serve very different markets/purposes.

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

Is this the 'major mall' you are referring to? http://cushwakeretai...andown-commons/

I would not consider this to be in competition with Costco.  The two would serve very different markets/purposes.

Isn't that the development that fell through, thus making way for the Omnicron development at the airport?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

- Sandown is in North Saanich

- The airport proposal is on Federal airport lands

- the Jesken is on FN lands

Three different proposals, a lot of commercial for the sleepy peninsula!

Edited by Urbanistco, 05 August 2015 - 12:37 PM.

• Mixed365 likes this

#9 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

- Sandown is in North Saanich

- The airport proposal is on Federal airport lands

- the Jesken is on FN lands

Three different proposals, a lot of commercial for the sleepy peninsula!

Thanks for the clarification! I thought thats what is was, then I got turned around myself. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Lots in here on the Sidney Gateway project. To answer earlier questions, a future highway interchange at Beacon Avenue will be accommodated as part of this project.

One interesting point to note is the land is currently ALR designated, but Sidney actually envisions it for a commercial use as part of the OCP.

Sidney-Gateway-site-layout-August-2015.jpg

Real-estate is big business at Victoria International Airport

http://victoria.citi...tional-airport/

The 100,000 square foot, $30 million shopping centre will be developed in partnership with Omicron, a Vancouver-based real-estate development firm.

"Sidney's official community plan envisions a commercial use for that parcel of land, so really what we're doing is proposing a project that is in-keeping with the town's own plans supported by residents of the area," said Bogusz.

The VAA will be officially presenting its intentions to Sidney council on August 10th to seek support from elected officials for the concept and removal of the land from the agricultural land reserve. If received favourably, the next step will be a review by the Agricultural Land Commission in September. Pending successful reception there the VAA will apply for a rezoning, hold additional public consultation sessions, and eventually that may lead to project approvals some time in 2016. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

I think I will move into the area so that I can complain about the highway traffic and the noisy airport, but if the project gets held up with ALR issues a cattle farm would be okay with me. 

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

I don't think it'll get held up. The airport is federal land, so if Sidney causes angst in that regard, despite their own planning documents envisioning commercial use on that land (currently zoned residential for whatever reason) the VAA has other options available. Whether they would choose to exercise those options, that's another matter entirely.

Know it all.

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

i'd never heard of this project

Backers of the proposed 100,000-square-foot Sidney Gateway shopping centre expect to learn this month whether the $35-million project will get past square one.

A request to remove nearly 10 acres of agricultural land on Victoria International Airport property was submitted to the Agricultural Land Commission several weeks ago, with the decision expected soon, although no date has been provided, said James Bogusz, airport authority director of airside operations.

The proposed centre’s 10 buildings would take up 7.5 acres in the vicinity of the Pat Bay Highway, with the rest expected to be greenspace and re-routed roadways.

“We understand that they will review this in October,” said Bogusz.

The airport’s total land base is 1,098 acres. It is owned by the federal government and leased to the airport.

Assuming the commission approves removal of the land, Vancouver-based Omicron development services will undertake more public-information sessions and, when those are completed, apply to the Town of Sidney to amend its Official Community Plan and bylaws to allow the centre to go forward.

http://www.timescolo...idney-1.2078752

Edited by amor de cosmos, 07 October 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#14 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

I know Sidney has recently formed an economic revitalization committee. I think if this project goes ahead it will likely be the final nail in the coffin for Downtown Sidney.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

The locals don't care for the neighbourhood shops?

#16 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

I know Sidney has recently formed an economic revitalization committee. I think if this project goes ahead it will likely be the final nail in the coffin for Downtown Sidney.

That's unencessarily overdramatic.

• Nparker and nagel like this

#17 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

That's unencessarily overdramatic.

No kidding; the developer has already stated the intent for the new development is to complement the Sidney biz district - not compete with it. Besides, quite frankly "downtown" Sidney could use a tune up. This isn't 1971 anymore, its time for the little town "by the sea" to up its game. IMO one doesn't need to look hard to discover plenty of examples on the main drag that elicit little more than "meh" and a yawn. 

#18 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:04 PM

Downtown could definitely use a tune up. I question how a strip mall across the highway will "complement" the downtown rather than compete with it. The town should be doing everything in their power to direct investment into redeveloping the downtown instead of green field sites outside of it.

Edited by Fernwoodian, 07 October 2015 - 08:09 PM.

• Mixed365 likes this

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

Why, though? Downtown Sidney is autonomous, right, they have had time immemorial to spruce up their drag. They don't need council to protect them or encoyrage them to freshen their storefronts.

Council has no bisinesses protecting one business over another. That's not the job of an elected official.

Know it all.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

...Council has no businesses protecting one business over another. That's not the job of an elected official.

This. Government's only role should be to create a level and fair playing field.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users