CANCELLED
Sidney Crossing
Use: commercial
Address: 2165 Beacon Avenue West
Municipality: Sidney
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 1
Sidney Crossing was a 98,995 square foot commercial development proposed in the Town of Sidney on Victoria's S... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sidney Crossing on Citified.ca
Photo

[Sidney] Sidney Crossing | 98,995 sq. ft. shopping centre | Cancelled in 2018

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#21 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

^ Hey you're still alive, and just in time for the big meeting.

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

Sorry, what's the premise here? That folks in Sidney don't like the village atmosphere? They prefer strip malls? But Beacon Avenue has both, right?

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

If a 100,000 square foot shopping centre will destroy downtown Sidney, the shopping centre is the least of downtown Sidney's worries.

I went to Sidney a while back on a Sunday. I didn't realize much of the town took that day off.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:20 PM

Never said this was about protecting anyone's particular business. This is a land use decision and Council has every right to approve or reject it on a variety of grounds. Council can direct growth into specific areas over others.

And dont get me wrong, I would be overjoyed to see some of the existing strip malls along Beacon redeveloped.

#25 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:26 AM

How does the current layout of this development affect any future plans for an interchange at Beacon Ave?  I seem to recall some renderings somewhere, but am having trouble locating them now.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

It doesn't affect it in any way.

A future Sidney highway interchange at Beacon Avenue and the Pat Bay Highway will be accommodated, Bogusz confirmed, adding that whatever the VAA and Omicron develop will be in accordance with future highway improvement plans.

http://victoria.citi...tional-airport/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

Thanks Mike for the link to your article.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

No problem.

Know it all.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Sidney Gateway shopping centre proposal secures ALR exclusion

http://victoria.citi...-alr-exclusion/

Plans for a 100,000 square foot shopping centre along Beacon Avenue at Stirling Way in Sidney have taken a major step forward following a key decision by the Agricultural Land Commission.

In mid-2015 the Victoria Airport Authority (VAA), in partnership with land development firm Omicron, revealed their vision for Sidney Gateway, a significant retail development on the eastern edge of the Victoria International Airport's grounds. However, prior to the undertaking of formal municipal planning and community consultation the land had to be excluded from the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR). The decision was handed down on Monday, January 11. [Full article]

Know it all.

#30 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

Ugh, I think this is a terrible proposal. The land-use is totally auto-centric and will pull people from Sidney's downtown. There is no way to integrate it across Hwy 17.

• Fernwoodian likes this

#31 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:03 AM

Ugh, I think this is a terrible proposal. The land-use is totally auto-centric and will pull people from Sidney's downtown. There is no way to integrate it across Hwy 17.

We need to be realistic about sidneys downtown. Its fine for what it is and will continue to be fine. Its primary draw is an 'auto centric' grocery store and it will remain very busy im sure

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:55 AM

It's desperately needed. Right now many residents in Sidney/NSaan are forced to drive many miles to access a wider range of retail. One way or another vehicles are the primary form of transport.

Know it all.

#33 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

Should this be Eastern? Or North-Eastern to be specific.

Sidney Gateway shopping centre proposal secures ALR exclusion

http://victoria.citi...-alr-exclusion/

In mid-2015 the Victoria Airport Authority (VAA), in partnership with land development firm Omicron, revealed their vision for Sidney Gateway, a significant retail development on the western edge of the Victoria International Airport's grounds. However, prior to the undertaking of formal municipal planning and community consultation the land had to be excluded from the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR). The decision was handed down on Monday, January 11. [Full article]

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

Eastern edge! Thanks.

Know it all.

#35 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

The developer for the proposed $35-million Sidney Gateway shopping centre is paying for an independent evaluation of what impact its 100,000 square feet of commercial space could have on the town’s core.

Omicron says its proposal will attract shoppers who currently head to downtown Victoria or to the West Shore — and won’t undercut small businesses on Sidney’s main street.

But Sidney wanted a second opinion and Omicron obliged, said Mayor Steve Price.

He expects the evaluation, by Urbanics Consultants of Vancouver, to “answer a lot of the questions, one way or the other” that businesses, shoppers and council have about Gateway’s potential impact.

http://www.timescolo...inion-1.2196828

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

Hmmmmmmmm....

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#37 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

Whoever pays for the study can influence the scope and messaging to their benefit.

If it's coming from Omicron I expect it will support their position...

• nagel likes this

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

Developer unveils Sidney Gateway mix: grocery, pharmacy, appliances

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.QjWkflHK.dpuf

Clive Tanner, who owns two bookstores and two properties downtown, said he fears “a bloody disaster” if Gateway goes ahead. He cited 61 empty storefronts on first and second floors on Beacon Avenue, and five developments with commercial ground floors in the works.

“This is just the wrong time,” he said.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#39 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:25 AM

^Then maybe he should spend some money updating his existing properties to make them more attractive? Many time these empty offices and store fronts are simple because they are not Class A spaces with slum lords.
  • Nparker and jonny like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

Clive Tanner, who owns two bookstores and two properties downtown, said he fears “a bloody disaster” if Gateway goes ahead. He cited 61 empty storefronts on first and second floors on Beacon Avenue, and five developments with commercial ground floors in the works. “This is just the wrong time,” he said.

And why should he care if the Gateway development isn't successful? 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users