CANCELLED
Sidney Crossing
Use: commercial
Address: 2165 Beacon Avenue West
Municipality: Sidney
Region: Saanich Peninsula
Storeys: 1
Sidney Crossing was a 98,995 square foot commercial development proposed in the Town of Sidney on Victoria's S... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sidney Crossing on Citified.ca
Photo

[Sidney] Sidney Crossing | 98,995 sq. ft. shopping centre | Cancelled in 2018

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#81 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:11 AM

Endless consultation, continued erosion of property rights, indecisive civic leadership that's afraid to make a decision.

Par for the course around here.

• Nparker likes this

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

Endless consultation, continued erosion of property rights, indecisive civic leadership that's afraid to make a decision...

And let's not forget automatic NIMBY opposition.

#83 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

Interesting debate; frankly after a visit by Mrs ASE and me last fall - the first time browsing the main drag in Sidney in close to 5 years - I don't really understand the opposition to Gateway. Speaking only for myself I found "Main Street" Sidney somewhat dull and uninteresting - with only a few minor exceptions, unless you are really into books for example - and even frumpish in spots with the exception of the newer developments near the water where we did have a very nice lunch in one of the waterfront hotel-restaurants, the name of which however eludes me.

Otherwise I thought it was a quite unremarkable stretch and certainly not particularly worth driving 20+ kms in the future - unless of course there was something new and different to attract and hold my attention making it worth the time, effort and gas to get out there. Certainly if I was a Sidney or nearby peninsula resident I would be all over this development in support.....

There are a few good shops and some great places to eat on or around Beacon Ave (Treasure Island Collectibles, Janet's Special Teas, 3rd Street Cafe, Fish on Fifth, Bistro Suisse, Boondocks - my best guess is that you probably ate at either Beacon Landing or Haro's) but yeah..I agree with what you said for the rest.  Expensive Boutiques, bookstores, thrift stores, coffee shops and Capital Iron.  Side note: If you want a real treat, head up to the 'mall' above Odyssia...you'll feel like you've stepped back into the late 80's or even earlier, right down to the smell.

Shoppers, Home Hardware and the grocery stores are great to have...but, as i've said before, we need more affordable options.  I don't want to have to drive all the way into town to get a lunch bag again.

• Nparker likes this

#84 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

I'm in favour of forming a committee to study this issue. But first we must decide who should be on the committee. We should probably hold some hearings and study who should be on the commission to study the study.

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with just another haphazard study. Can't we organize a charette to identify what a study of the study should study?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

You speedsters want to skip right past the referendum stage?

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

This is quite the pedestrian overpass Omicron has proposed as part of the Sidney Gateway project.

Overpass.jpg

• 2F2R and RFS like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

Those overpasses are rarely used if the one at Mt Newton X Road is an indication.

I don't see people going to Gateway Village and then into the current part of Sidney to shop.

They will go to one or the other, and If I am going to Sidney for a cup of coffee it will be down to the waterfront.

#89 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

Depending on transit/densification it could be used a lot more in the future

#90 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:04 PM

Those overpasses are rarely used if the one at Mt Newton X Road is an indication.

I don't see people going to Gateway Village and then into the current part of Sidney to shop.

They will go to one or the other, and If I am going to Sidney for a cup of coffee it will be down to the waterfront.

This could be well used if they built it to connect better to the Lochside & Flight Path. Given that it won't (my prediction) or won't be built, you are correct.

#91 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:31 PM

Looks good, but it's not "out of the box" enough for me. Zipline, rope swing or slingshot would be fun here.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

Sidney is describing the overpass as a connector between the Lochside Trails and the Flight Path.

• thundergun likes this

Know it all.

#93 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Sidney is describing the overpass as a connector between the Lochside Trails and the Flight Path.

That overpass is much a good connector between the two trails as the overpass at McTavish is a good connector between the Lochside and Willingdon (not at all). Bike overpasses need to directly connect to the trails, not dump you out in a parking lot like the McTavish one does.

#94 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

That rendering certainly connects to Lochside, you can see that. I'm not sure about Flight Path though, that's a bit further away down Beacon as per the map: http://www.victoriaa...interactive-map.

The rendering has a scooter and a cyclist too.

#95 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:11 AM

That rendering certainly connects to Lochside, you can see that. I'm not sure about Flight Path though, that's a bit further away down Beacon as per the map: http://www.victoriaa...interactive-map.

The rendering has a scooter and a cyclist too.

If you stretched that rendering out it's probably a quarter of a mile, uphill both ways.

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

...The rendering has a scooter and a cyclist too.

If I am not mistaken, I think the rendering actually shows 3 scooters using the overpass. That's VERY Sidney-esque.

#97 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

If I am not mistaken, I think the rendering actually shows 3 scooters using the overpass. That's VERY Sidney-esque.

And the grade is too steep for cyclists.

#98 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, and 3 cyclists too.

#99 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

And the grade is too steep for cyclists.

Hard to say. But those 160 degree corners are a challenge for sure.

#100 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

Hard to say. But those 160 degree corners are a challenge for sure.

Are those 160 or 180 degrees. A tough turn for tandem bikes with trailers

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users