Westshore Parkway

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

TWO important road projects have been announced this morning.

A new McKenzie / TCH interchange ($85M project, with a $32M federal grant). AND extension of the Westshore Parkway in Langford ($7.4M federal grant) - this ties Trans Canada Highway to Highway #14.

nobody.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

Why would Saanich pay if it's not their project? Isn't this a provincial project?

Anyway, they also announced $22M for a Westshore Parkway Extension project connecting Highway 1 to Highway 12. Langford, the province and the feds are splitting the cost of this project.

Nothing is 100% obvious until they actually say how it is being paid for.

Langford is paying for most of the new parkway (22M), which certainly appears to be a brand new road a bit to the east of Humpback, that will join Sooke Hwy past Slegg, thus cutting off all the BS of the Langford part of that trip.  Prov and Feds only doing 7.5M each.

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

Nothing is 100% obvious until they actually say how it is being paid for.

Langford is paying for most of the new parkway (22M), which certainly appears to be a brand new road a bit to the east of Humpback, that will join Sooke Hwy past Slegg, thus cutting off all the BS of the Langford part of that trip.  Prov and Feds only doing 7.5M each.

I thought it was 22M for the entire project, which would make Langford's share 7M, no?

#4 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

I thought it was 22M for the entire project, which would make Langford's share 7M, no?

Sorry, you are correct.  3 hours sleep here...

Edited by nagel, 22 July 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#5 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Anyway, they also announced $22M for a Westshore Parkway Extension project connecting Highway 1 to Highway 12.

"Extension"!?!

How about we call it what it is: "completion", as in, "finish what was started". As in, "what was supposed to be done all along". As in...oh you get the idea.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

"Extension"!?!

How about we call it what it is: "completion", as in, "finish what was started". As in, "what was supposed to be done all along". As in...oh you get the idea.

You are not confusing this with Leigh Road are you?  Two different things.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

Westshore Parkway already exists, but it doesn't really go anywhere currently other than to Kettle Creek and a few stores.

This Westshore Parkway extension is going from the Harley dealer/Kettle Creek to Hwy 14 via I assume Humpback Road or somewhere near there.

#8 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

Probably, I don't know the area that well. I thought we were talking about filling in the gap between the two chunks of the existing "West Shore Parkway as indicated in my really quick crappy gif:

parkway.gif

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

no it appears to go to the left of that lake where irwin road is, all the way to the Sooke Hwy past Slegg

#10 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

For this new road to work efficiently - I would hope that the TCH would be four-lanes from Leigh Road out to the West Shore Parkway intersection. Traffic heading out of town already bottlenecks considerably at the Leigh Road merge point and the light at West Shore Parkway.

Shifting the Sooke bound traffic onto that portion of the TCH without widening it seems like a really bad idea to me - considering the traffic problems already there.

#11 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

For this new road to work efficiently - I would hope that the TCH would be four-lanes from Leigh Road out to the West Shore Parkway intersection. Traffic heading out of town already bottlenecks considerably at the Leigh Road merge point and the light at West Shore Parkway.

Shifting the Sooke bound traffic onto that portion of the TCH without widening it seems like a really bad idea to me - considering the traffic problems already there.

I can't see it being used much heading north from downtown.

#12 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

You can see the connection point where the two portions of existing westshore parkway will meet here :

https://www.google.c...2147f25c948e249

There's already a dirt road that leads to near Slegg, pretty sure that's going to be it.

Edited by insanelydeadlydisease, 23 July 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

I hope they join up, it seems pretty senseless to force all the folks from Kettle Creek to go out to the TCH to get into Langford.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:02 PM

The terminus of Westshore Parkway along HWY 14 and in Langford's Goldstream neighbourhood near Westshore Parkway's HWY 1 terminus as both appear today. 

Work is well underway on the HWY 14 end of the road.

Wetshore-Parkway.jpg

Segment 7

Westshore-Parkway-1.jpg

Segment 1

Westshore-Parkway-2.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:08 PM

Ah, the Citified Sonic.

#16 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

It's just too bad the leigh rd interchange wasn't connected to this via langford parkway. You could basically get rid of the light then.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

They'll eventually build an overpass there at some point. Agreed that it was a silly move promising the Leigh interchange only to stick a light a stone's throw away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

Turns out I was wrong . The connection is being made but it's going to take until 2018 because we need to accommodate the rail line that will sit dormant forever. Must keep that ghost line going just in case train travel goes back in style I guess. 

The route makes sense though. They're using the abandoned Fieldview Terrace. 

Edited by insanelydeadlydisease, 31 January 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#19 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

As per City of Langford transportation plan - they do refer to an eventual interchange at Trans-Canada Highway and West Shore Parkway

Attached Images

• westshoreparkway.PNG

#20 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

Turns out I was wrong . The connection is being made but it's going to take until 2018 because we need to accommodate the rail line that will sit dormant forever. Must keep that ghost line going just in case train travel goes back in style I guess. 

The route makes sense though. They're using the abandoned Fieldview Terrace. 

who told you that the rail line will remain dormant forever? 

Edited by UrbanRail, 04 February 2016 - 01:16 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users