Photo

Westshore Parkway

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

This SHOULD be a highway extension though. The reason it's 50 because like every other road project in Langford it's meant to further development not to help get people around any easier. This whole CRD mess is ridiculous. We shouldn't be thinking about transportation in terms of individual municipalities and we should be designing cities for this century, not the previous one.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#42 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

This whole CRD mess is ridiculous. We shouldn't be thinking about transportation in terms of individual municipalities and we should be designing cities for this century, not the previous one.

Thats the problem with 13 individual municipalities. Why would Esquimalt offer up its few reserves to pay for a highway extension in the Westshore? This is part of the reason why I am hugely into the amalgamation game. I dont think that 1 municipality would be the solution, likely three. Westshore, Victoria and Peninsula. That would increase tax bases, and ensure a much easier contiguous regional transportation plan.

Im also quite unsure how popular this Parkway will be (speed limit aside). I dont see there being much of a savings in time, especially given the current traffic levels on the 1 south. Perhaps it is geared to those travelling on the 1 north?

• Nparker and On the Level like this

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Thats the problem with 13 individual municipalities. Why would Esquimalt offer up its few reserves to pay for a highway extension in the Westshore? 

That's what I've always said about commuter rail.  What's in it for Esquimalt and View Royal having 25 trains blow through every morning and evening?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 September 2017 - 08:29 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

The vehicle lanes could have been wider as the truck in the video was over into the bike lane on the curves a few times.

Indeed. And the too narrow bike lane means that pretty much nobody is going to want to ride this (high speed traffic right next to me, no thanks). Crap like this gives bike lanes a bad name

#45 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

That's what I've always said about commuter rail.  What's in it for Esquimalt and View Royal having 25 trains blow through every morning and evening?

You get a bunch of gas spewing cars and trucks off of their roads.

#46 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

Have you driven through parts of Esquimalt or View Royal during rush hour?  Good luck getting out to pick up the kids from school or go grocery shopping without it being half an hour to an hour.  

You can pretend the Colwood crawl only impacts people living out in the Westshore, but at least when they are past the traffic jam, their neighbourhoods are fairly free of traffic.  They only need to get through it.  Parts of Victoria, Esquimalt, Saanich and View Royal live in it.  Seems to me they have just as much to benefit if not more.  They just don't seem to have realized it yet.

• Bingo likes this

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

I dunno. When I went to school parents pickimg up or dropping off was a very very rare sight.
  • Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

...When I went to school parents picking up or dropping off was a very, very rare sight.

True, but a single horse & buggy could pick-up and drop-off all the young'uns at the one room school pretty quickly.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#49 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

I dunno. When I went to school parents pickimg up or dropping off was a very very rare sight.

So was getting out your driveway I suppose.

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

I rode my bike to school for years, no helmets back then...and didn't need to lock it up.

Most families only had one car it wasn't used for taking kids to and from school.

#51 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

I rode my bike to school for years, no helmets back then...and didn't need to lock it up.

Most families only had one car it wasn't used for taking kids to and from school.

You guys fit perfectly into the "living in the past" Victoria mindset! There were no problems fifty years ago so there's obviously no problem now.  ;)

#52 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

You guys fit perfectly into the "living in the past" Victoria mindset! There were no problems fifty years ago so there's obviously no problem now.  ;)

To be honest, part of the problem is the present.  Reducing flow thorough "traffic calming" on the "Old Island Highway".  Trying to prevent the island corridor from being used as it might annoy some along the route of the train that existed before they purchased their home?

I don't think I am overstating the fact that almost all our transportation woes are self inflicted.  NIMBYism.....ideology of the two extremes.....right and left....both irresponsible.  

Edited by On the Level, 30 September 2017 - 08:48 PM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#53 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Duplicate

Edited by On the Level, 30 September 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:20 PM

There were no problems fifty years ago so there's obviously no problem now.  ;)

A whippersnapper...eh!

#55 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

To be honest, part of the problem is the present.  Reducing flow thorough "traffic calming" on the "Old Island Highway".  Trying to prevent the island corridor from being used as it might annoy some along the route of the train that existed before they purchased their home?

I don't think I am overstating the fact that almost all our transportation woes are self inflicted.  NIMBYism.....ideology of the two extremes.....right and left....both irresponsible.  

Yes, traffic calming on a HIGHWAY seems quite asinine. What is the point of a highway? To move people, in their cars, as quickly and effectively as possible.

That being said, some NIMBYism could be overcome by having fewer municipalities. Sure, people would still have their points of view but, as with perhaps the train, having to convince Langford, Colwood, View Royal, Esquimalt and Victoria that they should agree on, and fund something is markedly more difficult than convincing a theoretical Westshore and Victoria.

In terms of this parkway, it seems to be conceived well, but poorly followed through. Narrow lanes, sure. Narrow bike lanes? Ridiculous. But I am sure that the entire stretch adheres to the minimum dimensions required. I personally would have tried to make it straighter than it currently is, and make it easier for trucking traffic to traverse (wider lanes).

There seems to be a strange idea throughout the entire CRD that all new roads should only be two lanes, even those meant to be high traffic areas. Im an Ontario boy, and when new, high flow, roads are constructed, they are four lanes. It might not be necessary initially, but in the long run it saves money and reduces congestion. Lots of planners here seem to lack the knowledge that going from 2 lanes to 4 lanes doubles capacity. We dont live in Nova Scotia, we are growing, annually, at a large pace. Our future proofing needs to be fully reworked.

• rjag likes this

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

We are building a bridge that's 3 lanes for some reason. Same size as the 95 year old one we are replacing.
  • Nparker likes this

#57 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

We are building a bridge that's 3 lanes for some reason. Same size as the 95 year old one we are replacing.

Three lanes, so that there is still space for bike lanes on both sides in conjunction with the bike lanes on the pathways.

I did never understand that. 2 lanes into Vic West, down to one, then back to two. but then again, one lane from Vic West, to 4 lanes in Vic... A slightly confusing traffic pattern to say the least.

I would have thought (from all the stuff Ive heard about Langford) that the Parkway would have made with some sense.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:02 AM

The Parkway opens at 11am tomorrow.

• qwerty likes this

#59 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

From Vic News:

https://www.vicnews....nesday-morning/

The City of Langford’s largest infrastrucutre grant project is nearly complete.

After roughly two years, the last segment of the Westshore Parkway project officially opens to traffic Wednesday (Oct. 4) after 11 a.m.

“We’re pretty excited. It’s a big project for our staff and everyone who worked on it,” said Michelle Mahovlich, director of engineering with the City of Langford.

The final section crosses the railway tracks and offers a connection between Kettle Lake Drive south to Langford Parkway.

There are no signal lights on the Westshore Parkway and it is instead entirely roundabout controlled for the smooth movement of traffic and involves less stopping, which reduces the amount of greenhouse gases emitted, said Mahovlich.

It also includes landscaping, solar-powered pedestrian crossings and provides connectivity for cyclist and pedestrians to get to and from the YMCA-YWCA location in Westhills, Belmont Secondary and the City Centre Park’s recreation facilities.

RELATEDMiddle section of Westshore Parkway opens to traffic 10 a.m. Wednesday

In August, the middle section of the road, connecting Westhills with Sooke Road, near Salem Road, was opened.

The entire 3.5-kilometre roadway gives drivers the ability to travel from Trans-Canada Highway south to Sooke Road, providing a key north/south connection for residents in the region.

“It’s going to improve overall traffic flow because it will split the traffic loading away from Jacklin Road, Veterans Memorial Parkway and divide it up a little better,” Mahovlich said.

“It’ll give another access from the Trans-Canada Highway and also the residents that live between the railroad tracks and the highway, it gives them a direct access to the core of Langford.”

RELATEDWest Shore Parkway to open this fall

The roughly $22.5 million Westshore Parkway project, which began in 2015, was completed in nine segments and funded through a New Building Canada Infrastructure grant.

The federal and provincial governments each contributed up to $7.4 million to the project through the small communities fund, while the City is responsible for any remaining costs.

Remaining funds will be used to build the city’s sewage lift station, which is expected to be complete by March 2019.

Since the connection is complete, the existing rail crossing at Humpback Road will officially close on Friday, Oct. 20 at 9 a.m., as part of an agreement with the Island Corridor Foundation.

Mahovlich said since the middle section was opened, many drivers have used the road, but it may take a while for people to realize the entire section is now open.

She reminded drivers that those entering the roundabout should yield to traffic already in the circle.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

Since the connection is complete, the existing rail crossing at Humpback Road will officially close on Friday, Oct. 20 at 9 a.m., as part of an agreement with the Island Corridor Foundation.

What does that mean?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users