Fol Epi | Victoria | 700-block Yates & Harbour Road

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

Fol Epi will open in the Era building in late October.

11800462_1025247124161626_17933784452282

• Nparker, Matt R., jonny and 2 others like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

It is a good place but it is seriously over priced. Oh well.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:20 AM

It does cost more but I'd say the quality is far higher than nearly every other bakery in town.

It's not a cheap process when you grind your own wheat on site every single day, instead of taking your flour from a bag from Costco.

• Matt R., Mr Cook Street and Mixed365 like this

#4 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

Great news! Considering how busy they always are, clearly a good number of people don't find it overpriced.

VHF, do you know which/how much space they'll be taking up?

#5 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Looks like they are taking the entire space fronted by the heritage facade and the alley.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

Looks like they are taking the entire space fronted by the heritage facade and the alley.

Wonder if the brick oven is going to generate complaints from the residents above.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

Great news! Considering how busy they always are, clearly a good number of people don't find it overpriced.

VHF, do you know which/how much space they'll be taking up?

I don't, but next time I'm by I'll try to find out, if there is anyone working.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

Will be more of a deli/cafe/bakery than a straight up bakery.  No silos, lots more meat options... wait and see, you're gonna be surprised.  Nothing half assed about it.

Fol Epi is all organic too, that **** ain't cheap to buy.  Top drawer product, prices to match.  Nobody's getting rich unfortunately, but he does pay well I am told.

Matt.

• Mr Cook Street and Mixed365 like this

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

It's so very rudimentary/preliminary, this will not be done until late October, or more likely Nov/Dec.

#10 eyeonvictoria

eyeonvictoria
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

Looking forward to this new location.

Parking is impossible at their present spot

Fol Epi is by far the best bakery in town

Price is no problem when you get quality + the staff are actually trained and friendly (what a concept)

• Marilyn and Matt R. like this

#11 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

It's open! I went there the first day, Thursday last week just after they fixed the water main which broke after their 1st hour. It was packed with people. Returned this morning around 11 am. It was not a good time since the dining area was closed for lunch guests and the café area was packed. I will try it tomorrow early in the am. They open at 7:30, close at 6:00 pm. Their lunch menu is not online but I think they will stick to a similar menu as Fol Epi in Vic West with the addition of a charcutiere. The food is excellent, baked goods and pastries: try the Sacher torte or the apple strudel made with a crust similar to croissants. It's a great location and a good respite from the noise and construction on Yates above Blanchard.

Edited by Marilyn, 25 November 2015 - 07:07 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#12 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

Went by there close to 10pm last night and the restaurant attached or next door to Fol Epi (not sure which) in the lane area was open and busy. Not sure what the deal is here - anyone have a better understanding?

#13 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

There was some special function; only know this because my husband tried to go after work for drinks/appies but they were obviously just selling off their current stuff and setting up for an event.

Must be yummy, my husband has gone three times in the last five or six days for lunch!

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

Yes they seemed to have named the restaurant, with the side entry different from the front entry. It's the same operation just different outward faces I guess.

#15 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:43 PM

Only 2 baguettes left at 2pm when I walked in today to check it out. I forgot how good the baguettes are!

#16 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

Yeah... I stopped by on my way home from work the other day to pick something up for home. Completely cleaned out.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#17 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:11 AM

Any idea how much of their baking they can do at the Yates location? Or is most of the baking still done with the old oven at Dockside?

#18 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:25 AM

Any idea how much of their baking they can do at the Yates location? Or is most of the baking still done with the old oven at Dockside?

They seem to have a massive kitchen area (something like 1/2 their square footage, I'd guess), so I'd say they can produce a lot of food.

#19 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

They had ads out looking for pastry chefs and bread bakers at their new location, so I'd say they bake most or all of what they offer on site.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:13 AM

I was just there. I had a delicious pain au chocolat avec un cafe Americano. I saw at least a dozen or so pastries and other tasty bites that I will have to go back and try.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users