Photo

Bylaws and restrictions

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

Two buildings on our priority list specify one pet that can be carried. So no 140lb bellowing hounds. Price point eliminates toddlers in many cases.

#22 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

Aren't there buildings that are theoretically 18+? Not sure if it is enforceable but I have seen that.

Sure isn't enforceable if you have a kid after you bought.

Pets are really only a problem if you have inconsiderate pet owners or they make excessive noise. Both of which can be dealt with via fines. I think some sort of limit on number of pets makes sense but otherwise I don't see the problem.

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

Aren't there buildings that are theoretically 18+?   Not sure if it is enforceable but I have seen that.

Mine is 16+.  Very strange.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

Pets are really only a problem if you have inconsiderate pet owners or they make excessive noise. Both of which can be dealt with via fines. I think some sort of limit on number of pets makes sense but otherwise I don't see the problem.

The proposal to deal with pets by dealing with the problems rather than an outright ban went over like a lead balloon here. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

Pets are really only a problem if you have inconsiderate pet owners or they make excessive noise....

The same goes for children with inconsiderate parents. Have as many offspring as the Duggars, I don't care; just keep them quiet.

#26 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

The same goes for children with inconsiderate parents. Have as many offspring as the Duggars, I don't care; just keep them quiet.

ha ha ha....  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=44&v=acWdh0a_92A

#27 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

I tend to find small dogs more annoying than big dogs in a condo. They tend to yap more and run around more. My rented condo has minor pet restrictions, related to size of dog and max number of 2 pets per unit.

Re age limits, my sister lives in a 19+ building that requires you to sell and move if you have a child. Within 1 year. I still don't think that is legal.
  • akimbo likes this

#28 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

They'd have to get a judge to foreclose on you. I think there is 0% chance that would happen.

#29 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

I tend to find small dogs more annoying than big dogs in a condo. They tend to yap more and run around more. My rented condo has minor pet restrictions, related to size of dog and max number of 2 pets per unit.

Re age limits, my sister lives in a 19+ building that requires you to sell and move if you have a child. Within 1 year. I still don't think that is legal.

I'd almost want to move into one of those buildings and have a kid just to take them down in court.

• jonny and nagel like this

#30 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

Why just not buy in a non-age restricted building if you are thinking about starting a family? Doesn't seem like a complicated concept to me.

Would I ever buy in an age restricted building?  Absolutely not.

Do I understand the concept?  Yes.  If you are in your 60-80s living in some crappy 1970s condo, with poor insulation, wood framed building, with health problems or similar it wouldn't be too much fun to have two kids jumping up and down above you.

• akimbo likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#31 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

There so many subtle ways to discriminate in real estate it isn't even funny. 

For example, don't want to deal with kids in your basement suite? Throw in a shower (no tub), problem solved.

Etc., etc.

Edited by MarkoJ, 16 August 2015 - 11:34 AM.

• Nparker and akimbo like this

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

I was at a party last night and asked a popular Realtor there if she had come across anyone asking specifically for a non-pet building - only once in her (long) career... 

We've struck a small committee to review our bylaws.  It's a fruitless endeavour having people who have bought into and subscribe to a set of bylaws to review them with any hopes of improvement.  I'm learning quite quickly that it's very difficult for people to separate their personal preferences from objective thinking. 

#33 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

I've seen the occasional building (one in James Bay in particular) go from no pets to pets allowed with an associated improvement in market value.

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

I've seen the occasional building (one in James Bay in particular) go from no pets to pets allowed with an associated improvement in market value.

I hate to keep harping on this, but do you have an idea of the value increase? 

#35 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

Mine is 16+.  Very strange.

So what if your wife got knocked up and you had a child? What would be the recourse?

#36 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

Why just not buy in a non-age restricted building if you are thinking about starting a family? Doesn't seem like a complicated concept to me.

Continuing on the Luis CK theme..

Of course it makes no sense to buy into a building if you are planning on having kids.

But maybe you could buy a condo at a lower price due to the age restriction, then have a kid, take them to court and get the restriction removed.  Values go up, sell your place and move :)

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

....But maybe you could buy a condo at a lower price due to the age restriction, then have a kid, take them to court and get the restriction removed...

Unless you were awarded legal costs, it's doubtful you'd come out ahead financially by doing this. Also, while the matter dragged on through the courts your home life would likely become quite miserable. I am not sure it would be worth putting one's family through this just to fight a principle.

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

So what if your wife got knocked up and you had a child? What would be the recourse?

I suppose one option would be to petition the owners and get enough support for a bylaw change.  Because strata bylaws have to be enforced in order to remain effective, you can't simply ask for the bylaw to be ignored in your particular case. 

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,167 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

Couldn't the strata fine you and put a lien on your home if you don't pay the fines?

If I moved into a building with specific rules that played a huge part in me buying that home, then all of a sudden a neighbour decides to defy those rules because they feel entitled, I'd be pretty peeved and so would the rest of the owners.

Some people just like to make a mess of things wherever they go. It's their way or everyone suffers by the hell they'll unleash. Our courts are full of entitled individuals who feel that they have to prove something to the world or their bruised ego must be coddled through legal means.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

....Our courts are full of entitled individuals who feel that they have to prove something to the world or their bruised ego must be coddled through legal means.

This was more-or-less to what I was alluding above.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users