Bylaws and restrictions

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

^ I lived in a subdivision where there was a covenant regarding roofing, but it only lasted for 10 years. Nobody had replaced their roof in that time.

Same thing happened at Dean Park.  They dropped restrictions when it was time for them all to replace.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

We're renting a condo in a building that restricts the kind of window covers you can have (only blinds in white or off-white, with slats of a specific width). I assumed it was something to do with temperature control in the summer, but my partner argues it's probably for aesthetic purposes. Is this a common rule? Does anyone know the logic behind it?

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

We're renting a condo in a building that restricts the kind of window covers you can have (only blinds in white or off-white, with slats of a specific width). I assumed it was something to do with temperature control in the summer, but my partner argues it's probably for aesthetic purposes. Is this a common rule? Does anyone know the logic behind it?

Aesthetic from outside.  Absolutely.

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

We're renting a condo in a building that restricts the kind of window covers you can have (only blinds in white or off-white, with slats of a specific width)... Is this a common rule? Does anyone know the logic behind it?

Yes, I think it's pretty common and a rule I support. It's quite shocking what people will hang in their windows if no restrictions are in place. If you want wild patterns or garish colours in your home, hang your curtains over top of the blinds and "problem" solved.

• jonny likes this

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Yup. A disclosure statement I'm currently pouring over stipulates all window coverings must be uniform and any additional window coverings must be totally obstructed by the uniform blinds when viewing the building from the outside, no exceptions.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

Yes, it happens in condos, strictly for aesthetic purposes. Some units have a bit more flexibility built in, e.g. must be white or off white but not of a particular dimension. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Ya if you want black out curtains simply install them on the inside.
  • Nparker and pikabu like this

#68 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

You mean you guys don't like when residents opt for the aluminum foil grow op look? 

• Mike K. and shoeflack like this

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

You mean you guys don't like when residents opt for the aluminum foil grow op look? 

A neighbour in my condo (a short term renter, fortunately) did that not so long ago. She claimed it was to keep the sun out of the southwest facing bedroom into which she had placed her 2 noisy toddlers. She was a bit of a crackpot but I don't think she was actually running a grow op. If she was, she certainly wasn't sampling any of her product since she was incredibly high strung and agitated whenever I saw her. Mellow was not her middle name.

#70 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

For some reason "grow op" is always what comes to mind when I see aluminum foil covered windows....I am sure there are legitimate reasons for totally blacking out your living space with a super ghetto approach...

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

Well, tin foil works and is pretty inexpensive. Thus its use I guess.

#72 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

It also keeps the aliens (and/or NSA) from intercepting your brain waves.

• VicHockeyFan, jonny and johnk like this

#73 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

It also keeps the aliens (and/or NSA) from intercepting your brain waves.

Will it keep out microwaves though ?

• shoeflack likes this

#74 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Yup. A disclosure statement I'm currently pouring over stipulates all window coverings must be uniform and any additional window coverings must be totally obstructed by the uniform blinds when viewing the building from the outside, no exceptions.

That's a good sign that some loonies run the show.

• http likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

At this building? I think that's pretty standard BC strata wording. This is a pre-sale disclosure statement, the loonies haven't yet moved in  :cheers:

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#76 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

We are in the primary stages of looking for a condo/townhouse. There is such a variety of age restrictions. Found an acceptable place except the age restriction was that all residing there had to be 50+ (we are in our 60's and a 30 yr old son lives with us).  Then found another ok place that accepts residents 13+. There is some interesting logic regarding age and pets out there.

Not ready to buy yet, but I am really dreading the day we sell our house and have a time crunch in finding a place that accepts 2 cats and residents 30+. Here's hoping the stars align when the time comes!

Think of it this way.  The restrictions increase the property value*.  You're saving money by not buying in there.

*if the crazy people in my building are to be believed...

• Bingo and pikabu like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#77 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

At this building? I think that's pretty standard BC strata wording. This is a pre-sale disclosure statement, the loonies haven't yet moved in  :cheers:

Wording like that will attract the loonies :)  I dunno.  I can see specifications like "drapes must be light or cream coloured" to help ward off the tie-dye blankets, but going so far as to nearly specify a particular Ruffell and Brown style number seems a little much.

#78 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

I think the window coverings restriction is pretty standard. There are also usually stipulations like you can't hang your tightie whities on the balcony to dry and you can't affix things to the exterior of the building. 

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

I think the window coverings restriction is pretty standard. There are also usually stipulations like you can't hang your tightie whities on the balcony to dry and you can't affix things to the exterior of the building. 

All of which are quite reasonable. If people do not like the restrictions that come from strata ownership there is a very simple solution: do not buy into a strata property.

#80 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

I think window covering restrictions are reasonable as well, but why should I care if someone has 2" white wood slats and someone else has 3/4" white metal slats?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users