Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

#921 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

It would take me 10 years to break even on fuel prices with the Leaf. 

Yup you have to be a high mileage driver to extract true value out of them. Awesome for cabs etc but for grandpa putting 5k per year, he's better off in a corolla. The only perceived value is virtue signalling.

Marko I'm sure does a lot of distance so his savings will be real

#922 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Hey, I commented here before I know a guy that works nights in downtown, he has an electric car.  Free parkade parking, free charger each night.  Then he drives home to Metchosin.  He pays for no fuel tax, or fuel, or downtown parking!

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#923 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

Let’s get more modern than that. They should pay by the km.

Folks who drive a lot would argue that they get more experience and actually have less accidents per km driven than low km drivers (I suspect they are right anyways).

(I'm a low km driver, putting in maybe 12k annually).

A full overhaul is going to be needed to deal with driverless cars anyways, so hopefully ICBC deals with both EV and driverless, as well as all the other myriad issues they ahve soon.

#924 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Hey, I commented here before I know a guy that works nights in downtown, he has an electric car.  Free parkade parking, free charger each night.  Then he drives home to Metchosin.  He pays for no fuel tax, or fuel, or downtown parking!

He does get two-tiered by Hydro though as a nice penalty for following government's environmental goals.

Happens to me too.  I'd probably be better off if I stopped using my brand-new electric heat pump and just used NG for heat.  6 people in the house, Hydro DGAF.

#925 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

A full overhaul is going to be needed to deal with driverless cars anyways, so hopefully ICBC deals with both EV and driverless, as well as all the other myriad issues they ahve soon.

As fast as they have dealt with uber?

• thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#926 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:04 AM

Is Uber ICBC's problem or the province?  That's a big failure for sure... the taxi lobby has too much power here.

#927 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

Let’s get more modern than that. They should pay by the km.

In a way we do with the categories of use - please, driving to work/school less than 15km, more than 15km, business use, etc, etc.  They are grouped based on mileage

He does get two-tiered by Hydro though as a nice penalty for following government's environmental goals.

Happens to me too.  I'd probably be better off if I stopped using my brand-new electric heat pump and just used NG for heat.  6 people in the house, Hydro DGAF.

I have the same thing, 2 brand new electric heat pumps.  I had to go electric as Fortis was going to charge me 20k to run gas to my house.  I had 2 options - oil or electric heat pump so guess what I chose.  My electric bill in winter is around $450 per month.  Thanks BC Hydro!

#928 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

Do you do level billing?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#929 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

^do you mean spreading out the averages over the year?  no

#930 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

It would take me 10 years to break even on fuel prices with the Leaf. 

Not in the used market.   The break even is about a year or two depending on what exact cars you are comparing.   With financing break even could be immediate.   

Edited by LeoVictoria, 28 February 2018 - 03:20 PM.

#931 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

Unfortunately, there's no break even point for how dorky those things look. 

• lanforod likes this

#932 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

What do you mean?

Leaf2.jpg

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#933 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

^ that's even worse than dorky.

• sebberry and Matt R. like this

#934 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

Are you guys on drugs or something?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#935 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

Unfortunately, there's no break even point for how dorky those things look. 

Agreed that right now the only ones available for a reasonable price are the dorky looking ones.   However this is a solved issue.  None of the current gen EVs are dorky looking anymore.  

Ioniq, SoulEV, GolfEV, FocusEV, new Leaf, Model 3, Bolt, all look completely ordinary or better.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 28 February 2018 - 04:20 PM.

#936 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

Are you guys on drugs or something?

that car does look super dorky, it looks like a reject from an 80s movie

#937 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

A very few stations went to 149.x yesterday, none followed, so they have dropped back to 145.x today.

#938 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

Weird hey? I’m fairly sure it was the Shells. Went up to 149.1.

Know it all.

#939 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:18 PM

One in Sidney. A couple in Langford. And Chevron Hillside/Quadra.

#940 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

The 2 c/l gas tax increase here and the increase carbon tax should have kicked in yesterday too.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users