Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

#1001 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

The price of oil has crashed to 2016 levels, but Alberta’s opposition is promoting a 10% production cut in order to raise the price of oil for Canadians.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1002 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

Prices have dropped to $1.289.

125.9 at Costco

#1003 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

The price of oil has crashed to 2016 levels, but Alberta’s opposition is promoting a 10% production cut in order to raise the price of oil for Canadians.

yup Western Canadian Select down to $11.56 per barrel down $0.82 today.  The break even cost to produce is around $40

#1004 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:52 PM

I'm sure Carole James will jack those prices up before too long

#1005 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:56 PM

It's so weird how all those things like reduced production, or tight supply, or whatever other bullshit they come up with the justify jacking the price up to 1.50+ only happens in the summer... but some how never seems to happen in the winter when the prices dip (but rarely below where they were the year before).

Fuel sold in the summer is actually a different product than fuel sold in the winter. A different (more expensive) blend of additives is used in the summer to reduce air polution (it lingers more in warm air).

Additionaly, summer hurricanes on the gulf coast effect supply.

https://auto.howstuf...summer-fuel.htm

Edited by Mattjvd, 28 November 2018 - 10:57 PM.

#1006 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:51 AM

yup Western Canadian Select down to $11.56 per barrel down $0.82 today.  The break even cost to produce is around $40

Its now in free fall, down another 11% this morning to $10.29.  I wouldn't want to be living in Alberta now or anytime soon

#1007 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

...Additionaly, summer hurricanes on the gulf coast effect supply...

Hurricane season is late in the summer. Why should this have an impact on local fuel supply from June-August?

#1008 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:06 AM

Hurricane season is late in the summer. Why should this have an impact on local fuel supply from June-August?

Increased prices in early summer to stifle demand and stockpile fuel to sell in August-September when gulf coast refineries are not operating.

#1009 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:06 AM

I don't think a lot of British Columbians angry at the significantly higher gas prices we pay (compared to literally every other province) are making the connection between supply, refining capacity, fuel taxes, carbon taxes, transit taxes and the eventual price at the pump.

The same people vehemently opposed to the pipeline, but supportive of the NDP's higher taxation, appear most frustrated with the cost of gas.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1010 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

The same people vehemently opposed to the pipeline, but supportive of the NDP's higher taxation, appear most frustrated with the cost of gas.

Disagree. I'm opposed to the pipeline, supportive of the higher taxation in order to fund things like transit and encourage conservation, and believe that higher gas prices encourage people to think twice about taking transit, carpooling, or not taking as many trips.

I drive to Tofino quite a bit less than I used to as a direct result of higher gas prices.

High gas prices change behaviour. Europe is a great example.

• gstc84, nagel and LeoVictoria like this

#1011 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:44 PM

Disagree. I'm opposed to the pipeline, supportive of the higher taxation in order to fund things like transit and encourage conservation, and believe that higher gas prices encourage people to think twice about taking transit, carpooling, or not taking as many trips.

I drive to Tofino quite a bit less than I used to as a direct result of higher gas prices.

High gas prices change behaviour. Europe is a great example.

God why don't we all just leap off a tall building while we are at it

#1012 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:51 PM

Higher gas prices haven't changed my behavior one bit.
  • Midnightly likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1013 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:35 AM

I'm with Vortoozoo for the most part too. I am a big fan of carbon taxes when done right and they do change behavior. We just need more of that tax money going into improved transit.
  • Bernard, vortoozo and nagel like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1014 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

I've got some really bad news for you if you think a few pennies more per dollar will revolutionize transit. Taxation is a death through a thousand cuts. A few pennies here, a few pennies there, and all that's achieved is maintenance of the status quo. In fact our public infrastructure has never been in such a state of disrepair or under-development yet our taxes are higher today than they have ever been.

• VIResident likes this

Know it all.

#1015 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

I've got some really bad news for you if you think a few pennies more per dollar will revolutionize transit. Taxation is a death through a thousand cuts. A few pennies here, a few pennies there, and all that's achieved is maintenance of the status quo. In fact our public infrastructure has never been in such a state of disrepair or under-development yet our taxes are higher today than they have ever been.

If you're looking at transit in particular, that's simply not true. Annual transit hours have steadily been increasing in the last five years, with more busses on more routes. And much of the funding increase is directly coming from carbon/gas taxes. Passenger trips per service hour have also remained roughly static, meaning that every new service hour is attracting new passengers. Service hours per capita have increased.

#1016 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

Only 9.3% of funding is via the gas tax.

Don't be fooled by rising operating hours and the number of routes, look at the cost to deliver those services and compare them to the increase in services. BC Transit's operational costs have risen faster than BC Transit's service increases. Meanwhile the system is still the least used form of transport in the region with only 6.5% of trips as of the 2015/2016 year.

Know it all.

#1017 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:57 PM

No free lunch.  You want to spend more on infrastructure you either borrow the money or raise it via taxes.   

#1018 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:19 PM

And therein lies the problem. There are too many free lunches across all levels of government these days.

The French have something to say about that, apparently.

• rjag and Wayne like this

Know it all.

#1019 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

I am a big fan of carbon taxes when done right and they do change behavior.

Where and when?

#1020 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

Where and when?

And we agree Bob... all this is only changing the patterns of poor people. The ones with big old trucks and SUVs aren't changing a single thing with these carbon taxes, They only affect the poor. They don't affect me and I am no where near rich.
  • jonny likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users