Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#1081 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

The carbon tax will rise from 7.78 cents to 8.95 cents per litre on April 1st. The tax has risen in excess of 25% under the NDP over a period of a year, from 6.67 in 2017 to nearly nine cents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1082 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

Good. Unlike some jurisdictions that are sitting on their thumbs and avoiding any unpopular decisions to help turn around the climate disaster, we're being leaders.

Greta would be proud.

https://www.theguard...es-future-video

• LeoVictoria likes this

#1083 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:56 AM

Good. Unlike some jurisdictions that are sitting on their thumbs and avoiding any unpopular decisions to help turn around the climate disaster, we're being leaders.

Greta would be proud.

https://www.theguard...es-future-video

Imagine actually believing this  :lol:

#1084 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

Imagine not believing it.

While I don't suggest that a carbon tax will solve all of our issues, it does make people second guess using as much of the resource as they have been.

Should I take that trip to Tofino I was thinking about? Well, gas is pretty high so maybe I'll do something else instead.

#1085 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

I'd like to see some hard data on the impact rising fuel prices have on people's driving habits.

#1086 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:16 PM

Doesn't affect me at all.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1087 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

It literally might affect me in the sense that I'll move somewhere with cheaper gas.  Wouldn't make me drive less

• sebberry likes this

#1088 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:19 PM

Doesn't affect me at all.

It doesn't affect me in so much as I am not a vehicle owner, but since I rely on the transportation of goods to local merchants I can only assume increased fuel prices will be passed onto me as a consumer.

• sebberry likes this

#1089 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

I'd like to see some hard data on the impact rising fuel prices have on people's driving habits.

Here's some stuff I found with a quick search, albeit older. I'm sure there's more.

https://newrepublic....nsumer-behavior

This one seems to conclude that if people expect prices to drop in the short term, it will affect the way they drive, but not their vehicle purchase decisions. It does not consider what happens when prices are expected to increase permanently (eg a carbon tax): https://thenewswheel...or-buying-cars/   

There are some good tidbits in here too: https://www.arb.ca.g...price_brief.pdf

One can also look at Europe vs. North America and look at the differences in consumer behavior when faced with long term higher gas prices. Fuel efficient vehicles are much more common there.

#1090 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

It doesn't affect me in so much as I am not a vehicle owner, but since I rely on the transportation of goods to local merchants I can only assume increased fuel prices will be passed onto me as a consumer.

Sure, but they're being returned to you in other ways.

It has been proven that taxpayers are ending up ahead due to BC's carbon tax: https://www.theglobe...rticle19512237/

Here are some relevant quotes from the (2014) review of BC's carbon tax:

The result is that taxpayers are coming out ahead. B.C. now has the lowest personal income tax rate in Canada (with additional cuts benefiting low-income and rural residents) and one of the lowest corporate rates in North America.

At the same time, it's been extraordinarily effective in tackling the root cause of carbon pollution: the burning of fossil fuels. Since the tax came in, fuel use in B.C. has dropped by 16 per cent; in the rest of Canada, it's risen by 3 per cent (counting all fuels covered by the tax).

Here's an article from the New York Times examining the impact of BC's carbon tax in 2016: https://www.nytimes....-columbia.html 

Edited by vortoozo, 21 March 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#1091 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

I guess I was hoping to see some more localized data.

#1092 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

Sure, but they're being returned to you in other ways.....

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#1093 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Personal & corporate taxes have been reduced in BC as a direct impact of introducing the carbon tax. That's fact.

#1094 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

Personal & corporate taxes have been reduced in BC as a direct impact of introducing the carbon tax. That's fact.

So how come I am not seeing any more money on my take home pay? And things definitely cost more in the grocery stores.

#1095 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

One can also look at Europe vs. North America and look at the differences in consumer behavior when faced with long term higher gas prices. Fuel efficient vehicles are much more common there.

It’s not quite that simple.

Many European jurisdictions have insurance rates tied to engine capacity so, so fuel efficiency is not the only driving factor behind vehicle choice, and many urban areas will not handle larger vehicles due to tight roadways.

Those smaller engines, on the other hand, tend to fail much earlier and new vehicles are purchased at a higher rate, negating any environmental benefits someone would have realized by driving a smaller vehicle.

Of course the other pickle in the Europe-is-so-Green debate is the continent’s ultra cheap air travel industry. Europeans are more likely to fly cross continent on a regular basis, far more often than Canadians would, and they’ll do so for frivolous reasons due to the ultra low cost environment.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1096 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

It’s not quite that simple.

Many European jurisdictions have insurance rates tied to engine capacity so, so fuel efficiency is not the only driving factor behind vehicle choice, and many urban areas will not handle larger vehicles due to tight roadways.

Those smaller engines, on the other hand, tend to fail much earlier and new vehicles are purchased at a higher rate, negating any environmental benefits someone would have realized by driving a smaller vehicle.

Of course the other pickle in the Europe-is-so-Green debate is the continent’s ultra cheap air travel industry. Europeans are more likely to fly cross continent on a regular basis, far more often than Canadians would, and they’ll do so for frivolous reasons due to the ultra low cost environment.

Putting aside the airline thing for now - because you're right - it's not great - let's look at some numbers.

Average age of passenger vehicles in Canada was 9.7 years in 2017 - stat from: https://autoconnex.ca/

Average age of passenger vehicles in Europe was 10.7 around the same period - stat from: http://www.aut.fi/en...opean_countries

So it doesn't appear that vehicles are being purchased more frequently in Europe. In fact, it seems to be the other way around.

#1097 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

The average is 12.88 for Canada and 15.36 for the US according to this piece from the TO Star - https://www.thestar....technology.html

But that aside, Canada would have an even higher retention rate if vehicles didn't decompose after about a decade of heavy winter driving. The US, with its milder climate zones, has a nearly 50% higher retention rate than does Europe (which is the fairer comparison as Europe has both very warm and very cold zones) but the US has more weather extremes than does Europe (from Canadian-like winters to tropic-like areas). The US also tends to have larger vehicles which can handle higher mileage/wear and tear.

Know it all.

#1098 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

It's a fact that Horgan removed the revenue neutrality aspect of the carbon tax, so when the carbon tax goes up, it's a net tax increase to 100% of British Columbians. 

• LJ and sebberry like this

#1099 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, removing revenue neutrality exposed the tax for what it was intended for.

Know it all.

#1100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

It's a fact that Horgan removed the revenue neutrality aspect of the carbon tax, so when the carbon tax goes up, it's a net tax increase to 100% of British Columbians. 

whether it was ever revenue neutral or not in the past nobody believed it anyway.  so it's not surprising that aspect has been dropped in favour of finding some other project for the increased cash.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 March 2019 - 02:51 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users