• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#1101 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

Imagine not believing it.

While I don't suggest that a carbon tax will solve all of our issues, it does make people second guess using as much of the resource as they have been.

Should I take that trip to Tofino I was thinking about? Well, gas is pretty high so maybe I'll do something else instead.

Right so you used a trip to Tofino being nixed because of high cost of transportation.  So, the community, jobs, businesses in Tofino take the hit.  Have I got that right?

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 2 others like this

#1102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,324 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:02 PM

Right so you used a trip to Tofino being nixed because of high cost of transportation.  So, the community, jobs, businesses in Tofino take the hit.  Have I got that right?

well you might say he uses that money instead of in tofino here in sooke or port renfrew.  and a tofino resident also scraps a trip to kelowna and spends money instead in ucluelet.

• vortoozo likes this

#1103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

... and a tofino resident also scraps a trip to kelowna and spends money instead in ucluelet.

What about Ucluelet would attract Tofino residents? Seeing the surf from a slightly different vantage point?

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

do willows beach residents never visit island view?

#1105 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,863 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

Another cost passed on to consumers. A quick look showed we paid about $1800 in motor fuel and carbon tax on our propane for cooking fuel in the last 12 months. We’re due for another round of price increase anyways, minimum wage is going up again this spring and the dairy board will probably kick it up a notch again too.

Matt.

#1106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:28 PM

I'm not sure there's much of an economic impact whether they do or do not.

#1107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

...A quick look showed we paid about $1800 in motor fuel and carbon tax on our propane for cooking fuel in the last 12 months...

But I am sure you feel good about how your carbon tax contributions are saving the planet. That sort of virtue signalling is hard to quantify.

#1108 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,863 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:31 PM

I sure do!

Matt.

#1109 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:12 PM

Why yes they do, but they do that regardless. It is not considered a trip.

So people should now limit themselves to horse and buggy day excursions?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1110 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

Is there anyone that disagrees that reducing fossil fuel use is a bad long term strategy?

#1111 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

great strategy. everyone interested can start yesterday. those opposed can keep driving.

#1112 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

Is there anyone that disagrees that reducing fossil fuel use is a bad long term strategy?

I think that has been chosen as the evil begin all end all.

Just like orges, this situation has layers and needs a broader discussion. Not just "cars bad, me crush now" mentality's
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1113 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:18 PM

Imagine not believing it.

While I don't suggest that a carbon tax will solve all of our issues, it does make people second guess using as much of the resource as they have been.

Should I take that trip to Tofino I was thinking about? Well, gas is pretty high so maybe I'll do something else instead.

Sure, let's all sit around and not drive to the beautiful destinations we're trying to save through the carbon tax. 

Canada's entire carbon emissions add up to about 2% globally.  The carbon tax in BC does precisely nothing* to impact global emissions. 

*vhf stat

• jonny and sdwright.vic like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1114 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:24 PM

Let's be realistic about *where* these reductions are needed.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1115 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

Sure, let's all sit around and not drive to the beautiful destinations we're trying to save through the carbon tax.

Canada's entire carbon emissions add up to about 2% globally. The carbon tax in BC does precisely nothing* to impact global emissions.

*vhf stat

Back to the favourite VV argument I see. Canada has a small population so it doesn’t matter what we do.

Other things we could get on board with:

1. Canada has a small population so we should reintroduce CFCs in our fridges to save a couple bucks. The ozone hole won’t notice.
2. Instead of recycling Victoria should burn all recyclables in a big bonfire. It will make no noticeable difference to the planet.
3. Tomorrow I will take a crap directly on the street. One persons **** isn’t gonna make a difference.

Of course in reality it takes everyone to pitch in to enact change. No single group is big enough to do it themselves. It doesn’t work if India and China don’t do it too, but they certainly won’t do anything if they see everyone else slacking.

Good news: electric vehicle takeover of the market will make this discussion of gas prices irrelevant within about a decade.
  • Rob Randall and vortoozo like this

#1116 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

1. Canada has a small population so we should reintroduce CFCs in our fridges to save a couple bucks. The ozone hole won’t notice.
2. Instead of recycling Victoria should burn all recyclables in a big bonfire. It will make no noticeable difference to the planet.
3. Tomorrow I will take a crap directly on the street. One persons **** isn’t gonna make a difference.

1) Removal and agreement to remove CFC's... eh? That affected who, how?

2) You can recycle without much thought and little "inconvenience", and in some cases recycling pays you!

3) The only people crapping in the street are the homeless people, and you can't say anything about that.

Your examples are exploitive and over the type examples.

#1117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

It doesn’t work if India and China don’t do it too, but they certainly won’t do anything if they see everyone else slacking.

That’s worked out reeeeeeeeaaaaal well on the human rights front, hasn’t it?
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1118 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

1) Removal and agreement to remove CFC's... eh? That affected who, how?

2) You can recycle without much thought and little "inconvenience", and in some cases recycling pays you!

3) The only people crapping in the street are the homeless people, and you can't say anything about that.

Your examples are exploitive and over the type examples.

Missing the point.  The point is we dump our trash in the ocean.   Would it significantly impact the planet?  Nope.   Should we therefore do it?   Also nope.   Therefore the argument that our individual impact is small therefore we should not try to do anything is invalid.

#1119 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:25 PM

That’s worked out reeeeeeeeaaaaal well on the human rights front, hasn’t it?

Actually yeah it has.   

#1120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:04 AM

I guess a re-education camp is preferable to an internment camp.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users