Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2163 replies to this topic

#1141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

That’s right, more freedom, more opportunities to experience the beauty of our Island.

The ultra-rich folks don’t even bother driving to Tofino. They fly in.
  • sebberry and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1142 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

But the statscan figures show that the percentage of income spent on transportation rises the more income you have.

You asked to show the carbon tax affects the poor in a negative manner. I showed two different examples of this. One even from a fairly liberal publication that stated the poor should recieve government subsidies somehow to make up for it.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1143 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

And therein lies the problem. People are much more motivated to change their behaviour when they are incentivized to do so. In this case, the incentive is saving money on gas as a result of an increasing carbon tax.

Why isn't BC Hydro incentivising me then. The more electricity I use the higher the rate goes. They should be encouraging me to use more electricity not less.

They should be encouraging you to take out your gas furnace, hot water tank, stove etc. and change over to electric. Not gonna happen when they just want to charge me a higher rate for more consumption.

• sdwright.vic and satellite like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1144 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:44 PM

Instead they incentivise you to use less. $50 a year if you use 10% less than the year before.
  • jonny likes this

#1145 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

and with two step pricing they punish you for heating your home with electricity 

#1146 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:59 PM

And therein lies the problem. People are much more motivated to change their behaviour when they are incentivized to do so. In this case, the incentive is saving money on gas as a result of an increasing carbon tax.

What I pay at the pump is only a part of my total carbon tax burden. 

I'll be paying about $6 in carbon tax per fill up after the April 1 increase, so say $12-18/mo in carbon tax at the pump.  By itself that might not be a significant amount, but again, the pump is only one of many places one pays this silly tax.

Think for a minute.  Cable TV service - do I really need those three nature channels I rarely watch?  I could save $10 a month right there.  That messaging package on my cell phone I don't really use?  There's another 10/mo.  I can switch from Shaw to TekSavvy and save $20/mo on my internet.  Some LED bulbs will pay off in the long run.  A sweater is cheaper than baseboard heating.  

People make decisions all the time about how to save a few bucks a month.  Unfortunately the only way to save the $18/mo in carbon tax at the pump is to finance a Nissan Leaf to the tune of $600/mo.  The carbon tax isn't an incentive. It's punitive.  

• sdwright.vic and Midnightly like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:07 AM

Which takes us back to the EV subsidies in the name of environmentalism. The bigger benefit would be to help people move beyond old, tired and inefficient vehicles who currently are not in a financial position to do so, instead of incentivizing wealthy Canadians to buy an additional vehicle in the form of an EV (very, very few purchasers of an EV will rely solely on one vehicle in their household). What’s better for the environment? Getting a smokey Buick off the road, or putting yet another car in a driveway?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1148 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:24 AM

Then even if they made it easier for a person in a poor financial position to buy an EV, where would they charge it when at home? I don't see low rent buildings adding charging stations.

#1149 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:31 AM

there are so many reasons why making home charge stations mandatory is so wrong wasteful and backwards.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2019 - 06:31 AM.

#1150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:34 AM

It's the only way to maintain enough charging capacity considering how long it takes to charge even the most advanced EV with the fastest charger.

And why not have them at home? If the vehicle is just sitting there, it's weird for it not to be charging if it can be charging.

The bigger concern ought to be what effect these vehicles will have on the power grid in the dead of winter.

Know it all.

#1151 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

Funny that nighttime is when BC Hydro imports dirt cheap coal and nuclear power since it's difficult for Washington and Alberta to dial down a power plant when demand is low.

#1152 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:17 AM

Then even if they made it easier for a person in a poor financial position to buy an EV, where would they charge it when at home? I don't see low rent buildings adding charging stations.

The elephant in the room is how in the hell are people going to recharge electric cars in multi family buildings? The cost to put in chargers is outrageous, from what I have seen.

#1153 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:18 AM

Why isn't BC Hydro incentivising me then. The more electricity I use the higher the rate goes. They should be encouraging me to use more electricity not less.

The other elephant in the room is that electrical infrastructure is incredibly expensive. When our economy is "electrified", electricity will no longer be cheap.
  • sebberry likes this

#1154 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

The elephant in the room is how in the hell are people going to recharge electric cars in multi family buildings? The cost to put in chargers is outrageous, from what I have seen.

I am sure as hell not going to pay for someone else to charge their EV at my condo building. If EV owners want this they will need to pay the full installation and usage costs.

#1155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:25 AM

You should see the lashback when the issue of EV levies is raised. EV fans lose their minds when you point out the inevitable: when gasoline is no longer the dominant source of transport related taxation and carbon taxation, it will have to come from somewhere.

Government is already discussing the idea of taxing automation (hello autonomous vehicles?) as a means of generating income lost from income taxation.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.

#1156 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:29 AM

Government is already discussing the idea of taxing automation (hello autonomous vehicles?) as a means of generating income lost from income taxation.

To think otherwise  is foolish.  They'll have to double-up on automation taxation though - it's not just the lost income tax from the (now automated) workers, it's the welfare state that has to prop up the (now automated) workers who are unemployed.  

• jonny likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1157 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

It's the only way to maintain enough charging capacity considering how long it takes to charge even the most advanced EV with the fastest charger.

And why not have them at home? If the vehicle is just sitting there, it's weird for it not to be charging if it can be charging.

The bigger concern ought to be what effect these vehicles will have on the power grid in the dead of winter.

I don’t mean installing them at homes per se. I mean mandatory installation only to find none of them used. rough in fine. but don’t make people buy chargers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2019 - 08:53 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1158 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

I am sure as hell not going to pay for someone else to charge their EV at my condo building. If EV owners want this they will need to pay the full installation and usage costs.

It will be difficult to retrofit chargers into condo parkades as I’m sure this sentiment will be the consensus. In our building the developer installed two chargers during construction. They were dormant for 4 years until recently being activated. Use is by subscription for the flat rate of $20 per month initially, pretty good deal for EV owners. Those who do not own EVs pay nothing as it should be.
  • Nparker likes this

#1159 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:44 AM

I've had a Tesla four years and so many things have improved in those four years in terms of charging infrastructure.

You have a Model 3 with a range of 500 km and you have 16 superchargers at Uptown. Personally, I would be 100% confident living in a building without access to charging. Go to Uptown once a week for 60 minutes and you are good for the week.

I have 125,000 km on my car and I've had range anxiety literally once (I only have 370 km worth of range) as I didn't have enough time to supercharge trying to catch the last COHO ferry out of Port Angeles and I made it onto the COHO with 4% battery life. That problem is now solved as well as there is a new supercharger in Port Angeles as of last year.

Not to mention developers will start building smarter too. Even when they don't you still find solutions. At my condo in Croatia I just plug into the electric door opener socket and I get about 14 km/h.

When I buy something in Victoria in the pre-sale contract I just add that the developer will designate my parking spot next to an electrical plug and I get about 8 km/h. 

Croatia solution 

DSCF9839.jpg

Parking spot I had at Lyra in Victoria (at Encore my spot is also next to plug, same scenario).

GetMedia.jpg

Edited by MarkoJ, 23 March 2019 - 10:52 AM.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1160 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

So then your solution is to have everyone else pay for the charging of your car?
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users