Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

#1161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,518 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:37 AM

In some buildings the strays will assume the bylaws that EV’s charge as part of common property, and it will be up to individual stratas to switch the bylaws to a monthly fee. That’s if they’re not individual metered and padded to the actual user.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1162 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

....That’s if they’re not individual metered and padded to the actual user.

Individually metered is the only fair way to make this work.

#1163 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:01 PM

What does km/h mean in regards to electric vehicle charging?

If you think free mall charging is going to be available in 10 years, you're dreaming.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#1164 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Cost of charging my electric car for a year - $150 (We only drive about 10K a year)

Cost of running the 5 50W light bulbs in my elevator foyer for a year - $150 (times 19 floors)

Cost of 10 MR16 5W bulbs - $150 (for the really expensive ones)

The 50W foyer bulbs burnt out in about a year. I cried every time they replaced them with the same 50W bulb rather than a LED. After two years of suggesting strata finally did a building-wide replacement (when they could have been saving with single burnt out bulb LED replacements that would pay for themselves in about 4 months).

I joked that I would buy a case of 10 LEDs for the building and I would have easily paid for my electric car charging for the next 20 years.

In our building the cost of each unit of paying for my car's electricity would be under a loonie each.

Owner/tenants in buildings already pay costs for the collective good, regardless of usage (in our building, hot water, gym, amenity room, etc). The cost of this eco-friendly option isn't onerous.

$20 a month isn't really fair. In my case due to my driving habits it is above cost, while others who drive all day around town in a Tesla are getting a deal. Monitor usage to start and only begin charging when the costs are significant. Even then, it would be better to install a charger that recorded usage for individuals.

#1165 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

What does km/h mean in regards to electric vehicle charging?

If you think free mall charging is going to be available in 10 years, you're dreaming.

Free mall charging isn't particularly effective unless you're there for a long time. My car charges at about 40 kilometers each hour on a mall charger.

If I pick someone up at the airport and plug in there, a half hour on the charger while I'm waiting gives me about 20 kilometers. My one-way drive is longer than that.

#1166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

...it would be better to install a charger that recorded usage for individuals.

This.

#1167 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:15 PM

So then your solution is to have everyone else pay for the charging of your car?

Well yea, until there is enough will power to do something about it. 

My point is even in the current environment you can easily make an EV work in a building with some thought/planning but the environment for re-charge will only improve. Cars will have better range, there will be way more chargers, and the charging time will drop significantly. 

Yes km/h is the recharge rate. So if I get 8 km/h and I arrive at home at 9 pm and leave at 8 pm I would recharge 8 km x 11 which would be enough for most people.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1168 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

I forget from my brothers firm paid to install EV chargers in the underground of their office building including bringing in a massive new electrical service and transformer just to power them.  I want to say 20k per charger, but could be wrong (whatever the number was it was huge thou)

#1169 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:42 PM

As a strata owner I don't currently pay for the gasoline for my neighbour's internal combustion car. I can see no reason why I should pay for the "fuel" for their electric vehicle.

• sebberry likes this

#1170 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:51 PM

Something, something, morals...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

Something, something, morals...

Genesis 4:9

• Mike K. likes this

#1172 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

Genesis 4:9

Luke 6:38

• Mike K. likes this

#1173 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

As a strata owner I don't currently pay for the gasoline for my neighbour's internal combustion car. I can see no reason why I should pay for the "fuel" for their electric vehicle.

The entire concept of strata is not fair. I have a 430 sq/ft unit at the Promontory I've rented before to a young couple. Who is going to be using the front desk concierge person, amenity room, gym, elevators, throwing out more garbage, etc. more the young couple or the single retired person in a 1,200 sq/ft unit paying three times the strata fees?

I wouldn't lose sleep if 136 units at the Encore had to absorb my $20 per month in hydro consumption from a common plug and worse case scenario, I would gladly pay $50 per month need be if I thought it was such a huge moral dilemma, but I don't find it to be. 

Edited by MarkoJ, 23 March 2019 - 09:35 PM.

#1174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:46 PM

....I wouldn't lose sleep if 136 units at the Encore had to absorb my $20 per month in hydro consumption from a common plug and worse case scenario, I would gladly pay $50 per month need be if I thought it was such a huge moral dilemma, but I don't find it to be. 

It's not a matter of a shared amenity or even the cost of that amenity; it's the fact that it's unprecedented for a strata to pay for the fuel for someone's vehicle. Maybe I'll bill my strata the cost of a monthly bus pass.

#1175 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

^^then offer to pay the $50 a month.

*morals

Edited by sdwright.vic, 23 March 2019 - 09:57 PM.

#1176 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:59 PM

oh wait... right ©realtor has more rights then normal folk

#1177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,518 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:00 AM

Ok, folks, let’s be respectful.

If a strata provides a service to its residents, and it’s available to all who may wish to use it, so be it. Many stratas offer services and amenities that will never be used by all residents, maybe not even most residents, but they’re there. It all evens out in the end.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:03 AM

also the “strata” are the collective owners. they make the rules by voting.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 07:03 AM.

#1179 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

^^then offer to pay the $50 a month.

*morals

I'll also call my municipality and note that I want to pay because I feel bad about the free charging stations which are paid by taxpayer money. 

I'll also call up the BC government and ask to return the $5,000 cheque they sent me when I bought my Tesla because I didn't really need it. Maybe I'll also add how I can't sleep at night because I am not paying the carbon tax at the pump.

If the strata wants to charge me, they can charge me. I don't see a bylaw that says I am not allowed to plug into a plug that is next to my stall.

Edited by MarkoJ, 24 March 2019 - 07:32 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,518 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:25 AM

Yeah, it’s such small potatoes that administering the actual levy would likely be more costly than the income it generates.

It’s even too expensive to incorporate a pay terminal at these chargers as the monthly terminal fee, the technology and security implications would be daunting for the few vehicles making use of the chargers.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users