Photo

Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

#1181 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

I would agree it does seem like nickle and diming.  Why should I pay the transit levy when I don't take the bus, why should someone pay school taxes when they don't have kids, last month the guy in 709 threw out 7 bags of garbage while I only had 2, etc, etc, etc

#1182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:26 AM

If anything, having access to a charger or two increases the value of all homes and makes each resale far more marketable than comparable units in buildings that don’t have them.

For all we know, having said chargers could be a $5000 perk at the point of resale and maybe even more.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1183 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

I think new condo developments should give serious consideration to designing chargers in to the parkade plans. The take rate of EVs will only increase each year, and better charge infrastructure will accelerate the adoption of EVs. Initially I thought our condo developer installing 2 chargers was forward thinking, but soon it will prove inadequate. Right now our $20 / month plan for use already has its limitations, bookings can be maximum 4 hours only, after which technically the vehicle can be towed. (The 2 spots double as visitor parking). In a 90 unit building 2 chargers won’t provide many charge opportunities when more Owners have EVs. As usual new technology and the proper administration of same will throw fits to many a strata council.

Edited by DavidC, 24 March 2019 - 11:56 AM.

#1184 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

of all places to wire in later isn’t a concrete parkade nearly the easiest? wiring can be exposed etc.

#1185 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

The wiring is likely much less an issue than the existing service supply the development has.
  • jonny likes this

#1186 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

The wiring is likely much less an issue than the existing service supply the development has.

if generally - and of course there are exceptions - the chargers run late at night can't the existing supply handle it?  or if they could only turn on after midnight and until 6am etc.

but if it can't isn't the fix just to grab more supply from the street main?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 12:32 PM.

#1187 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

That’s getting into crazy expensive territory. The permitting alone will be a nightmare.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1188 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

I’m not so sure. what do these things draw amp wise? the system could easily be set to only work within existing limits. it’s not like all 90 stalls in a 130 suite building must all be charging every day or night.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 12:48 PM.

#1189 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:51 PM

That’s exactly what they do, they charge when they’re parked. Most would be plugged in at 530PM when people flood back home from work.

There’s a never ending anxiety that if you don’t charge at every opportunity you might end up with a dead battery, unless you drive a Tesla.

Know it all.

#1190 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

That’s exactly what they do, they charge when they’re parked. Most would be plugged in at 530PM when people flood back home from work.

ya so you have the system set up so you simply can't charge at 5:30pm.  not until midnight.  a smart-timer.  it's not rocket science.

we have an "electronic" way to deal with this.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 01:06 PM.

#1191 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:02 PM

Right. Apparently it's not so simple and putting in a bunch of dedicated car chargers will push most existing buildings over the capacity of their electrical services. Or so I've been told by our property manager. It's easy to see this sort of endeavor getting into six figure territory cost wise real quick.

#1192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

ya so you have the system set up so you simply can't charge at 5:30pm. not until midnight. a smart-timer. it's not rocket science.

Oh Lordy. That would make me mighty upset when I need an eight hour charge before I leave for work at 6AM.

Know it all.

#1193 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:07 PM

Oh Lordy. That would make me mighty upset when I need an eight hour charge before I leave for work at 6AM.

your choice is that system or your own $55,000 charger.  your choice 100%.

it's also perfectly reasonable to expect a system that can also let you charge at 1pm on a saturday in june.  the system simply has to have an electronic knock-off when the building main needs more supply. this stuff is electronics 101 now in 2019. we even have simple technology to attach it to your own suite's draw. your choice the car charger or your clothes dryer but not both.

finally if electric cars do become so prevalent as you suggest and all 130 suites have one you can also bet 3/4 of workplace parking has them and 1/2 of mall parking has them too.  so a great number of people will not even need to charge at home.    

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#1194 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

I think the choice would be to vote you off the strata council :)
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1195 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:19 PM

if you let the free market flourish things tend to work out nicely. who would not go to the tim hortons that offers 30 minutes of free fast charging when there?  attend the church with charging? go to the restaurant or bar or rec centre or sporting event with charging? attend marriage counseling with free charging?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2019 - 01:21 PM.

#1196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

That’s the thing. Ev’s can’t exist in a free market.

Know it all.

#1197 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

If the strata wants to charge me, they can charge me. I don't see a bylaw that says I am not allowed to plug into a plug that is next to my stall.

How happy would you be when you came out in the morning to drive away and find someone had unplugged your car and ran an extension cord to his car two stalls over?

• sdwright.vic likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1198 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

usually this stuff works out.

#1199 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:53 PM

B.C. government to consider 'relief' for record gas prices: Horgan

"We'll see how it goes through the summer and if there's an opportunity to have the province step in and help, we'll do that. But at this point, I'm hopeful there will be some correlation between the commodity price and retail price. Those are issues that are market driven and out of my control," he said."

https://www.timescol...rgan-1.23781241

#1200 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:25 PM

Lolololollll

To have the province step in.

What a crock o shite.

Step in and what??? Build a pipeline? Nationalize gasoline? Subsidize fuel?
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users