Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

#1601 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

Ah, ok. So that makes sense. I think someone played a joke and reported a fake price.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1602 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

Let's wait for rjag's report though. They didn't have a price up on their road sign, but I didn't check the pump price. I also drove by at like 9:00 PM so could have just been an after hours thing.

GasBuddy users are more loyal than VVers...pretty rare someone puts up a fake price there.

• rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

#1603 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:27 AM

The thing about gas prices is if you list for less then what the supplier requires, your deliveries are cut and you get penalized. That’s why independent stations are usually only a hair lower, if at all, than the big brands.

Costco has clout so its a different ballgame with them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1604 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:09 PM

GasBuddy users are more loyal than VVers...pretty rare someone puts up a fake price there.

:farmer:

#1605 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:12 PM

Let's wait for rjag's report though. They didn't have a price up on their road sign, but I didn't check the pump price. I also drove by at like 9:00 PM so could have just been an after hours thing.

Just drove through. They dont have the price posted on their sign but its $1.029 at the pump

• shoeflack likes this

#1606 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:47 PM

Aha! So someone was playing tricks. Thank you for verifying.

Can someone with a Gasbuddy account update it? We're in a crisis here.

Know it all.

#1607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:53 AM

Sounds like talks between Russia and Opec aimed at stemming the flow of oil have broken down and futures are expected to crash on Monday. Oil saw a resurgence in value after Trump asked the two parties to figure out their differences.

Know it all.

#1608 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:13 PM

Another milestone here in Richmond... we've dipped to 89.9, but only the Petro Can at the airport

#1609 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:27 PM

As I catch up on some business paperwork, it finally dawned on me how little income both the provincial and federal governments are going to be taking in the next few months, while they spend even more. I'm a not very big business, and I usually submit a couple of thousand dollars in sales taxes each month. 

• rjag likes this

#1610 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:47 PM

Sales tax. Income tax. Property transfer tax. They are all spiralling down.

#1611 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

And as many businesses are going to fail, how much tax will get diverted to trying to prop up the business? At a time like this, when so many are going to fail, I can see some choosing to keep the taxes they are supposed to be submitting. Normally governments are not amused when business does not submit the tax we collect on their behalf and are pretty strong willed at getting what is due to them. It is there money after all. Maybe that is where all the new employment will come  from - tax collectors?

#1612 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

It will be interesting how all 3 levels of Govt adapt to the new reality. I think Muni's are going to be hardest hit because they have limited means of revenues. 

All that Hotel Tax, Small Bus tax etc. Going to be a hard year for charities looking for grants as well

#1613 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

We immediately cancelled our EHT and PST payments, and obviously our remittances are way down. :)

Matt.

#1614 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:33 PM

It will be interesting how all 3 levels of Govt adapt to the new reality. I think Muni's are going to be hardest hit because they have limited means of revenues. 

All that Hotel Tax, Small Bus tax etc. Going to be a hard year for charities looking for grants as well

i'm not sure i follow.

the hotel tax is supposed to go to the destination marketing organization.

and i'm unclear what the small business tax is.  they get a bit of money from annual business licensing ($100 per business?) and another bit of cash for licensed seats in pubs.  not sure if there is much else.

they still get most from property tax.

#1615 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:53 PM

i'm not sure i follow.

the hotel tax is supposed to go to the destination marketing organization.

and i'm unclear what the small business tax is.  they get a bit of money from annual business licensing ($100 per business?) and another bit of cash for licensed seats in pubs.  not sure if there is much else.

they still get most from property tax.

Yup, sorry That part funds Tourism Victoria but dont they also run the conference centre for CoV?

Heres a link to where CoV funding comes from...page 84 & 106

https://www.victoria... Plan 2019e.pdf

Nearly $9 million from gas tax and traffic fine revenue alone. 

Edited by rjag, 07 April 2020 - 08:54 PM.

#1616 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:41 AM

and 19 million from parking.

#1617 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:52 AM

The BC Utilities Commission has launched a new gas price tracking website. This is an outcome of its inquiry into the industry. The website is part GasBuddy, part more info on taxes, etc.

https://www.gaspricesbc.ca/

#1618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:56 AM

Where do you access current gas prices?

Know it all.

#1619 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:14 AM

It's a city average, I think.

Find it at BC Fuel Info > Price Factors > choose the relevant dashboard.

Retail margin in Victoria in 2020 is $0.13/L, up from a steady $0.09-0.10/L in 2016-2019. (Dashboard 2)

#1620 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:14 AM

Where do you access current gas prices?

Try this website

https://www.gasbuddy...ritish Columbia

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users