2164 replies to this topic

#1881 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2022 - 09:17 PM

It's not just taking the bus, though.

High fuel prices cause people to think about biking, use more fuel-efficient vehicles, and drive more economically.

Since we passed the psychological $2 barrier I am now driving the limit instead of 10k over. Uses less fuel. And without the carbon tax we wouldn't be over $2, so it's absolutely contributing to a reduction in my fuel consumption.

Nobody is going to ditch a car that's paid off and take on payments on something a little more fuel efficient.  Even with the prices the way they are, and the fact my car requires premium, payments on an electric car are still considerably higher.  I'll just suck it up I guess as I am one of the few at work who can't 'work from home'

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1882 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 09:59 PM

Nobody is going to ditch a car that's paid off and take on payments on something a little more fuel efficient.  Even with the prices the way they are, and the fact my car requires premium, payments on an electric car are still considerably higher.  I'll just suck it up I guess as I am one of the few at work who can't 'work from home'

No, of course not, but if you're a two car family you might use the more fuel efficient car more often when prices are high, etc.

• Matt R. likes this

#1883 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 10:33 PM

^ I drove my wife’s hybrid to work a few days this week and left the van at home. 30 km round trip and a couple little jaunts into town, zero gas burned. I’ll definitely be taking her car when possible. Filled up the van last night at 1.95, she filled up her car tonight at $2.08!

Curious to see what propane does this week as well as fuel surcharges from our various suppliers, all costs passed directly to my customers. On another note, I recosted my menus over the last week or so, sent the price increases no changes off to the printer, and got the proofs back Monday morning. Monday afternoon I did some ordering and noticed kennebec potatoes up nearly 50% since last Thursday. I hadn’t even read the proofs before upping prices again on a couple items. Wow! I have no doubt we’ll be doing this again before summer.
  • Ismo07 likes this

#1884 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 02:22 AM

^ ^ ^ ^ don’t think that’s necessarily how economics works. If you have a fleet of trucks or buses or offices to hear you cannot immediately react to a large price change. But you can and will react to a change in your monthly or annual budget even if it’s a smaller increase.

Look at taxis or public transit fleets for example. They cannot by law raise fares often or without permission. So operating costs might not make them change habits, except less idling, until they go to buy the next vehicle. Then they will carefully factor in fuel price in determining their next model.

Same for, say, truck fleets working on long-term hauling contracts. Or any other private or public vehicle fleets, like police cars or equipment service vehicles or trades like plumbers or electricians.

Apart from a necessary work commute (that can sometimes be replaced by public transit or car-pooling) consumers do usually have some flexibility in how often they drive or what they drive.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 March 2022 - 02:32 AM.

#1885 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 04:01 AM

The increase will have a profound effect on the finances of BJ Roberts, who has driven taxi cabs for the last 40 years.

“It’s the small guys at the bottom that get hurts the most,” said Roberts, who drives for Victoria Taxi. “I know what’s going on and I fully support the people of Ukraine. But it’s a crazy merry-go-round with prices constantly going up.”

He called on B.C. Premier John Horgan to follow Alberta Premier Jason Kennedy’s example in removing the provincial fuel tax to provide temporary relief for struggling consumers.

Roberts estimates he now pays approximately $33 for the 300 kilometres a week he drives, a sum that has doubled since last year.

https://www.timescol...-prices-5140340

$33 a week. That guy must specialize in short fares.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 March 2022 - 04:01 AM.

#1886 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 07:25 AM

https://www.cheknews...-island-973947/

The only question now is how high could it go?

Meredith says much more, three to four dollars a litre.

“Look around the world,” he said. “Lots of other people have been happily paying that for quite a long time.”

I don't know if happy would be the correct term...

• Nparker likes this

#1887 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 07:27 AM

Lots of other people don’t live in oil producing countries.

We seem to be the only country that hasn’t figured out how to sufficiently supply its own domestic market with its own crude.
  • Nparker, LJ, Matt R. and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1888 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:22 AM

The increase will have a profound effect on the finances of BJ Roberts, who has driven taxi cabs for the last 40 years.

“It’s the small guys at the bottom that get hurts the most,” said Roberts, who drives for Victoria Taxi. “I know what’s going on and I fully support the people of Ukraine. But it’s a crazy merry-go-round with prices constantly going up.”

He called on B.C. Premier John Horgan to follow Alberta Premier Jason Kennedy’s example in removing the provincial fuel tax to provide temporary relief for struggling consumers.

Roberts estimates he now pays approximately $33 for the 300 kilometres a week he drives, a sum that has doubled since last year.

https://www.timescol...-prices-5140340

$33 a week. That guy must specialize in short fares.

Yeah, I had to scratch my head at this. He probably drives a Prius, but 300 km/wk seems really low for a taxi. Many commuters do a couple hundred a week.

#1889 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:24 AM

If we were paying in US dollars and US gallons, our fuel rate would be $6.50 per gallon.

Our friends down in Port Angeles and area are paying between $4.30 and $4.80 per gallon right now.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1890 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 11:15 AM

The carbon tax has zero effect on demand by design, which is why it’s so effective. Successful taxes don’t stop use, they piggy back on use at a rate where people don’t like it, but pay it.

We now see that the carbon tax is a cash grab. If you want use to be reduced, you have to raise gasoline prices by 60 cents in the span of a week, not one cent per year.

What is the cash grab for?  Does the government keep it as a secret stash?  Prices go up, you use the service or you don't...  I wouldn't say gas prices going up have zero effect on demand.  Would be cool to see litres bought per week in the region through the last 16 weeks...  It'll go up due to summer naturally...

• rjag and Brayvehart like this

#1891 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 11:36 AM

General revenues.

Know it all.

#1892 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:20 PM

Now, as higher gas prices start to impact inflation and society, do not forget that we had record high gas prices -before- Russia invaded Ukraine. The invasion has further exacerbated record-high gas prices.

Know it all.

#1893 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:28 PM

General revenues.

Recall that BC has one of the lowest provincial income tax rates in Canada. The difference needs to come from somewhere.

• Brayvehart likes this

#1894 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:34 PM

Recall that BC has one of the lowest provincial income tax rates in Canada. The difference needs to come from somewhere.

And a pretty mediocre median income and exorbitantly high housing costs...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1895 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:57 PM

Recall that many US states have zero income tax.

• Barrrister likes this

#1896 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 02:35 PM

General revenues.

So it reduces taxes... With no carbon tax then other taxes would go up?  I guess I don't get the cash grab comment then....  Gas taxes are also used specifically for transportation "improvements" so I don't think it all goes into general revenue.  If heavy drivers pay more in tax and keeps my income taxes lower I suppose that's ok. ;)

How do they fund public amenities etc. or even State employees?  The must have other tax "cash grabs" then right?  Or pay less for schools etc....  Something has to give...

• vortoozo and Brayvehart like this

#1897 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 07:40 PM

I'm paying now in Arizona what I paid in Victoria last October!

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1898 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:08 PM

Nine states — Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wyoming
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1899 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:11 PM

So it reduces taxes... With no carbon tax then other taxes would go up? I guess I don't get the cash grab comment then.... Gas taxes are also used specifically for transportation "improvements" so I don't think it all goes into general revenue. If heavy drivers pay more in tax and keeps my income taxes lower I suppose that's ok. ;)

How do they fund public amenities etc. or even State employees? The must have other tax "cash grabs" then right? Or pay less for schools etc.... Something has to give...

Sales tax, property tax and voted on "issues" (i.e. do you think think we should increase sales tax by .0001% to fund the building of new schools for 20 years)

Edited by sdwright.vic, 09 March 2022 - 08:11 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1900 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 02:35 AM

So we agree fuel taxes are overly punitive, at least, to mask lower taxes elsewhere.

There are only ten provinces, and we have the highest real estate costs, rental costs, fuel costs, food costs, insurance costs, construction costs, and it goes on. And now we have “spec taxes,” a growing carbon tax and none of the promises made by the NDP have been delivered, except for a doubling of taxes.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users