Photo

St. Andrew's School Public Hearing chat thread

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

Poll: Will council approve this development? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Will council approve this development?

1. Yes - but only just (19 votes [73.08%])

Percentage of vote: 73.08%

2. Yes - unanimously or nearly unanimously (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

3. No - but only just (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No - unanimously or nearly unanimously (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I have no clue how this will turn out. (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#581 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

I know that (small potatoes stuff). I reported them to City of Victoria Bylaw Enforcement.

Really! we have such a thing?

• Daveyboy likes this

#582 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:43 PM

Mr Woodland is earning his keep tonight.

Nice

#583 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

He (Isitt) is being so annoying.

Not nice

#584 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Goodnight, folks!  See you back here on the 8th.

For more exciting posts. :)

#585 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

Gotta love the adversarial format. When this controversy first landed it was all about an evil development versus a bunch of noble urban farmers. But now that we're fully informed we realize that this controversy is actually about an evil development versus a bunch of evil urban farmers.

And maybe now that we know how bad the farm is we may just want to rub their nose in it. It's how I stopped my dog from peeing in the house after all. :P
  • Nparker, sebberry and Bingo like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#586 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:27 PM

And maybe now that we know how bad the farm is we may just want to rub their nose in it. It's how I stopped my dog from peeing in the house after all. :P

You trained him to pee on the farm?  :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#587 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

I'm all for the development, but the hate on for the farm is getting a little over the top.  At the minimum, make a new thread to discuss your evil plots to bring down the farm.

:farmer:

The farmers and the friends thereof have been instrumental in derailing this project.  Hopefully it's not a lost cause.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#588 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

I'm all for the development, but the hate on for the farm is getting a little over the top.  At the minimum, make a new thread to discuss your evil plots to bring down the farm.

:farmer:

You trained him to pee on the farm?  :)

How many Dogs can we get together?

• Nparker, sebberry and sdwright.vic like this

#589 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

Apparently they refer to their farm as a business. But without a license, without zoning, and for all we know, presumably without food safety inspections.

Just a reminder, the owner of the land has indicated to council he wants to redevelop the land into housing and the farm's lease expires in just over a year. That's all documented.
  • Daveyboy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#590 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

....Just a reminder, the owner of the land has indicated to council he wants to redevelop the land into housing and the farm's lease expires in just over a year...

I suspect redevelopment of the "farm" will be entirely contingent upon the decision on the St. Andrew's property. The Masonites/NIMBYs have a powerful vested interest in seeing the site remain derelict.

• Daveyboy likes this

#591 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

Thanks allot VFH... you made me get all food safety concerned that I had to send VIHA a email. This one won't be shared in the event there are spies on this board.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 September 2015 - 09:08 AM.

• Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#592 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

While I have no real concerns about the safety of the food from Mason street farm, neither do I have any reason to actually legitimately think that without some sort of inspection and licensing.  It's the principal.. if we allow everyone to opt out and follow their own rules..  Ironic as they are using the democratic process to fight a building across the street from them, but they have chosen to pick and chose which rules they will follow.  If they believe they can do whatever they want with their property, why can't Bosa put up a View Towers on theirs and completely shade them in? 

Edited by zoomer, 19 September 2015 - 02:54 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry, jonny and 1 other like this

#593 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

The farmers and the friends thereof have been instrumental in derailing this project.  Hopefully it's not a lost cause.

I was wondering if they have any fresh chickens for sale, and if they come plucked.

#594 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

Been super busy all week, but what's the Cole's notes of what went down on Thursday?

This whole circus has been such a joke. Can't believe it's carrying on for a few more weeks at least.

#595 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

^Yeah I know, some massive projects sail through without a peep of protest or at the most the Hallmark Society might express concern which is promptly filed and ignored. I've witnessed proposals and only one or two neighbours speak against and even council says 'that's it?'

I don't know why some proposals are 'meh' and some have six hours of negative comments.

#596 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

Many of the people opposed are activists, they are the people who joined Isitt on Bear Mountain, Mt. Douglas, and so on. We're not seeing concerned neighbours so much as an organized, well versed protest against the project.

Some of the concerns were valid, but much of what is being said has nothing to do with this project and all to do with a political statement.
  • Nparker, sebberry and johnk like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#597 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:48 AM

This project long ago stopped being about the construction of a building and became a focal point for the downtrodden to "stick it to the man".

Edit: Mike expressed my sentiments better than I could. What he said.

Edited by Nparker, 20 September 2015 - 10:49 AM.

• Baro likes this

#598 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

As I mentioned before, I really hope there's enough sane councillors who will recognize the activism fuelling the NO side and vote appropriately (ie, in favor).

Ben Isitt's behavior was disappointing.  He asked several questions of staff and the developer knowing full well how he was going to vote.  Then promptly made a motion to have the proposal "filed" (postponed indefinitely) and when that failed, he made a motion to deny the application. 

Geoff Young made a motion to send it to 3rd reading which would open up council debate on the issue.  But being 1AM, that was postponed. 

Pick and choose your battles, Ben... 

#599 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

Yes this site has become a martyr. The left wing extremists that populate this area are happy to sacrifice this property in the name of stopping the evil capitalists.

#600 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:01 AM

Yes this site has become a martyr. The left wing extremists that populate this area are happy to sacrifice this property in the name of stopping the evil capitalists.

And who employs people and builds homes? 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users