Photo

St. Andrew's School Public Hearing chat thread

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

Poll: Will council approve this development? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Will council approve this development?

1. Yes - but only just (19 votes [73.08%])

Percentage of vote: 73.08%

2. Yes - unanimously or nearly unanimously (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

3. No - but only just (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No - unanimously or nearly unanimously (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I have no clue how this will turn out. (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#601 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

Helps sees through the nonsense. Young, Coleman, Lucas and T-J will as well. The opposition is not their support base, anyways, so they have nothing to lose.

Unfortunately the remaining councillors are towing the NDP party line here. Democracy, right?
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#602 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

...Ben Isitt's behavior was disappointing.  He asked several questions of staff and the developer knowing full well how he was going to vote...

It wasn't just disappointing, it was disingenuous. He fully intends to vote against the proposal so why waste everyone's time asking questions that are in no way going to change his decision?I disliked the man before this, I am starting to loathe him now.

#603 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

Almost makes you wish Shellie Gudgeon was back, eh?  ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#604 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

And who employs people and builds homes? 

It doesn't matter. You see, capitalism only improves the lot of a small bourgeoisie. Every unforeseen social evil has one obvious scapegoat - these neocon elites who are beholden to nothing but greed and their own personal wealth.  

Helps sees through the nonsense. Young, Coleman, Lucas and T-J will as well. The opposition is not their support base, anyways, so they have nothing to lose.

Unfortunately the remaining councillors are towing the NDP party line here. Democracy, right?

Gee, I hope you are right. Either way, the vote will be close. I can't see Young, Coleman or Lucas voting against this. I don't know enough about Thornton-Joe or Alto. This is put up or shut up time for Helps. 

#605 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

It wasn't just disappointing, it was disingenuous. He fully intends to vote against the proposal so why waste everyone's time asking questions that are in no way going to change his decision?I disliked the man before this, I am starting to loathe him now.

For those of us who didn't watch, what did our dear historian and legal scholar do on Thursday?

#606 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

And who employs people and builds homes? 

See, this confuses me too. Why would the local NDP/labour alliance back people like Isitt, or will that support end once and for all after another embarassing term?  If the goal is good paying wages/benefits, increase in affordable housing, avoiding sprawl through appropriate density in developed areas, growing the tax base so we can address our social issues - what exactly has Isitt done to support that?  Who actually is he working for? What's his purpose?  As i said - it's all very confusing.  I think he's trapped in his ideological ivory tower.  If he was only Rapunzel he could let down his hair and someone could rescue him. 

• Nparker and jonny like this

#607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

The man received more votes than any other candidate, including Helps.

He'll be making a run for mayor in the next election.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#608 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

Every unforeseen social evil has one obvious scapegoat - these neocon elites who are beholden to nothing but greed and their own personal wealth.

We should be careful about stumbling into the whole left-wing/right-wing phony-baloney. Have we already forgotten Mr. Isitt's tweet about the U.N. and the Snowbirds? If somebody tweets in defense of neocon global empire then I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that person is probably not anti-neocon.

• jonny likes this

#609 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

...Who actually is he working for? What's his purpose?

This Isitt holy trinity: himself, his ego and his political ambitions.

#610 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

The man received more votes than any other candidate, including Helps.

He'll be making a run for mayor in the next election.

Like his politics or not he is a good politician. The only one in fact that knocked on my door. I see him around a lot. He is active and likeable. He has a good chance of being elected if he runs. Unfortunately....

#611 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:43 AM

Yup. He's not a bad guy.

Know it all.

#612 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:06 AM

Active and likeable, a good guy. With all the wrong ideas!

#613 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

Was away for a while - missed 16 pages of this that are probably just going to get me frustrated. Anyone provide a one sentence update?

#614 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Was away for a while - missed 16 pages of this that are probably just going to get me frustrated. Anyone provide a one sentence update?

Ben isitt and and a few other councillors will vote no and the rest will probably just barely carry the day.  It should get approved on Oct 8.

• thundergun likes this

#615 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

Public input is closed, but council debate and vote happens next meeting.
  • thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#616 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

It's closed, as in there won't be any additional speeches at the next meeting?

Know it all.

#617 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

It's closed, as in there won't be any additional speeches at the next meeting?

Except by the councillors.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#618 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:40 PM

to steal a quote from the National Post on a different topic

'It’s the sort of thing you get when governments let celebrities and activists seize control of the public agenda. Bad ideas, backed by a popular outcry, don’t become good ideas.'

I thought it fit quite well with this issue.

#619 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

BTW.. Absolutely no response to either of my complaints.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#620 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

Except by the councillors.

Are they allowed to talk about the project now?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users