BUILT
727 Johnson Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 727 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
727 Johnson Street is a five-storey rental complex with ground floor retail space along the 700-block of Johns... (view full profile)
Learn more about 727 Johnson Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 727 Johnson Street | 5-storeys | Rentals; commercial | Built | Completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

Does heritage designation come with some sort of financial benefit to the developer? If not, and the building cannot be restored, I see little purpose in trying to achieve this look or designation. Just design a quality contemporary facade. I know I made Pam's head spin with that last sentence.

• zoomer likes this

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:21 AM

It could be that they know there isn't much they can do but they're giving it a shot to see what the City's take on their plan is and whether or not the City feels it is a feasible goal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

Does heritage designation come with some sort of financial benefit to the developer? If not, and the building cannot be restored, I see little purpose in trying to achieve this look or designation. Just design a quality contemporary facade. I know I made Pam's head spin with that last sentence.

The are a few grants and also property tax exemptions:

Commercial or institutional buildings (administered by the Victoria Civic Heritage Trust)

The Building Incentive Program (BIP) provides financial assistance to owners of commercial or institutional heritage designated buildings to assist with facade restoration; structural improvements, upgrading required by building codes, and other rehabilitation costs. Grants may cover up to 50% of the cost of eligible heritage work, up to a maximum of $50,000 per project.

Grants are subject to the availability of funds and the number of applicants.

Tax Incentive Program for Downtown Heritage Buildings

Tax exemptions up to10 years are available for Downtown Heritage Designated buildings that convert upper storeys to residential use.

• Nparker likes this

#24 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for that Linear Thinker! 

I have a feeling another bonus of the heritage designation is the limited number of parking stalls one must provide. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#25 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for that Linear Thinker! 

I have a feeling another bonus of the heritage designation is the limited number of parking stalls one must provide. 

But you have to install hitching posts and watering troughs.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#26 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

It probably has more to do with the residential density they are wanting. I bet the heritage work would be a trade off for some extra residential floor area.

#27 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

It probably has more to do with the residential density they are wanting. I bet the heritage work would be a trade off for some extra residential floor area.

"Fernwoodian"

Is that official?

I think I prefer Fernwoodite  ;)

• Fernwoodian likes this

#28 Skycap

Skycap
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

Reading up on the history of the building and it has great heritage value...  http://thewholestory...727 johnson.htm .  This website has a picture of the building from 1910.  Why not designate it heritage and make them restore it to look like the picture from 1910?  

#29 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Welcome to VibrantVictoria, Skycap!

• Skycap likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

...Why not designate it heritage and make them restore it to look like the picture from 1910?  

Although I certainly have no objections to a quality heritage restoration, I can't see anything particularly special about this building in its original form.

727 Johnson.JPG

• Bingo likes this

#31 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

I've said before some old buildings are just that. Rip em down and build something better.

• Nparker and sebberry like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#32 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

I'm a sucker for turn of the century brick buildings but there's really nothing of value in that and I seriously doubt there's anything worth saving left under all the renovations.  Any heritage value was lost a long time ago, tear it down and re-build if that's the easiest way to go.  Unless it's an architectural gem, anything brick is a major pain in the ass to get up to earthquake standards and even then a lot of insurance companies don't like to write any policies on heritage buildings which can be a real pain for anyone buying into one. What heritage is even left in this building? 

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#33 Skycap

Skycap
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

Haha, good point, the building definitely does look great in the picture.  Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a development similar to the Churchill a block over. Tearing the existing structure down and building new on that size of a site may not be feasible, especially if the developer would be required to meet the parking requirements.    

#34 Skycap

Skycap
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:06 PM

Doesn't look great*

#35 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

One positive step for this street would be to either install bus shelters here (I think you'll need to widen the sidewalk), or work with one of the buildings to install a canopy.  It's a very busy bus stop and it seems odd to me how people have to stand in the rain.

outdoor_metal_bus_stop_shelter_with_ligh

I was thinking that if they add a protected bike up Johnson, they could add a transit island and actually have a shelter there. It is probably the busiest stop in the system without a shelter (not having the numbers, just guessing).

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:16 AM

It is probably the busiest stop in the system without a shelter (not having the numbers, just guessing).

I agree.  Also, not having the numbers should not prevent you from making bold statements on statistics.  Just format it like this:

It is probably the busiest stop in the system without a shelter*

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#37 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

This has since been filed with the C of V - a rezoning to construct a 2 storey addition to the existing building and converting the office building to ground floor commercial and residential above.

• gumgum and thundergun like this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#38 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

Before and after. 

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 1.45.35 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 1.45.53 PM.png

• Mike K., Baro and viccity like this

- Jane Jacobs 

#39 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

OMG the character of Old Town will be absolutely destroyed!

• Nparker likes this

#40 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

Nice little project.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users