Photo

Barge incident - August 28th 2015

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#101 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hey todd did you know the sky was green?

Get off the Psilocybins sdwright.

• Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

#102 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:00 PM

Yes possibly there could be circumstances during the loading process that can lead to your scenario, however during transit/once loaded it would prevent any spillage. Would have prevented loss of cars in the 2013 incident, and prevent bits and pieces from falling off the sides (I think the risk to reward ratio would be worth it, anyone up for the math?).  You don't take chances with a not always predictable beast like the ocean, which is what they're doing there just piling up cars and scrap metal and hoping it will make it across. I've kissed the dock more than a few times around here even in the summer months.

^(calculated risks are sometimes acceptable)

#103 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:52 AM

So we need to have a big enough accident so that blood is shed to enact change?

http://www.gosalandc...-into-shredder/

#104 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

That was a different company

#105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

That was a different company

But Schnitzer is the successor.

http://www.steelpacific.com/

Steel Pacific Recycling is now part of Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc., a global leader in the metals recycling industry.

Valued suppliers, vendors, customers and local communities can continue to expect the same level of service and integrity they have grown accustomed to from the friendly and knowledgeable team that has served them in the past. Our local focus and expertise combined with the global strength and stability of Schnitzer Steel means you can count on us to be your partner in the scrap metal business for many years to come. Join us!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#106 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

ok same location.

I am curios about David Street 

It used to be a public city street that went into that location and around the corner onto Pleasant St

Did the city sell that street to the company?

it doesnt appear to exist any longer and there is a private fence across it.

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

Ya you are right it used to be a fun little corner.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

A number of years back when people could drive in David street they would park their cars on the side near the piles of scrap metal and wrecked cars

A customer did this dropped his metal off proceeded to the office to get his money

He came out and his car was gone.

The crane operator used his grapple to pick the car up and put it in the pile with all the other scrap cars

The car was destoyed.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#109 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, I remember when it was Budget Steel it was hard to tell where the street ended and the scrapyard started. 

As for the load tipping, to my untrained eye, it looked too top heavy. I wonder what an expert would say about that load.

Edited by Rob Randall, 03 September 2015 - 09:25 AM.

• Bingo likes this

#110 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

The barge reacted the same way an iceberg does when the buoyancy compensates for an unbalanced centre of gravity

Edited by HB, 03 September 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

The barge reacted the same way an iceberg does when the buoyancy compensates for an unbalanced centre of gravity

So are you suggesting this accident is only the tip of the iceberg?
  • Nparker likes this

#112 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

It is Lettuce all Romaine calm and not make waves

Edited by HB, 03 September 2015 - 10:09 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#113 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

Times Colonist 

September 3, 2015

More cars fall from barge in operation likened to an arcade game  

More crushed cars and scrap metal toppled into the Gorge Waterway on Wednesday as a crane tried to complete the tedious task of moving cars from one barge to another.

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

I like the part about spectators likening the operation to the arcade game.
  • Nparker and todd like this

#115 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

I agree with you there, mistakes and machinery malfunctions happen, just saying history is worth learning/evolving from.

Just to clarify: (so far, and as far as we know)*

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

As for the load tipping, to my untrained eye, it looked too top heavy. I wonder what an expert would say about that load.

The top picture was provided by Gary H a few posts back and was taken a few years ago. The load appears to taper inward on the ends and seems to be lower in the middle of the barge.

The bottom pictures are recent ones showing the ends of the barge after cars had already fallen off.

8560137427_99d2370164_h.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

IMG_9374.jpg

Edited by Bingo, 03 September 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#117 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

I would love to see how high they would pile it if the Point Ellice Bridge wasn't there.

#118 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

Oh Please....This happens one time in how many decades and now we need better loading and monitoring

I think they have been doing it fine and the safety record is great..one little minor incident where no one was harmed or killed does not justify draconian measures

Relax

Well.. yes?  Im not talking monitoring by some government bureaucrat or something.. just internal procedures..

Documenting problems and their solutions is the basis of any safety or quality assurance program.. Id go out on a limb and say the dude who was sitting in the loader on top of that barge when it started to go over would -love- to see a better system.. once he stops shaking n twitching.. Near Misses should be investigated to prevent deaths..

Nowhere did I say anything about draconian measures.. hell, just common sense.. some sort of inclinometer or level gauge mounted on the barge that would give an indication of its balance..

cakes..

• Daveyboy likes this

#119 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:04 AM

looking at Gary's old picture and the new picture, it looks to me like the barge had about 9-10 layers of cars above the railing two years ago, and 13 layers this time.  I suspect someone just decided to overload it.  

• Daveyboy likes this

#120 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:46 AM

^ And I wonder if that "someone" still has a job. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users