Photo

Riverside Marine - passenger ferry between downtown Victoria and Vancouver | proposed

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Details to follow.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:13 AM

Another passenger ferry between downtown Victoria and Vancouver is being proposed....things that make you go hmmm.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:22 AM

I think it's worth a go.  But is has to be more like a floating bar than a generic boring ferry with airplane seating.  Remember, the last one failed before the internet, I think that's important to note.

• dasmo and jeffifah like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

Interesting: They just built some LNG-powered catamarans capable of ferrying 400 passengers each at speeds of 25 knots for runs in Australia.

http://www.lngworldn...t-in-australia/

http://www.marinetra...ERSIDE_CATALINA

http://www.marinetra...ERSIDE_MANDALAY

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

I'd use this service in a heartbeat if the price is competitive with say, taking the PCL from d/t-d/t (no more than $75 each way)

#6 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

They'll have to build a nice dock facility there won't they?

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

They'll have to build a nice dock facility there won't they?

The press release says they have a water lot.  Not sure how fancy the dock will need to be, guess it depends on size of ship.

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

I'd like to know what Black Ball thinks of this. Remember, it was almost ten years ago a group of connected "stakeholders" wanted to evict the Coho ferry from the harbour to make room for other uses. If this Australian ferry comes here and there is congestion guess who's going to be forced out?

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:43 AM

I'd like to know what Black Ball thinks of this. Remember, it was almost ten years ago a group of connected "stakeholders" wanted to evict the Coho ferry from the harbour to make room for other uses. If this Australian ferry comes here and there is congestion guess who's going to be forced out?

Even the fastest vessel will take 2.5 hours to get to Vancouver, so at best it's here every 6 hours or so.  I think it can be timed to never be here when the Coho is moving in the harbour (they might overnight together occasionally, but in my mind, the new thing would overnight in Vancouver, it's main job at least on the tourism side, is to bring folks here, like how the Clipper brings US tourists here on days trips as it's main job).

#10 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

I think it's worth a go.  But is has to be more like a floating bar than a generic boring ferry with airplane seating.  Remember, the last one failed before the internet, I think that's important to note.

Now this I like! Fast WiFi and a bar. Plus return trips at 1 AM.... 

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

Ya, well what I meant by that is I have no trouble sitting at a bar with friends for 3 hours.  Sitting in an airline seat bored to death for 3 hours sucks, unless I'm going 800kmh.

#12 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

Ya, well what I meant by that is I have no trouble sitting at a bar with friends for 3 hours.  Sitting in an airline seat bored to death for 3 hours sucks, unless I'm going 800kmh.

How about sitting a bar with friends for 3 hours while you are bumping around and bouncing off your seat?

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

How about sitting a bar with friends for 3 hours while you are bumping around and bouncing off your seat?

You've obviously never seen me at a bar. That's standard.
  • zoomer, Jill, lanforod and 2 others like this

#14 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Interesting: They just built some LNG-powered catamarans capable of ferrying 400 passengers each at speeds of 25 knots for runs in Australia.]

http://www.lngworldn...t-in-australia/

http://www.marinetra...ERSIDE_CATALINA

http://www.marinetra...ERSIDE_MANDALAY

I seem to remember that our "fast ferries" could not operate at their advertised speeds for a large portion of the routes because they created a lot of turbulence, waves etc. This effectively negated the "fast" component. Lose the speed advantage and they were just smaller-capacity ships, uneconomical without higher fares due to fixed costs no matter the ship.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 September 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

A little more info coming in now:

- this is more likely to be a tourism/excursion service than a business travel option or substitute for BC Ferries, certainly in terms of cost considering the distance and time of sail

- it will be a passenger-only vessel

- Riverside Marine will occupy the top floor of the Steamship Terminal

- the service is planned between downtown Victoria and downtown Vancouver

- GVHA CEO Ian Robertson does not know if there are any government subsidies or election promises associated with this plan

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

Royal Sealink went up to 37 knots and indeed did the trip in 2.5 hours, I took it lots.  No shore damage.  The fast ferries that BCF built for cars had much more displacement and thus more wake.

RoyalSealinkbinside-jst.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

A little more info coming in now:

- this is more likely to be a tourism/excursion service than a business travel option or substitute for BC Ferries, certainly in terms of cost considering the distance and time of sail

Yup, you make this a classy, fun trip with good dining and booze and it's a winner.  They could team with HA for one-way ferry, flight back.

• jonny likes this

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

If they were to ask me (and people rarely do) I'd tell them, "Right, mates, you do some trial runs in your Cat before you go running out buying furniture and plants for your new office"

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

If they were to ask me (and people rarely do) I'd tell them, "Right, mates, you do some trial runs in your Cat before you go running out buying furniture and plants for your new office"

Like this furniture?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jup-5Xu1OOU

#20 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

Pax-only Cats operate out of downtown Vic every day, and have for a couple decades. So the concerns about wake and Harbour traffic are, to an extent, already addressed.

I do hope the price is somewhat reasonable, particularly with today's announcement that fares on BCF are going up about 10% compounded (1.9% per year) over the next four years. With a Spirit out of service for a substantial portion of the next two years too it could get very busy between Victoria and Vancouver!

There is a commuter oriented proposal for a Pax-only private Cat service between Nanaimo and Vancouver that is funded but having a heck of a time with the Government; not sure if that's Provincial or Federal. Hopefullythese guys won't have the same problems.

Edited by 57WestHills, 16 September 2015 - 04:17 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users