551 replies to this topic

#501 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

In a recent attempt to view the Radius' website I got the following message:

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Please try the following:
  • If you typed the page address in the Address bar,
    make sure that it is spelled correctly.

• Open the www.radiusvictoria.com home page, and
    then look for links to the information you want.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
  • Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
HTTP 400 - Bad Request
Internet Explorer

Make of this what you will.

#502 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

That has certainly changed from last week...The site was fully operational on Friday...You have to wonder when the website goes down...

#503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

Suffice it to say the project as we know it is probably beyond the stalled stage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#504 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

If the project is changing hands, then the website is likely to go down as the old owner will allow the domain to expire.

#505 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

^Good point.

#506 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

Even if they're letting the domain expire, it's kinda stupid how they (whoever "they" are at this point) are handling it, though. According to my query on dotcanuck.com's "WhoIs," the domain is still valid until November of this year. So why not keep the website up? Is there so much bad blood between old and (possibly) new owners?

From dotcanuck, for the domain name ending in .com and .ca:

Registrant: Intersoft
#900-666 Burrard St. Vancouver, BC
V6C2X8 CA

Registrar: NAMESDIRECT

Domain Name: RADIUSVICTORIA.COM
Created on: 27-NOV-06
Expires on: 27-NOV-08
Last Updated on: 12-JAN-08
Administrative, Technical Contact: Hopkins, Ken
khopkins@intersoft.ca
Intersoft #900-666 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC V6C2X8
CA

http://www.dotcanuck.com/en/whois.php

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#507 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

Maybe they plan on changing the name of the project.

#508 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

A new owner will want to put as much distance between him and the previous marketing plans. Erasing the old website makes good sense.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#509 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

If I was a new buyer I would try and distance myself from the residential advertising campaign, which set a new standard for swarminess, in an already swarmy business (IMHO).

(Edit: what Holden said!)

#510 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

Swarmy or smarmy?

I hated that campaign mostly because it used the Comic Sans font.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#511 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

Umm, probably a bit of both...

At least comic-sans made it clear you weren't supposed to take any of it seriously. But that was the problem in my mind - it was impossible to take seriously. My shock at the inability of this project to materialize is underwhelming if the advertising campaign is representative of the judgement of the principals.

#512 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

I also noticed on Monday the Radius signs above the car dealers sign was taken down. Should be putting the R.I.P. sign up soon.

#513 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

I also noticed on Monday the Radius signs above the car dealers sign was taken down. Should be putting the R.I.P. sign up soon.

That's right. I was trying to think what was missing there. Just bare fluorescent tubes now.

#514 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

I heard a rumor that the Radius project has officially been sold to Townline Group as of last Friday. It might explain why the sales office and website are down. I'm going to try and phone an executive at Townline that I know tomorrow and see if there are any truth to the rumors.

#515 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

I heard a rumor that the Radius project has officially been sold to Townline Group as of last Friday.

If this is true, then Townline would own/be developing most of the blocks of Douglas/Blanshard between Pandora and Caledonia; Centro, The Hudson and Radius (or whatever it may get re-named).

#516 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

Any idea what the "redesign" may constitute concorde

I noticed today that the parking lots of that brick building with the gold windows have been dug up like the rest of the Radius site. So the Jack Davis building has a moat going around it now. Does that mean the Radius people bought the development rights for those parking lots or what? I don't know how long Radius has been like that but it's new to me.

#517 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

The developers purchased all the land in the blocks surrounded by Fisgard, Blanshard, Caledonia and Douglas except for the Jack Davis Building and the strip of shops on Douglas that includes, amongst other busineses, Red Hot Video. This includes the IBM building, which I believe is the one to which you refer above amor. Unless something has changed recently all the paved surfaces have been dug up except for a strip leading from Caledonia to the parking garage under the IBM building, and of course the parking area directly behind Red Hot, the market on the corner, the ladies uniform shop etc.

#518 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

I noticed today that the parking lots of that brick building with the gold windows have been dug up like the rest of the Radius site. So the Jack Davis building has a moat going around it now. Does that mean the Radius people bought the development rights for those parking lots or what? I don't know how long Radius has been like that but it's new to me.

Contrary to to the post above, I heard that the IBM guys just bought up rights to park 24/7 behind the car dealer on Blanshard.

#519 victoriaguy

victoriaguy
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

I'm pretty confident that the development did not include the Red Hot Video, etc... part of the block. The IBM building (Victoria Centre) still needs access to their parkade, which would be lost if that block was also developed.

#520 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Townline is in the process of buying the land and development rights, but basically radius wont happen and whatever townline does is going to to be drastically different from the proposed radius. so anything wont be going on there for at least a year as they are going to have to go back to the city to get approval for their new development

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users