[Downtown Victoria] Radius condo & office | 17- & 13-storeys | Canceled in 2008

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#541 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

David Strong was the pres. of UVic but he is still the head of UCW according to their website. I say this because his name is in bold in that article, which I assume is done to emphasize his past, or?

No, I just overbolded. I was just showing they they are planning expansion. It says further in the article it would be an extension of UCW.

#542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

Ah, gotcha.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#543 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

I know what UCW has (or had) signed their lease for at the Radius and it was below what was required to make the project feasable. I won't go into specifics. Even with a long term lease on an old provincial school, they still need significant capital to pay for lease hold improvements and monthy lease payments, money they don't have.

Since I'm stiring up a little bit over UCW, I'll also add that John Schucht is also on the board of directors of Ellis Don, the original general contractor. Ellis Don will likely be gone pretty fast as well.

#544 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

I know what UCW has (or had) signed their lease for at the Radius and it was below what was required to make the project feasable. I won't go into specifics. Even with a long term lease on an old provincial school, they still need significant capital to pay for lease hold improvements and monthy lease payments, money they don't have.

Since I'm stiring up a little bit over UCW, I'll also add that John Schucht is also on the board of directors of Ellis Don, the original general contractor. Ellis Don will likely be gone pretty fast as well.

http://www.ellisdon....d_of_directors/

OK, gotcha. That definitely explains EllisDons involvement as I don't think we've ever seen them around here before.

#545 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

UCW is always talking about amalgamations and expansion. Last year Victoria College of Art joined them and it sunk the art school with enrollment way down and students demanding their money back. (Times Colonist, last week). This year it looks like the partnership with UCW is over and Victoria College of Art becomes Victoria College of Art and Design a second name change in two years. They have a new director, Peter Such, no mention of Mr. Strong on their website.

What UCW needs is to expand their enrollment, I hear it is way down. Check their website, no mention of Faculty or the credentials of faculty. I can't see how it would be an asset to any development at this rate.

#546 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

As a former CDI grad (yep, that was money well spent) and current Camosun student most of these private "universities" and colleges should just die. Profit motive DOES NOT make education better.

#547 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

#548 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

What's with the cryptic post Rob? I thought for sure you'd have all the details of Townline's re-worked proposal for this site.

#549 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

Sorry, that was an accidental post.

Townline hasn't contacted us yet. They probably won't until they have something fleshed out. They keep things pretty close to the vest.

#550 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

But at least when you report it Rob, I can be reasonably sure it's fact.

#551 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:32 PM

Has anyone heard anything about any part of this development? Is there any chance to revive this puppy from the dead?

#552 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Townline has purchased the site and is proposing to build a couple of six and seven storey residential buildings called Hudson Walk - http://www.hudsonwalk.ca/

Here's the new thread -> http://www.vibrantvi...read.php?t=2919

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users