• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:42 AM

http://www.timescolo...tival-1.2067768

Ghouls will be used to attract the living to Government Street next month, when a downtown stretch of the street will be closed to vehicles in an effort to breathe life into an area some see as an off-season dead zone.

Government Street will be blocked to vehicles from noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 25 from Humboldt to Yates streets to play host to Wicked Victoria, an event sponsored by the Greater Victoria Festival Society, featuring music, a fun fair, a harvest market and a kid zone.

“We’re going to rename it Boo Boulevard,” said festival society general manager Kelly Kurta.

Wicked Victoria is being presented in co-operation with the Downtown Victoria Business Association, downtown merchants and the city.

Plans call for a Feeling Ghoully Music Zone with a small stage, lights and entertainment, from Courtenay to Broughton streets.

From Broughton to Fort, a Ghostly Giving area will give non-profits a chance to engage with the community through games and other activities.

There will be a Moonlight Harvest Market from Fort to View and a Too Cute to Spook Wicked Kids Zone from View to Yates, with pumpkin designing, colouring, face-painting, games and a family dance.

There’s also going to be a Monsters Mash March dressup parade for kids.

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

I like this, but why not do it on the 31st?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:33 AM

I like this, but why not do it on the 31st?

Baby steps.  They do not want to potentially adversely affect a shopping Saturday.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Maybe they want to got to IFCon or parties or trick-or-treating on the 31st.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:55 AM

More info:

(first 300 people can purchase a pumpkin to decorate, wristband and glowstick for $5 proceeds to Jeneece Place). 

• Atomique will have a stage local talent, entry to Boo Boulevard, time is 12 - 5pm entrances from Courtney and from yates....about 4 blocks. 
  • Non Profit Zone Ghostly Giving engaging the public
  • Small Harvest market with a 22 ft inflatable pirate ship for the kids to play on
  • Too Cute To Spook Wicked Kid Zone features live broadcast Ocean 98.5 and Kiss with pumpkin design, coloring, face painting, balloon making, checkerboard, Earls is making 3000 cookies for their free cookie decorating station; superheroes, enchanted princesses, Orange Theory Fitness, Magicians and Marty the Marmot will be leading the Monster Mash March Kids Costume Parade! 

• lanforod likes this

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:06 PM

Very busy down there today, looks like they easily exceeded their target (3,000 - 5,000 people).  In typical Victoria fashion, most of the businesses along that stretch don't seem to have done much to get into the spirit (with decorations, specials or staff costumes).

#7 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

Very busy down there today, looks like they easily exceeded their target (3,000 - 5,000 people). In typical Victoria fashion, most of the businesses along that stretch don't seem to have done much to get into the spirit (with decorations, specials or staff costumes).

To which I say, selling mini-donuts on a sidewalk isn't particularly aligned with my definition of the spirit of Hallowe'en either, even with an orange or black tablecloth.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

To which I say, selling mini-donuts on a sidewalk isn't particularly aligned with my definition of the spirit of Hallowe'en either, even with an orange or black tablecloth.

Earls baked up 3,000 cookies, that was cool.  And Bob Galey donated 400 pumpkins.

#9 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

Earls baked up 3,000 cookies, that was cool. And Bob Galey donated 400 pumpkins.

Sure, that's cool. But to me, Hallowe'en is (or was) a time for grownups to meet and treat their neighbours' kids, and for kids to dress up and show off their efforts. Seeing the usual crowd of jam salespeople and such today jarred with that.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

Sure, that's cool. But to me, Hallowe'en is (or was) a time for grownups to meet and treat their neighbours' kids, and for kids to dress up and show off their efforts. Seeing the usual crowd of jam salespeople and such today jarred with that.

Ya, that was part of it.  I'm not sure people got the message well enough that they could/should dress up today.  If I was the Bard or Irish Times manager, I'd have my staff in costumes all this week, starting today.  People love an excuse to dress up.

• JennKa likes this

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

W&J Wilson on the news again complaining. They always hate all these events, saying it kills the car traffic crucial to their business.

#12 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

W&J Wilson on the news again complaining. They always hate all these events, saying it kills the car traffic crucial to their business.

Yet another reason why I refuse to give my money to W&J Wilson. Why should I support a business that isn't supportive of a better Victoria?

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

W&J Wilson ought to get into the spirit.  Hold a cocktail party or private sale for their best customers on this day.  

W&J's website tells me they are not even at 1999, yet alone 2015.  And their 24 fans on Facebook puts them at about 7940 in popularity of over 8,000 FB pages in Victoria.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

It's still a bit hard for me to comprehend that's where all their car/customer traffic comes from, just James Bay.

I dunno.  4 hours one one Sunday afternoon.  For fricks sake, do a sidewalk sale.  

• Jill likes this

#15 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:59 PM

Anyone been to Evil Acres?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

Mrs. Mike K. has created this pumpkin diorama, dubbed Fairfield Horror. Oooh, spooky!

Find her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.../UniquelyCedra/

Pumpkin-1.jpg

pumpkin-2.jpg

Pumpkin-3.jpg

Pumpkin-4.jpg

• Nparker, sebberry, todd and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:07 AM

I like Cher in the graveyard.

• Nparker likes this

#18 JennKa

JennKa
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

Mrs. Mike K. has created this pumpkin diorama, dubbed Fairfield Horror. Oooh, spooky!

Pumpkin-1.jpg

pumpkin-2.jpg

Pumpkin-3.jpg

Pumpkin-4.jpg

Skills!! Excellent job.

• Mike K. likes this

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

Nice work Mrs. Mike.....

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:30 PM

Pumpkin-1.jpg

Nice job.  Will it be on display with all the others on Mt. Doug Parkway tomorrow? :) 

Weather held up OK for the trick or treaters tonight over in Tillicum/Gorge area where I was handing out candy.  Not as many kids as in previous years though, and some didn't even bother to dress up. 

Also strange were the parents driving their kids from house to house - yep! 

• AllseeingEye likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users