PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1401 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:21 PM

there had been many consultations in the first phase about where it would go and it wasn't an issue in the first phases of planning or at a number of the consultations... if there were issues it was fairly minor grumbling and talks about parking issues, worries the playground would be removed and not replaced...the NPNA made a say but it was generally taken as minimal by the city.. up until the election... i remember helps using it as an election issue and made a turn about on the pool placement and now it's a pool without a home (and without funding)

and it is frustrating when there was a very viable option.. and it was taken off the table due to temporary loss of green space and losing a few trees...

it feels like every bit of this has been bungled.. from the planning to the parking, to the land, will it or wont it have low income housing, loss or playground which would get put back(but they didn't tell people that till there was a big outcry).. i don't see this pool being built any time soon it might just be easier to fix up and give a big upgrade the current pool (though that would mean it would be closed for 1-2yrs)

#1402 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:01 AM

of course a fix would be easier. but that does not give everyone a big new building for their resumes.

#1403 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

There ate really two aspects to the NPNA consultation. There was lots of consultation during the initial plan to keep CP in its current location but there was none when it was decided to try and partner with RG or SD61. In fact the first anyone heard about the RG plan was when the Mayor raised at a COTW meeting one day after she apparently had her ‘encouraging’ call with Graham Lee. It is not fair to blame the NPNA for killing any deal.

In my opinion there was one reason and one reason only why the original CP plan tanked and that is because the Mayor failed to get Provincial or Federal funding and a consultant hired by the City to oversee a referendum told them that it would not pass. The blame game was simply a stunt to avoid having the Mayor with a another failure on her resume.

We are where we are today because the Mayor feels that she can sell affordable housing and the other amenities to her base and get enough funding to push a deal through.

#1404 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

...We are where we are today because the Mayor feels that she can sell affordable housing and the other amenities to her base and get enough funding to push a deal through.

Is "affordable housing" part of the CMS plan?

#1405 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

Is "affordable housing" part of the CMS plan?

That is the plan or at least what we know of the plan at this point.

#1406 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

I still think it could be refurbished for less than is being talked about here. I mean you just pull out the old plant add a new one. Take southern patio space and make a family change room. Add some Ramos for accessibility. Bet it would be 25 million tops.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1407 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

Current building is pretty nice IMO just needs to be tweaked. How about they ask us that on the referendum.

It has a whole new look!

#1408 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

I still think it could be refurbished for less than is being talked about here. I mean you just pull out the old plant add a new one. Take southern patio space and make a family change room. Add some Ramos for accessibility. Bet it would be 25 million tops.

The issue is that the estimates for "refurbishing" included far more then what the average person would think of as a refurbishment and no doubt padded to ensure that was not the option chosen. Many of us commented at the time that it was more of a redesign of the facility.

The one estimate that was tossed around on which reflected refurbishing the pool and NOT doing all of the other upgrades and enhancements came in at about $6M if I recall. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1409 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

The issue is that the estimates for "refurbishing" included far more then what the average person would think of as a refurbishment and no doubt padded to ensure that was not the option chosen. Many of us commented at the time that it was more of a redesign of the facility.

The one estimate that was tossed around on which reflected refurbishing the pool and NOT doing all of the other upgrades and enhancements came in at about $6M if I recall. 

The retrofit option was initially estimated at $39.8M, and would extend the lifespan of the facility by only 30 years apparently. The staff report to Council is here: https://www.victoria...t, Dec 2016.pdf

Edited by Jackerbie, 10 May 2019 - 03:53 PM.

#1410 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

^ Also, G-Man you're right on the money. The estimate by Stantec placed construction costs at $24.5M. The full feasibility study is uploaded here: https://www.victoria...y 2016-2017.pdf

#1411 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

The retrofit option was initially estimated at $39.8M, and would extend the lifespan of the facility by only 30 years apparently. The staff report to Council is here: https://www.victoria...t, Dec 2016.pdf

There was a more detailed report, which appears to have since been removed, which outlined what exactly was to be done. I remember commenting at the time that one item was that the door to the electrical panel was starting to corrode so the 'refurbishment' was to move the electrical room to the other side of the building (as opposed to replacing the panel door). 

• Nparker likes this

#1412 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

^ Also, G-Man you're right on the money. The estimate by Stantec placed construction costs at $24.5M. The full feasibility study is uploaded here: https://www.victoria...y 2016-2017.pdf

Not the report I was referring to but still useful to demonstrate my point. The 'refurbishment' option includes items such as "installing an elevator" at a cost of $500K, The $6M I was referring to was to maintain the current facility with its current amenities, not adding to and upgrading what is already there.

#1413 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

I don't see why anything has be changed really. It is a decent pool that I use all the time. Maybe refurbishment is the best option, just like it was with the bridge.

It has a whole new look!

#1414 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

I don't see why anything has be changed really. It is a decent pool that I use all the time. Maybe refurbishment is the best option, just like it was with the bridge.

i have heard there are issues with the pool leaking.. there are also accessibility issues (stairs to access change rooms, stairs to access kids pool, the pools have stairs to get into the pool, i will say there are only 2 private change stalls in the female change room which is sorely lacking and the water pressure in the shower is horrible, there's no proper family change room, and ofcourse where some of the gym equipment is located (it's sorta scattered around and treadmills are in very humid pool area) i'm more then ok with a refurbishment... but they do need to do an addition of other key areas to modernize to fix some of the issues

Edited by Midnightly, 10 May 2019 - 04:59 PM.

#1415 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:52 PM

Those are all minor fixes though.

It has a whole new look!

#1416 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

Not the report I was referring to but still useful to demonstrate my point. The 'refurbishment' option includes items such as "installing an elevator" at a cost of $500K, The $6M I was referring to was to maintain the current facility with its current amenities, not adding to and upgrading what is already there.

I've found the Stantec report. It's here: https://pub-victoria...documentid=6276

#1417 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:52 PM

I've found the Stantec report. It's here: https://pub-victoria...documentid=6276

Thank you.

Any luck with the Stantec report that indicated that a simple refurbishment (as opposed to the upgrade and refurbishment) was $6M?

#1418 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:05 PM

Thank you.

Any luck with the Stantec report that indicated that a simple refurbishment (as opposed to the upgrade and refurbishment) was $6M?

The report I linked has the following:

Option 1: $314,719 (Bare minimum critical upgrades)

Option 2: $6.3M (Refurb)

Option 3: $12.8M (Refurb + expanded fitness space, universal change rooms, universal washrooms)

Option 4: $36.7M (New facility)

Edited by Jackerbie, 14 May 2019 - 01:06 PM.

#1419 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

The report I linked has the following:

Option 1: $314,719 (Bare minimum critical upgrades)

Option 2: $6.3M (Refurb)

Option 3: $12.8M (Refurb + expanded fitness space, universal change rooms, universal washrooms)

Option 4: $36.7M (New facility)

I didn't realize they were combined. Thanks again.

#1420 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

Option 4: $36.7M (New facility)

Which is now nearly doubled!  :eek:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users