PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1441 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

i don't think this council understands the trickle down effect of the decisions they make... heck i don't even think they understand their job and they are meant to represent ALL Victorians... not just the ones that think like them

Agreed, but my point is that their own beliefs are illogical for themselves.   

When you look at integrity, it is what one does not what one says.

The CoV approach to development is opposite to the climate emergency and biking/transportation policy.  

#1442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

So this leaves the Royal Athletic Park as the current choice.

Police who park there won’t be thrilled to lose their parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1443 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:38 AM

Seems just about everyone is replacing pools these days. Rendering for the replacement facility in New Westminster have surfaced. via https://dailyhive.co...cement-may-2019

#1444 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

...Early ballpark estimates peg the project’s construction cost at around $100 million...

$100 million will now be the starting budget for any pool replacement.

#1445 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

$100 million will now be the starting budget for any pool replacement.

Why not, as long as someone else is paying for it. The feds and province are quickly running out of discretionary funds now that the economy is slowing. I suspect that we will see a lot of last minute scrambling to try and get money while it lasts.

#1446 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

Why not, as long as someone else is paying for it...

Last time I checked I was someone else, since I pay both federal and provincial taxes. This is a concept that is completely lost on many local politicians.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1447 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

I don't understand, generally when the economy slows, jobs aren't created? We had large job growth recently.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1448 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

I don't understand, generally when the economy slows, jobs aren't created? We had large job growth recently.

I don't think that the two track in real time. Just because people have a job doesn't mean that they are inclined to spend money. We have had record personal indebtedness for a couple of years now so perhaps people are taking a break.

#1449 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

So this leaves the Royal Athletic Park as the current choice.

Police who park there won’t be thrilled to lose their parking.

The city has made it abundantly clear that they don't care about VicPD. 

• Midnightly likes this

#1450 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

Hmmm. I thought that council was going to kill the Crystal Pool / CMS plans but I see the school board has gone on CTV and the Grumpy Taxpayers are in some sort of dispute with the Mayor.

http://grumpytaxpaye...s-transparency/

https://vancouverisl...?clipId=1694716

#1451 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

No, only the smart ideas get killed.  The dumb ones never die...

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#1452 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:39 AM

They noted that the vast majority of the lowest-income people in Victoria live on the north end of downtown, in North Park and in the Hillside-Quadra area. Nearly a quarter of the 2,000 adults residing downtown and in North Park live in poverty, with similar numbers in Hillside-Quadra. Poorer neighbourhoods are also generally park-deficient, so facilities shouldn’t be built on green space, the North Park residents said.

https://www.timescol...rcle-1.23852755

did anyone bother to check if residents near the pool are currently the highest users? somehow I feel that the lowest income people might not be the highest users of a swimming pool. they might be higher users of video games than higher economic groups though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 June 2019 - 05:40 AM.

#1453 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:46 AM

The COV should stop with the pie-in-the-sky crap and just renovate the Crystal Pool where it sits.

The entire "new pool" thing is a 100% fabricated undertaking designed to buy votes (apparently from the poor people who live North of Pandora).

The last thing the COV needs when there's the Esquimault Rec Centre pool, Commonwealth pool, and Oak Bay pool ... is a new pool.

Add in the COV's apparent lack of funds (such that it can't afford to fund VicPD) makes even a renovation of the current Crystal a somewhat low priority in a city with dozens of far more pressing issues.

• tedward and rmpeers like this

#1454 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:53 AM

They noted that the vast majority of the lowest-income people in Victoria live on the north end of downtown, in North Park ...

And getting poorer after this year's property taxes are paid. :mad:

#1455 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

The COV should stop with the pie-in-the-sky crap and just renovate the Crystal Pool where it sits.

The entire "new pool" thing is a 100% fabricated undertaking designed to buy votes (apparently from the poor people who live North of Pandora).

The last thing the COV needs when there's the Esquimault Rec Centre pool, Commonwealth pool, and Oak Bay pool ... is a new pool.

Add in the COV's apparent lack of funds (such that it can't afford to fund VicPD) makes even a renovation of the current Crystal a somewhat low priority in a city with dozens of far more pressing issues.

a big reason why they didn't want to renovate is it could leave the pool closed for atleast a year or longer leaving the community without a pool for a significant amount of time.. and there are clubs that run out of that pool..

i don't think the COV can't afford the VicPD, it's more a case of council not wanting to pay for VicPD feeling that we're over policed (even though if you call the police to come deal with an issue they might not show up because they have too many higher priority calls to deal with) i'm pretty sure there isn't a large amount of police officers just sitting back drinking coffee waiting for a call for service

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#1456 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

a big reason why they didn't want to renovate is it could leave the pool closed for atleast a year or longer leaving the community without a pool for a significant amount of time.. and there are clubs that run out of that pool..

that's not a reasonable position though.   sorry clubs you might miss out for a couple years.  it's not like they are training olympic swimmers there.

#1457 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

that's not a reasonable position though.   sorry clubs you might miss out for a couple years.  it's not like they are training olympic swimmers there.

i didn't say it was reasonable... i just said it was a big part of why they want to build new.. so they don't have to shut down the pool for a couple of years, taking a pool away from the community (many use the pool as an affordable way to exercise, or an affordable family outing) along with the teams that regularly train out of there

#1458 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

...that's not a reasonable position though.

Are we sure? That's been one of the big questions throughout this saga: why is the CoV supposed to be so worried about swim clubs when other municipalities (the ones that don't have large pools) are not? Are the swim clubs a huge cash cow or aren't they? If they are a huge cash cow then why have some municipalities never bothered to try grabbing a piece of that pie? If they're not a huge cash cow then why does the CoV need a big pool in the first place?

#1459 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

It takes us right back to square one. When you're going to build a new aquatic centre, what size pool does the community really need? If you don't need a big pool then it's a whole new water polo game re: the budget, potential sites, etc.

From the 2007 Halifax study:

The case for provision of a 50 metre pool:
The research concludes the primary reason for provision of a 50 metre pool for any community in Canada is to train aquatic developmental to high performance athletes. Rental of lane space is high in all 50 pools studied. The % of use for athletic training purposes is higher in most 50 metre pools when compared against statistics known about 25 metre pool usage. Most communities reviewed have a strong commitment to sport development and see this as part of their recreation mandate. Neither the Recreation Blueprint nor the IRFMP reflect this sentiment as much as other selected communities.

Most 50 metre pools in Canada have been constructed as a direct result of hosting of a set of Games or serve the training needs of varsity athletes.

#1460 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:56 PM

It won't take a year to do a basic renovation of the pool. Lets remember that renovating what we have is $6M. What the City is representing as a year long "renovation" is a full overhaul and redesignng of the facility and is 5x that much.

Edited by spanky123, 13 June 2019 - 06:21 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users